Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-11-2009, 10:57 AM   #1
CChamp
CChamp began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Reason For Calibre?

Hi all,
I am new to ebooks and definitely new to Calibre. My question is, if the Sony 505 will automatically import PDF's, Word Docs, Text, etc, then why would a person need Calibre. Isn't that basically all that it does?

Thanks in advance for the help and insight.
CChamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 11:15 AM   #2
jbicha
jbicha began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
calibre supports more formats and installs on Mac or Linux unlike the Sony software. (I even had trouble installing the Sony eBook Library software on some Windows computers). calibre allows you to download news websites to read on your device. Finally, you can edit more of the metadata with calibre. It's abilities are increasing rapidly, partly because it is open source.
jbicha is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2009, 11:18 AM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
also, it's very useful for managing your library, since it allows you to add (and sort by) tags, series, and categories, as well as allowing you to add / change a cover image and description of the book.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 11:19 AM   #4
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Magazines and newspapers! Free, mostly. Large selection, more coming every day. Roll your own instructions included, can also get help in generating new selections.

(You might want to donate your savings when you cancel your paper subscriptions.)

Conversions. E.g., Microsoft .lit format to Sony .lrf format.
For converting DRM'd Microsoft .lit eBooks, use ConvertLIT first ("downconvert"), then Calibre.

Edit metadata.

Manage you library.

Load onto your Sony Reader (though I think pre-pagination is done if you load via Sony's eBook Library).

I don't even have a Sony yet, so I'm sure my list has errors and omissions.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 11:20 AM   #5
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
It will also convert non-drm'd books to LRF or epub (still in beta, I think...).
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2009, 02:17 PM   #6
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
It will also convert non-drm'd books to LRF or epub (still in beta, I think...).
And LIT (at alpha quality ATM) and soon to Mobipocket.
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 02:58 PM   #7
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
In these days of multi-gig memory cards it is easy to lose sight of one of the advantages of calibre, conversion of other formats to LRF, the native Sony format. An LRF can be many times smaller than the same file in DOC or RTF. Plus, it will load faster. calibre is the LRF conversion tool of choice at some commercial sites such as Fictionwise.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote