Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-11-2007, 02:59 PM   #1
Cpt. Tim
Cpt. Tim began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Hardcover home brew MKII

after fiddling with these i discovered that the felt is pretty unnecissary, and actually just ends up getting lots of felt debris on the screen which needs to be constantly wiped off.

Keeping the inside of the book intact also improves the aesthetic.

Cpt. Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 03:07 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Seems a shame to cut up an old Hardy Boys book, when folks spend a lot of time looking for them, but I applaud the choice of title -- it seems remarkably appropriate somehow.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2007, 03:12 PM   #3
Cpt. Tim

this one was in pretty rough shape, out of the bunch i found at the salvage place i chose the one with water damaged pages.

as i said in the first thread, i try to find books that wont be missed, i aim for damaged ones, or books about trivial subjects.

Last edited by Cpt. Tim; 06-11-2007 at 03:23 PM.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:17 PM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh, I didn't mean to complain, I was just lamenting the loss. Even though it was already lost in this case, I'm still a bit saddened, that's all.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:30 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I do have fond memories of reading The Hardy Boys when I was a lot younger. What you should have used was an old Nancy Drew book.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2007, 11:50 AM   #6
Cpt. Tim

there were a bunch of those too but they were in pretty decent shape. i'll keep an eye out though, the salvage place gets in new stuff all the time.

and for those of you in the bay area, thats urban ore salvage on ashby avenue... i believe that area is still technically berkeley.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:39 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I do have fond memories of reading The Hardy Boys when I was a lot younger. What you should have used was an old Nancy Drew book.
You can't say that! I used to have a crush on Nancy Drew .

I collect old "juvenile" books - Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys, Tom Swift, etc. The original HB books were wonderful - then they ruined them by re-writing them all to be "politically correct".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 04:12 PM   #8
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 /prs 650 soon
OH I loved and read Nancy Drew books when I was a kid........... read lots and lots of those. Probably could down one of those a day now.
Aprilbeginnings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 08:05 AM   #9
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Looks cool. Definitely brings back some memories of all the books I read as a kid; I read both Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew (can you believe they're about to release a ND movie in the theaters? HB's too!). I guess these books tend to lend themselves to this purpose as I remember them being a tad smaller than normal-sized hardback books.
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 08:24 AM   #10
Aprilbeginnings
Guru
Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Aprilbeginnings has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-500 /prs 650 soon
Yes they were pretty small, probably 100 or so pages......probably now that I think about it dust one in a couple of hours if they still keep my attention..... actually I have run into a few *out there* and have them in .rft form and read one...... didn't give me the chills as they did as a kid but that is to be expected.
Aprilbeginnings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 08:54 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

At least with the HB's the re-written "sanitized" versions were considerably "slimmer" than the earlier originals. They chopped a lot of material out. Perhaps they thought that kids in the 1950s and 60s had lower standards of reading than had been the case in the 20s and 30s.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:18 AM   #12
NatCh
Gizmologist

I always thought that was the real motivation, Harry.

I loved Nancy Drew as a kid (still have a thing for redheads, but obviously not too much of one: my wife's a dark blond). I've read a couple of the original ones again recently (in paper -- it was before the Reader's launch), and like Karen, I didn't find them as riveting, but they're still pretty good. One of these days I may break and buy the set of "original" texts, to see what they were like, I've only ever read dumbed-down version.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:14 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

The first dozen or so of the original HBs were reprinted recently by a company called "Applewood Books" - they are fascimiles of the original printings and very nicely done. Available from Amazon.

It's easy to see WHY they were revised - they use words for (for example) black and Chinese people which would be considered grossly offensive today.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:32 PM   #14
NatCh
Gizmologist

Surely they could have removed the words without totally rewriting the things, it had to be more work to do that.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:39 PM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I completely agree with you, yes. I have both the original and the revised versions of them and, comparing them, the revised versions, which are about 3/4 the length of the originals, have lost all their "atmosphere". I really don't understand why they couldn't have just removed the racist stuff and left the story alone. I can only guess that perhaps they thought that teenagers wanted shorter, "easier" books to read.

BTW, you can't insult Nancy by calling her a "redhead" - her hair, at least in the original books - was always "titian" (whatever "titian" might be ). I think she did become a redhead in the revised versions, though.