Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-20-2008, 05:55 PM   #1
iCowboy
Enthusiast
iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.iCowboy is less competitive than you.

Device: Sony PRS 505
1.2.00.18050 firmware available anywhere?

Hi,

I'm one of the unofrtunate few in the UK who can't get their PRS-505s to read DRMed books. After a long conversation with Adobe (thanks Peter for all your time!) they can't find any problems with their software and they can read the DRMed books that crash my Reader using my AdobeID on American Readers.

They think there may be a corrupted version of the firmware circulating and think that refreshing the firmware might fix my problem. I can't go back to the current US 1.1.00.18040, so my options are limited.

I've looked on the Sony UK site and can't find a download for 1.2.00.18050, does anyone know if there is a download around?

Many thanks,

Mike.
iCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 07:17 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by iCowboy View Post
Hi,

I'm one of the unofrtunate few in the UK who can't get their PRS-505s to read DRMed books. After a long conversation with Adobe (thanks Peter for all your time!) they can't find any problems with their software and they can read the DRMed books that crash my Reader using my AdobeID on American Readers.

They think there may be a corrupted version of the firmware circulating and think that refreshing the firmware might fix my problem. I can't go back to the current US 1.1.00.18040, so my options are limited.

I've looked on the Sony UK site and can't find a download for 1.2.00.18050, does anyone know if there is a download around?

Many thanks,

Mike.
Since your UK 505 is new and still under warranty, I suggest contacting Sony to get it exchanged.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2008, 03:00 PM   #3
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by iCowboy View Post
Hi,

Many thanks,

Mike.
Why can't you install the US firmware?
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 05:08 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Might void the UK warranty if the US firmware was installed.
Old 09-21-2008, 05:58 PM   #5
JeffElkins
Guru
JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.JeffElkins is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E/HD, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Might void the UK warranty if the US firmware was installed.
Others have done so. I'm wondering if there is any technical problem that interfered with installing 505.1.1.00.18040.
JeffElkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2008, 07:12 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffElkins View Post
Others have done so. I'm wondering if there is any technical problem that interfered with installing 505.1.1.00.18040.
I'm not thinking there'd be a technical issue. I'm thinking more of a warranty issue. Or maybe it has to do with Sony's eBook store. I'm not sure why the UK would have a different firmware version. Makes little sense to me.
Old 09-24-2008, 04:06 PM   #7
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm not sure why the UK would have a different firmware version. Makes little sense to me.
On that particular point, the most likely reason is that the UK (among other regions) doesn't use the US "mm/dd/yyyy" date format but rather a "dd/mm/yyyy" format. E.g., to us, 1/2/2008 is the 1st Feb, not the 2nd Jan.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
download, prs-505, uk 1.2.00.18050