Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-30-2009, 01:25 AM   #16
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfy View Post
I really don't see how anyone can compare current e-ink based technology to an Apple tablet or reading on a computer: isn't NOT having a screen and getting the comfort of reading on paper the main reason the current generation of ereaders were released? Isn't it why there doing well? So why is that silly sod still ranting on the comparative advantages of an Apple tablet?

And I love the bit about integrating reading with everything else. I can see the one size fit all future now: a device the size of an Apple notebook, with dual screen LCD/e-ink, and when held with both hand close to the hears, will be a very acceptable phone...
And you can fold it down to the size of a stamp to conveniently carry it in your pocket!
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 02:54 AM   #17
Alfy
Liseur de Bonne Aventure
Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alfy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
And you can fold it down to the size of a stamp to conveniently carry it in your pocket!
Yeah, and it also makes decent coffee in the morning... Wishful thinking!
Alfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2009, 03:16 AM   #18
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Issue #1 is silly. Don't by a reader because Apple might release a tablet. Yeah right.
Yes and don't buy a new pc because there's a better one tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Yeah, but to be fair he said such a device would lead to a deluge of competing devices.
And that's the way of it in electronics. As soon as something new comes out, there will be plenty of like products. And as there is always something new coming out, why buy now? There will be something better next week...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
And I'd agree with that. For the non-avid reader it's probably best to keep waiting and see what happens in the tablet and netbook areas since such folks don't really need/want a device that's only purpose is reading.
I don't agree that it's always better to wait. I'd say it's better to buy a cheaper variety. Let's say you can get a reader for $150 now. Or you can wait for that brand new super-de-luxe, all-inclusive, 6-star reader in 6 months. Which will be $300. And then you buy it and decide it's not for you... While if you had bought it now, for $150, you would have saved money and time...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 03:25 AM   #19
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Yes and don't buy a new pc because there's a better one tomorrow!

And that's the way of it in electronics. As soon as something new comes out, there will be plenty of like products. And as there is always something new coming out, why buy now? There will be something better next week...

I don't agree that it's always better to wait. I'd say it's better to buy a cheaper variety. Let's say you can get a reader for $150 now. Or you can wait for that brand new super-de-luxe, all-inclusive, 6-star reader in 6 months. Which will be $300. And then you buy it and decide it's not for you... While if you had bought it now, for $150, you would have saved money and time...
I agree... If we had to wait for the new technology, we would be waiting forever... and I would still not have a computer, a netbook or a Palm, on which I can read e-books...

I got my first computer in 1991. It had 40mb of hard drive and 1meg of ram... I loved it! Couldn't believe all the information it could store..
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 03:54 AM   #20
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfy View Post
I really don't see how anyone can compare current e-ink based technology to an Apple tablet or reading on a computer: ...
Good point. Hadn't thought about that. Can't see myself in bed with a the screen of my desktop tugged up beside me.

Reading the article I wonder if the writer is a reader? And if he is, has he really tried using an eReader, tablet or computer?
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2009, 03:57 AM   #21
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post

I got my first computer in 1991. It had 40mb of hard drive and 1meg of ram... I loved it! Couldn't believe all the information it could store..
40MB wooooooooow and 1MB Ram - OMG, when i got the first we couldn't even imagint that. Ups, kinda gave age away here. And no, it wasn't a stone tablet.

Can't remember the configuration, but the screen had 2 colors: black & green. The good old 5 1/4 floppy disc got used heaps - didn't store all that much on it either. And snakes was the game to play
Old 11-30-2009, 04:30 AM   #22
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katti's Cat View Post
40MB wooooooooow and 1MB Ram - OMG, when i got the first we couldn't even imagint that. Ups, kinda gave age away here. And no, it wasn't a stone tablet.

Can't remember the configuration, but the screen had 2 colors: black & green. The good old 5 1/4 floppy disc got used heaps - didn't store all that much on it either. And snakes was the game to play
No, no, not snakes! We had a kind of arcanoid game.... Which was very addictive! (hey, and it was even an an Apple!)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 05:10 AM   #23
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Issue #1 is silly. Don't by a reader because Apple might release a tablet. Yeah right.
Personally, I think current ereaders look pretty cheap compared to the rumours of a $2k OLED tablet....
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 06:20 AM   #24
owlrigh
Bibliomanist
owlrigh began at the beginning.

Device: [past:PRS-700, PRS-505, PRS-T2] Now: Kobo Glo HD, Samsung G7 Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katti's Cat View Post
When I was first using computers one of them had no hard drive and ran off cassette tapes -- that was the old one. The other one was very basic and ran off 8 inch floppies ... yon 5 1/4 inch ones were new and hip! And I was agog at the 3 1/2 inch! They were so cool, so new, and they didn't break in your hands!

The sad part is I'm not even 30 yet; I was far behind in the times...
owlrigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 07:49 AM   #25
zacheryjensen
Addict
zacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, iPhone 4
I gave a lot of thought to this topic and almost wrote an article about it myself but I finally concluded that there was pretty much two issues at hand:

1) Chances are, if your gift target is a good candidate for a dedicated reader, they already have one by now or plan to get a specific one. If you're going to gift it to them you need to know that specific one, or you're just going to be giving them something to take back to the store.

2) The bigger issue is that, in a large way, giving a gift of an eBook reader is like giving a gift of a cell phone contract. Though they are less aware of it. In most cases, you're going to be leading them towards tying themselves down to a single store and so on. It's a bigger decision than which device you like, especially for people who don't already know about public domain books, and non-DRM sites, and all that.

So, I figured... either you're giving them shackles or you're giving them what they already have or risking a huge annoyance. Not very good odds on it being a great gift. But if you KNOW they want it, and know which one... go for it
zacheryjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:20 AM   #26
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
You have to love someone who's number 1 reason for not recommending an eBook reader as a gift is because a rumored device that will almost undoubtedly cost more, and very probably not be as good for reading books has neither been announced nor released yet.

"Don't get one because in six or eight months you might be able to get something that costs twice as much and doesn't do the job as well."
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:49 AM   #27
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
what an IDJIT!!!! here we have yet another person giving more or less a review... "and the best one isn't available..." (more or less what he wrote) without ever having touched one!!!!! the nook is reaching biblical status! people must be getting devine revelations as to how it works! un-f*cking believable!!!!

and then there is this;

3. There are so many other new ways to read e-books
The purpose of e-book readers is to read e-books. But there are so many other ways to do that now. You can read them on mobile phones and on PCs, for example. (Even many Kindle owners these days read most of their books on their iPhones. Amazon gives away free applications for both phones and PCs.) You can borrow e-book readers now from the library. Your loved one may not have an e-book reader, but they have a world of access to e-books.

yes, the iphone app IS there, but seriously!!! Even many Kindle owners these days read most of their books on their iPhones seriously? I think not!

and, ok, I'll admit it if this is ignorance on my part, but are there really libraries loaning out ereaders? in this universe?
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:08 AM   #28
Katti's Cat
Wizard

OOh Kindlekitten - you have spoken from my heart. love your post
Old 11-30-2009, 09:12 AM   #29
narbeauchamp
Groupie
narbeauchamp has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS700BC/PRS505/TZ350N/MacBook/Aspire One/iPad/iPhone/BB 9630
@kindlekitten that's what I'm trying to figure out,where are libraries that are loaning out ereaders...the only way I can conceive of this is maybe university libraries (where in some cases laptops are lent out-but even then is that not usually for use while IN the library ?)

And again,if I were considering gifting a reader (which I am),it would only be while consulting with and taking into accounts the needs of the recipient.IE- I may prefer my Sony,but someone who doesn't really spend much time at the computer,or just wants an easy way to buy books-I'd probably gift a nook or a Kindle-something where they could easily manage to get books on their own.Or..I'd get someone considering a device the device they are leaning towards-and willing to show them how to get around and find most of what they need,if I know how....

Such a strange article...
narbeauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:13 AM   #30
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I agree silly article

"Everybody who wants an eReader already has one"

sure, that's why Amazon sales are plummeting and Barnes and Noble can't even give those nooks away. <-----------------------(disclaimer: that is me being sarcastic in case you couldn't tell)
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote