Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-01-2009, 07:50 AM   #1
Zero9
Zealot
Zero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Touch
Can I delete the Digital Editions\Thumbnails PNGs?

When I view the few photos I've stored on my PRS-505, I also see a bunch of book covers listed as being able to be viewed as well. While browsing the internal memory, I found these book cover images in this directory:

E:\Digital Editions\Thumbnails\database\media\books

The funny thing is, there are book cover images in this directory for books I've DELETED off my device. I've connected to the device with both Calibre and Adobe Digital Editions, so I'm not sure if these image files were created when I read the ePubs on the PRS-505 or when I connected to it with Adobe Digital Editions. None of the books on my reader are DRM secured.

Any reason why I shouldn't delete them? Any way I can stop them from getting created in the future?
Zero9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:30 AM   #2
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: iPhone, iPad, PRS-650
Hi Zero9,

I never noticed this Thumbnail directory before you mentionned it.

It's funny, because the PRS-505 does not display thumbnails of the books stored in its memory, now does it ?

An educated guess would be that they are useless, but when looking a bit deeper, I found out that they are referenced by XML metadata files (e.g. e:\Digital Editions\manifest.xml)...

You can still make a backup, try and delete them, and tell us if you crashed your Reader ...

Cheers,
David.
dpierron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2009, 10:08 AM   #3
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
The thumbnails can be deleted. I believe what happens is ADE copies the cover as a separate item. Each book through ADE will have the ebook and accompanying cover which will be saved as a picture. When the book gets deleted the picture does not get deleted.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 07:36 PM   #4
Renaldo
Addict
Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
I've got the thumbnails without using ePub or ADE. I'm wondering if there is/was a feature that never got implemented that allowed you to browse by cover.
Renaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 05:25 PM   #5
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaldo View Post
I've got the thumbnails without using ePub or ADE. I'm wondering if there is/was a feature that never got implemented that allowed you to browse by cover.
You can browse by cover (thumbnail) on the PRS-700 which you can then touch to go to that book. Maybe it's just some piece of code that is shared by both devices, but not implemeted on the PRS-505.

WDE.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2009, 08:31 PM   #6
Renaldo
Addict
Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Yeah, that must be it, or something like it anyways. Kind of a cool feature, and I can see how it would be convenient on a touch screen.
Renaldo is offline   Reply With Quote