Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-09-2010, 09:49 PM   #16
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
It's odd, but the issue is clearance was not made by the original publisher for e-rights in markets outside the US. This also means none of Ms Penny's ebooks are available in any Canadian elibrary. Sad, sad, sad but true. However, negotiations are in place I am told to sort this through. Perhaps in 2011 we Canadian residents will have access to our own celebrated mystery author.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 04:20 PM   #17
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Great news! ALL of Louise Penny's mystery novels are now available in Canada from Kobo and Amazon -- including her first title, Still Life. There was a change of publisher from Headline to Little, Brown recently and this has now flowed through to the retail bookshelf.

Canadians can now read, as e-books: Stiil Life, Dead Cold (US: A Fatal Grace), The Cruellest Month (US: The Cruelest Month), The Murder Stone (US: A Rule Against Murder), The Brutal Telling and Bury Your Dead and purchase these from Kobo at abt $6.19 or Amazon for abt a dollar more.

And coming Aug 30: A Trick of the Light, the seventh of the Three Pines Mysteries starring Chief Inspector Armand Gamache.

Last edited by SensualPoet; 04-17-2011 at 04:31 PM. Reason: correct spelling of title
Advert
Old 04-18-2011, 09:11 AM   #18
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Wonderful news for you Canadian folk! She is an incredible writer - who elevates her mysteries into novels - she has created a fantastic microcosm in Three Pines. Enjoy!
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:29 AM   #19
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
When I read The Brutal Telling, I thought, "wow, she used to write cozy mysteries (very good ones) but she's really written something more with this book", and I was very impressed. Then, I finally broke down and bought Bury Your Dead. I was completely enthralled. I couldn't put it down. What a wonderful book that was. Among the best I've read this year.

I suspect I'll be breaking my $10 rule for the next one, as well.
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:37 AM   #20
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrowley View Post
When I read The Brutal Telling, I thought, "wow, she used to write cozy mysteries (very good ones) but she's really written something more with this book", and I was very impressed. Then, I finally broke down and bought Bury Your Dead. I was completely enthralled. I couldn't put it down. What a wonderful book that was. Among the best I've read this year.

I suspect I'll be breaking my $10 rule for the next one, as well.
I totally agree: "The Brutal Telling" was an unexpected powerful jolt! When I read "Bury Your Dead" I often had tears uncontrollably running down my face - at more than one scene. I can't wait to see what she can possibly follow this up with?
Advert
Old 04-19-2011, 11:39 PM   #21
SensualPoet
Wizard

A nice little plus ... the Louise Penny titles have dropped a couple of dollars across all titles at both Kobo and Amazon, at least from my Canadian vantage point. They are considerably cheaper than the original paperbacks at this point. If you haven't sampled the series, here's a fine excuse to spend a few bucks and be rewarded with some terrific entertainments.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:00 AM   #22
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
I just picked up her whole collection for under $25. Great deal!

Last edited by Wetdogeared; 04-20-2011 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Reworded and added link
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 11:59 AM   #23
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Never understand why soft drinks, etc.. can be regular.

Makes them sound like a some sort of emetic...................
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 12:09 PM   #24
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
Thanks for the recommendation. I don't know her but I found that a whole lot of her titles were available on amazon.co.uk, so I've bought Still Life.
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 03:29 PM   #25
SensualPoet
Wizard

Still Life is charming a great place to start ... at the beginning.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:05 PM   #26
SensualPoet
Wizard

I missed this ... Bury Your Dead won Louise Penny her FOURTH Agatha Award from the folks at Malice Domestic on Apr 30. Congrats, Ms Penny!
Old 06-01-2011, 11:52 AM   #27
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Great books and highly recommended. The only one I didn't enjoy and didn't finish was the 4th, and that may well just have been that I read it at a bad time. Going to go back and try again.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:03 PM   #28
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
I missed this ... Bury Your Dead won Louise Penny her FOURTH Agatha Award from the folks at Malice Domestic on Apr 30. Congrats, Ms Penny!
Well deserved! This was a stunning book!
Old 06-28-2011, 01:53 PM   #29
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
I was able to buy Still Life from the iBooks Store for $11.99 - in Canada! I actually have a copy from the library but it's due tomorrow. I really didn't think the transaction would go through, but Apple seem to have missed the geographic restrictions. Borders let me click on "Buy Now" but changed its mind at the last minute when it verified my address on my account. So I'll have to read it on my iPad. (Kobo and Amazon/Kindle both noted it was unavailable in my area from the start, and they were both less than $8.00 according to Inkmesh)

The library book is decrepit and falling apart, and has 103 holds for the 11 copies in the library so I can't renew it.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:23 PM   #30
SensualPoet
Wizard

These were all available at Kobo and then they all got pulled again. But Kindle has them all as does Barnes and Noble for Canadian sales.

Tags
armand gamache, canadian, detective novel, mystery