Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-31-2008, 12:27 PM   #1
nathantw
Zealot
nathantw doesn't litternathantw doesn't litternathantw doesn't litter

Device: 505
Problem with date resetting

Does anyone else have the same problem I'm experiencing? It appears that my PRS-505 resets the date every now and then to some time in 2006. It's rather irritating since suddenly I have a ton of books that were put onto my reader TODAY. I've had to put the date back to the present at least 3 times. I'm not sure if the date reset is because I use my SD card when I copy newspapers from libprs500.
nathantw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 12:34 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
The only folks who have that problem are the ones with Sony Readers, nathantw.

It's a known bug, apparently the Reader uses a counter to keep track of the date, and when it hits a certain size it overflows and resets back to that date in '06.

At least with the 505 there's a place in the menus to set the stupid date on the device itself, those of us with 500's have to connect back to a computer and get the eBook Library to do it for us.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2008, 12:53 PM   #3
nathantw
Zealot
nathantw doesn't litternathantw doesn't litternathantw doesn't litter

Device: 505
I included the model because I wanted to make sure people knew it was the newer reader. After reading your response I feel I have it "good" over the people with the "-500."

Thanks for the explanation. I thought it might only be applicable to the newer model and I had no idea it was a problem with the older one as well. I guess we won't be seeing a fix in the next firmware revision since it's a hardware related issue. Oh well.
nathantw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 12:57 PM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Including the model is always a good idea, for just the reasons you note.

We've been waiting for a fix for 18 months now, so I fear we're not going to get a "real" one.

Personally, I suspect that the problem could likely be overcome via software, even if something as simple as having the code note when the counter is about to overflow (they ought to know how big it is), store the current date, clear the counter and put the current date back in it as the initial value.

But, hey, what do I know? I just develop applications for a living.

Of course, that assumes a lot about the details of the problem.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:41 PM   #5
tgharold
Enthusiast
tgharold began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
So as long as we connect our 505s to the eBook Library software frequently (daily? weekly?) we're less likely to see the problem?
tgharold is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2008, 02:57 PM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist

As I understand it, tgharold, yes.