Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 04-25-2016, 01:35 PM   #1
Trel
Connoisseur
Trel began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Poke 3
Some inkbook obsidian questions and issues

I have a couple of questions and issues someone here may know.

Issues:
If I use the built in FBReader as the primary reader, fonts do not work right, some are missing, others are separated into individual fonts rather than famlies, and others don't display right, and if I add any fonts, none of the ones I select match up to what's displayed.

If I use Adobe as the primary reader, the above isn't an issue.
Is there any way to fix that?

---

There's a few books where it won't remember my page, nor does it add it to the main screen under recently read. It's a couple of specific books. It also doesn't remove the "new" ribbon from it's cover when browsing. Any idea?

---

I can't seem to update FBReader as it won't let me install alongside, nor upgrade the existing one. Is that not possible without renaming the package?

Questions

Is there any way to toggle the light off/on without having to navigate the menu, such as when it's dark and I need to turn it on, but can't see the screen to do so?
Trel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 08:09 PM   #2
darrell_s
Darrell
darrell_s began at the beginning.

Device: inkbook Obsidian
I just bought the inkbook obsidian.

I can't answer your questions about the build in readers. When I tried both of them I didn't see any option to change to night mode (light on dark background), so I tried other reading apps from the app store. So far my favorite on the device is Bookari. With it (and a few others that I tried) I can toggle between night and day mode.

But I didn't find any other way to toggle the light on/off other than thru the menu.

I also was able to add the Pocket App to read web pages offline.

Overall I like this ereader
darrell_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2016, 11:36 AM   #3
Trel
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrell_s View Post
So far my favorite on the device is Bookari.
I'll have to check it out.
The one I was hoping to use crashes on the inkbook so it's not usable.
(Ultimate Book Reader (UB Reader)).
Old 04-27-2016, 11:50 AM   #4
Trel
Connoisseur

Is there any way to root this device or is that not possible at this time?
Old 04-30-2016, 07:29 AM   #5
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trel View Post
Is there any way to root this device or is that not possible at this time?
Try RootGenius. It worked on my Energy Sistem Pro HD which is a clone of the Boyue T64, as I believe the Inkbook Obsidian to be too.

A quick question: do the buttons on the Obsidian go both ways, back- and forward ? I only see one button on each side on the pics. The Pro HD has two buttons on each side, that seems to be the only difference I can see with the Obsidian right now, but the pics I have seen are not good enough to tell.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2016, 07:59 AM   #6
CharlieBird
¿Huh?
CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HiSense A7 CC, Fire HD6, Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
Try RootGenius. It worked on my Energy Sistem Pro HD which is a clone of the Boyue T64, as I believe the Inkbook Obsidian to be too.

A quick question: do the buttons on the Obsidian go both ways, back- and forward ? I only see one button on each side on the pics. The Pro HD has two buttons on each side, that seems to be the only difference I can see with the Obsidian right now, but the pics I have seen are not good enough to tell.
There is only forward or back for each button which you can switch under User Defined Settings.

At this moment I am Googling RootGenius. Thanks. I installed Nova launcher on my Obsidian but did it thru Play Store in the browser being unable to get the app to run. So far I'm really liking the Obsidian and I've been thru a bunch of eInk devices.
CharlieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 09:53 AM   #7
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieBird View Post
There is only forward or back for each button which you can switch under User Defined Settings.

At this moment I am Googling RootGenius. Thanks. I installed Nova launcher on my Obsidian but did it thru Play Store in the browser being unable to get the app to run. So far I'm really liking the Obsidian and I've been thru a bunch of eInk devices.
Does Nova give you the orginal Android settings options back ?

Last edited by aceflor; 04-30-2016 at 06:09 PM.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 02:43 PM   #8
CharlieBird
¿Huh?
CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not sure what you mean. I don't think it changes the Android settings...I install it because I don't like the stock home page. I used it on my Boyue T62, even though it was rooted and much modified.

Just returned from the vet, found Root Genius and am about the try rooting the Obsidian.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:20 PM   #9
Lyzzy
Lyzzy began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Inkbook
Tried changing the bootup screen...

...and of course it didn't work.
I replaced both shutdownanimation.zip and shutdownanimation2.zip in /system/media (compression 0%, device is rooted) by adb and copied the former to bootanimation.zip and fshutdown.zip. Sadly, the startup screen is unchanged. dmesg says:

New USB device found, idVendor=2207, idProduct=0010
usb 1-1.2: New USB device strings: Mfr=2, Product=3, SerialNumber=4
Product: rk30sdk
usb 1-1.2: Manufacturer: BOYUE
usb 1-1.2: SerialNumber: IB-OBS-B-006514

Anyone got any ideas what to try next?
Lyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 11:05 AM   #10
Trel
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieBird View Post
Just returned from the vet, found Root Genius and am about the try rooting the Obsidian.
Did it end up working for you?
Old 05-15-2016, 11:26 AM   #11
CharlieBird
¿Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trel View Post
Did it end up working for you?
Rooted easily, set-up to suit me, but have not read much lately. A quick trip out of the country and for a week I've been obsessing over trying to undo my first brick on, of all things, a $40 tablet. Wasting much time! Just checked my email for the first time in a week which where I saw your question.

I checked my Boyue folder and don't I think I used RootGenius...think I used the T62 rooting method [https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?t=245888]. Am embarrassed to say I don't remember rooting the Obsidian it went so smoothly.