Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-21-2012, 12:00 AM   #1
libeluratio
libeluratio began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Big issue with pdf reading, tried cbz instead but...

Hello everybody

To begin with, sorry for my English, I am French :/

I just bought a Kobo and I've got a problem reading pdf with it:
I do not know exactly how to explain it in English so I am going to show you with pictures:

This is the first page of my pdf:

and when I touch the right border, it switch to page 2, but there is still a part of page 1:

and so on with pages 3, 4, 5, etc...

In order to get a proper page 2, I have to double-tap on it (to make a big zoom) and double-tap again (to restore original size), then the part of page 1 disappear, but that is pretty annoying..

Is that normal ? I mean: Has anyone encountered this problem with pdf yet ?

I tried to save the pdf in jpegs and made a cbz from that: works like a charm, but I do not have metadatas anymore...

I don't care using pdf or cbz, but for pdf: do you know how to resolve my problem ? And for cbz: how can I store metadatas in order to view them when using the kobo ?

Thank You so much for your help
libeluratio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 06:42 AM   #2
jessle
jessle began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
Yes! I had that problem too when I recently upgraded from firmware 1.9.17 to 2.0.0
This was just unbelievably annoying. Did you also notice that if you double tap (zoomed) and went to the farthest left/right to click the previous/next page button that it doesn't take you to the previous/next page immediately until you move the page around ... if that makes sense...
I was so frustrated with this I went back to 1.9.17 where there were no problems with pdfs
jessle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2012, 08:52 AM   #3
libeluratio
libeluratio began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Yes, exactly same problems as yours !
Could you explain me how to choose the firmware version please ? I'ma quite a newbie at up/downdating... Thanks

And do you know how to contact the kobo team in order to report this problem for future firmwares ? Thanks !
libeluratio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:56 AM   #4
osakanataro
osakanataro can illuminate an eclipseosakanataro can illuminate an eclipseosakanataro can illuminate an eclipseosakanataro can illuminate an eclipseosakanataro can illuminate an eclipseosakanataro can illuminate an eclipseosakanataro can illuminate an eclipseosakanataro can illuminate an eclipseosakanataro can illuminate an eclipseosakanataro can illuminate an eclipseosakanataro can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Touch
same problem on my Japanese Kobo Touch v2.0.1 and v2.0.2.
osakanataro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:13 AM   #5
jessle
jessle began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by libeluratio View Post
Yes, exactly same problems as yours !
Could you explain me how to choose the firmware version please ? I'ma quite a newbie at up/downdating... Thanks

And do you know how to contact the kobo team in order to report this problem for future firmwares ? Thanks !
Righto so I found this method from this post.

Basically though:
1) You gotta do a factory reset, Settings>Device Information > Factory Reset. You will lose all the sideloaded books you've put on kobo (ie your pdfs) so make sure you've got them somewhere backed up on your comp so you can put them back into your kobo.
2) Go through the process of setting up Kobo (set language, connect kobo to computer)
3) While it's still plugged in, add your pdfs and anything else.
4) BEFORE YOU UNPLUG IT - delete these files in the .kobo directory:

.kobo\upgrade (yes the entire 'upgrade' folder)
.kobo\KoboRoot.tgz
.kobo\manifest.md5sum

5) Eject your kobo
6) Should be good to go.

Just note, that whenever you add more books to your kobo via the usb cord, delete the above folder/files because they will reappear, if you don't then when you eject your kobo, it will update itself to the latest firmware which has those pdf problems.
jessle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2012, 08:39 AM   #6
pxlcore
pxlcore began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch white
Same problem here. German Kobo 2.0.0, updated from 1.9.17.

Most time I am reading pdfs in zoomed mode. So this bug is really annoying. I will downgrade to 1.9.17.

The rest of the new 2.0.0 features are really great.

I hope this will be fixed in future realses.

pxclore
pxlcore is offline   Reply With Quote