Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-24-2010, 11:36 AM   #16
MangaEbooker
Connoisseur
MangaEbooker began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
I'm curious why 4GB wouldn't be enough for you? Or even 2 or 1GB for that matter. Unless you don't have a laptop and an MP3 player and need to store your entire collection of books, audiobooks and music on the eReader...?

And how often do you anticipate changing that battery?

I don't understand the swipe turning preference either as it requires two hands on the Nook.

We'll see but those that have seen it say it's noticeable. And that's a gain for something that costs less...
Well I already hit 6gb since I like to read Manga(series sometimes take up 1-2gb at once). About the battery well I take very good care of my devices and have had batteries that were built into devices die out while they were still in very good condition. I would like to keep the same reader for years on end without having this happen. I always hold it with two hands, guess it feels better to me that way, I just feel its more natural to flick the screen then to press a button, I tried it the button way, got aggravated quickly and realized I bought the right reader.

Last edited by MangaEbooker; 08-24-2010 at 11:39 AM.
MangaEbooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 12:18 PM   #17
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
I don't understand the swipe turning preference either as it requires two hands on the Nook.
Not necessarily. I've swiped with one hand, just using my thumb.

It's all about preferences though... for me, the nook has what Kindle doesn't, the ability to borrow ebooks from my library. And I like the swipe... much nicer for me than constantly button pushing. And the touchscreen is easy to clean.

So far, I've not found the touchscreen to be a particular problem for reflection. I mean it does, any glossy black surface will do that, but I just position it so it isn't bothering me. An anti-glare screen protector also helps and diminishes fingerprints.

At any rate, no buyers remorse here, the nook is working out well. Is it perfect? No... I'd like longer battery life, lighter weight and most importantly, more organization. (I know I can get the latter via softroot, but promised hubby not until the extended warranty expires, sigh.)
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2010, 12:47 PM   #18
AdrianM
Connoisseur
AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: nook, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenophon View Post
For me, the big deal with the nook is having convenient access to my entire library, all on the device at the same time. Doing this requires soft-rooting the nook, and using three pieces of software: two on your computer (Calibre, calibre2opds) and one on your nook (trook).
  • Use Calibre to organize your eBooks. Specifically, get the authors, titles, and series set up correctly.
  • Use calibre2opds to produce a catalog of your books and then copy both catalog and books to the add-on memory card on your nook.
  • Use trook to browse your newly created catalog on the nook.

The key things here are that calibre2opds produces an opds-formatted catalog of the books (by reading the Calibre data), and that trook knows how to read, display and navigate that catalog.

You can drill into your library:
  • by series
  • by author
  • by title
  • by date added
  • by tag
(and maybe more). In each case, trook displays a reasonable set of choices for drilling in farther: (e.g. "Series starting with 1", "Series starting with "A", "Series starting with "B", etc.).

This combination supports something that is not currently possible with the built-in software of any stand-alone ebook reading device -- fast and convenient access to any book in a multi-thousand volume library!

Xenophon
Um, okay. Cool.

But. Why would the vast majority of people ever want to do that?
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 12:53 PM   #19
AdrianM
Connoisseur
AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MangaEbooker View Post
Well I already hit 6gb since I like to read Manga(series sometimes take up 1-2gb at once). About the battery well I take very good care of my devices and have had batteries that were built into devices die out while they were still in very good condition. I would like to keep the same reader for years on end without having this happen. I always hold it with two hands, guess it feels better to me that way, I just feel its more natural to flick the screen then to press a button, I tried it the button way, got aggravated quickly and realized I bought the right reader.
Ah, Manga. I guess I didn't account for Manga readers but then I don't understand those that read comics on a monochrome display with 8 levels of greyscale instead of a laptop or a tablet anyway.

As for the battery. Yeah people say the same thing about the iPhone.
Old 08-24-2010, 12:55 PM   #20
AdrianM
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by graycyn View Post
Not necessarily. I've swiped with one hand, just using my thumb.

It's all about preferences though...
I guess the swiping page turns would be nice if they'd implemented it properly. Seems a bit of a sledgehammer to put in a shiny colour touch screen to solve that one though; a simple anti-reflective touchpad would have been so much better - like I have on my laptop.
Advert
Old 08-24-2010, 01:18 PM   #21
MangaEbooker
Connoisseur

Quote:
Ah, Manga. I guess I didn't account for Manga readers but then I don't understand those that read comics on a monochrome display with 8 levels of greyscale instead of a laptop or a tablet anyway.

As for the battery. Yeah people say the same thing about the iPhone.
Because reading on a LCD causes my eyes to bleed...Hurts way to much to read on a Pc screen. I notice no glare honestly, well it does not distract me, it goes off after a second of opening an ebook so...meh. Well yeah people say the same about many electronics, but I assume most people upgrade there phones on a yearly or at least after 2 years so this should not be that much of a concern. An Ereader however I would like to keep way past 2 years and the life span on a battery does start to give out if not die altogether after about 2 years. About the organization, many many people want that from what I see on these types of boards. I am one of them.

Anyways, there is no point in arguing this since it really comes down to what you like, its all preference.

Last edited by MangaEbooker; 08-24-2010 at 01:20 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:30 PM   #22
ManosHandsOfFate
Addict
ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, K3, Fire, Nexus 7
Quote:
I also found the Nook to be a disappointment - you can see my thread here; https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93750
Well, I'm not sure I'm quite as down on the Nook as you are. The touchscreen works well enough. The main purpose of the device is to read and I expect to spend the vast majority of my time doing that - not navigating through menus and choosing books.

Quote:
Honestly, I don't understand the praise the touch screen gets; it's more annoying than anything with its reflections and glare from overhead lights and the clunky GUI.
For me it's really just about the reflectivity of the touchscreen and the white bezel. I honestly don't understand how this isn't more annoying to people. I was really surprised that reviewers rarely mention it.

I think it's jarring to go from a completely non-reflective book to looking at a "page" with light bouncing back at you.

I suspect I would totally hate reading on an iPad. . .

Quote:
I've been forcing myself to try to get used to it by reading a few books but every now and then one of the very annoying features shows its ugly head and I find them impossible to ignore. So distracting and so unnecessary. Thankfully the designers of the new K3 had far more sense and focused on what makes for a good reading experience.
I actually gave up on the Nook after a couple reading sessions but since I won't be getting my K3 for a while, I'm going to give it more of a chance. I suppose it's possible that I'll get used to it.

If I can't get used to it I guess the Nook will go up on Ebay and I'll give the K3 a whirl.

For me the reading experience really is paramount. Issues like battery life and file format support are secondary.
ManosHandsOfFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 02:31 PM   #23
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
I guess the swiping page turns would be nice if they'd implemented it properly. Seems a bit of a sledgehammer to put in a shiny colour touch screen to solve that one though; a simple anti-reflective touchpad would have been so much better - like I have on my laptop.
yeah sony tried that and how did that work out? You're left with a secondary screen that would make your reflective fetish scream and a very dull low contrast screen

they sledgehammered the page swipe in? Whatever, that works extremely smooth. You are waay of base here.

Dude either you work for Amazon or Barnes and Noble just fired you.

either way holy crap man it's like your on this one man crusade to bring down the Nook.

Last edited by boswd; 08-24-2010 at 02:38 PM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 03:32 PM   #24
AdrianM
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
yeah sony tried that and how did that work out? You're left with a secondary screen that would make your reflective fetish scream and a very dull low contrast screen
I guess you don't know what a touchpad is right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
Dude either you work for Amazon or Barnes and Noble just fired you.

either way holy crap man it's like your on this one man crusade to bring down the Nook.
Says the man that turns up to defend the Nook in every thread with Nook related criticisms.... Seems like you're unable to bare the fact that anyone has objective criticisms of your beloved toy. Seriously dude, get some perspective.

Oh, and you see that guy that started this thread? That's another that finds the reflectivity and glare on the Nook to be very distracting. Funny that huh?
Old 08-24-2010, 03:43 PM   #25
ManosHandsOfFate
Addict
ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManosHandsOfFate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Oh, and you see that guy that started this thread? That's another that finds the reflectivity and glare on the Nook to be very distracting. Funny that huh?
I hope I'm not coming off as a Nook basher. As I said earlier, I'm just really surprised that more people aren't bugged by the reflectivity.

Maybe it says more about me than the device. . .
Old 08-24-2010, 03:56 PM   #26
AdrianM
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManosHandsOfFate View Post
I hope I'm not coming off as a Nook basher. As I said earlier, I'm just really surprised that more people aren't bugged by the reflectivity.

Maybe it says more about me than the device. . .
Ignore the kool-aid drinking Fanboy; he can't deal with people that don't fall over themselves to worship the Nook. Who knows, maybe he's the B&N employee.

There seems to be relatively few of us that are overly sensitive to the reflections and glare but I have found others complaining about it here and there. A pity I didn't see them before I purchased though as I would have been dissuaded I think.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:04 PM   #27
ManosHandsOfFate
Addict

Quote:
There seems to be relatively few of us that are overly sensitive to the reflections and glare but I have found others complaining about it here and there. A pity I didn't see them before I purchased though as I would have been dissuaded I think.
In retrospect I should have actually gone to the store and spent some quality time with one (an advantage the Nook as over many other eReaders). All I really did was look at it for about 30 seconds and read a bunch of reviews.

Still, things like that aren't always obvious, even in a demo. I ride the subway every day and find the fluorescent lights used on the train cars to cause the worst reflection.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:46 PM   #28
MangaEbooker
Connoisseur

I really feel at this point in the thread that AdrianM is just trying to start fights...Kool Aid...Really man? ugghhh whatever, end result is all ebooks have there ups and downs, get over it.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:35 PM   #29
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Ignore the kool-aid drinking Fanboy; he can't deal with people that don't fall over themselves to worship the Nook. Who knows, maybe he's the B&N employee.

Oh please, he voiced his concerns and moved on to his other options unlike you who starts jumping in every single Nook thread and bashes on it. It's like you are obsessed.

I like the use of the term Kool aid drinker. That's quite ironic. seeing how the use of the term "drinking the Kool aid" usually is reserved for people who buy products based on the sheep mentality ( normally Apple products, iPods and iPhones) which in turns gives it the "best selling" product because everyone esle is buying it. Hmmm what product have you been touting? let me see the Kindle 3, that only one review has actually come out on it. but yet you are buying it unseen and untouched.

Oh YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 06:23 PM   #30
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
The average age of the topic's members is rapidly approaching 11 years. And I daresay it's not my, EmangaBooker's or the OP's fault.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote