Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-07-2012, 03:30 PM   #1
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
Bridge of Birds by Barry Hughart

Recently I read a post here in which someone recommended Bridge of Birds by Barry Hughart. I can't find the thread and don't remember who recommended it, but I want to thank you. This was such a beautiful book, one of my new favorites.

Subterranean Press just released the entire trilogy of The Chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox as a DRM-free EPUB omnibus, which I was able to pick up at Kobo for 45% off (thank you, MobileRead Kobo discount codes thread).
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 04:44 PM   #2
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Not available internationally.

Oh well, I have four paper copies including the Kaja Foglio-illustrated omnibus and the Subterranean deluxe hardcover omnibus and the French translation to comfort myself with.

that Weightless Books gets it and offers another DRM-Free Day or equivalent deep discount sale since according to Charles Stross' blog, sometimes it's the stores which are a lot pickier about applying geo-restrictions than the publishers want them to be.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2012, 12:29 AM   #3
charlesatan
Addict
charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
In the case of Subterranean Press, for some of their books, they own the World rights. For others, they don't. (I queried either them or their eBook designer on Twitter before.)

Unfortunately, The Chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox is one of the latter. (Weightless Books stocks the other Sub Press eBooks for example.) Had to get the print versions (and it's a fantastic print book) multiple times (for my crush, for myself, for two friends...).

An example of a retail store than is picky about georestrictions (as opposed to the publisher) is Barnes & Noble. I can only get free eBooks from them. Otherwise, nada, even if the publisher has World Rights to them.
charlesatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:08 AM   #4
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewH View Post
Recently I read a post here in which someone recommended Bridge of Birds by Barry Hughart. I can't find the thread and don't remember who recommended it, but I want to thank you. This was such a beautiful book, one of my new favorites.

Subterranean Press just released the entire trilogy of The Chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox as a DRM-free EPUB omnibus, which I was able to pick up at Kobo for 45% off (thank you, MobileRead Kobo discount codes thread).
You made Bridge of Birds by Barry Hughart sound so interesting that I had to just go looking for other comments on this book. I found a few comments and recommendations in at least these two threads.

Fantasy Novels in non-medevial settings?
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by conanfan View Post
[snip]The Chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox (Bridge of Birds, The Story of the Stone, and Eight Skilled Gentlemen) - Also a close call, because the setting is medieval China, rather than your standard European fair. Touching and hilarious.
[snip]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
Barry Hughart's Bridge of Birds which has a Chinese setting.[snip]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoldin View Post
[snip]I'd like to second (or third) Barry Hughart's incredible stories about Master Li and Number Ten Ox, beginning with Bridge of Birds. Some of the most imaginative fantasy around. I recently reread it, and was blown away all over again.[snip]
Quote:
Originally Posted by H.P. Lovesauce View Post
[snip]I want to fourth (fifth?) the Barry Hughart Bridge of Birds recommendation. [snip]

2011 Nebula Award Winners
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrella View Post
[snip]There's also the Forgotten Classics podcast which you might want to check out. At the moment, they are doing Bridge of Birds by Barry Hughart, and their archive can be found here.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 02:52 AM   #5
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
You made Bridge of Birds by Barry Hughart sound so interesting that I had to just go looking for other comments on this book. I found a few comments and recommendations in at least these two threads.

Fantasy Novels in non-medevial settings?
Thank you, most likely it was the multiple comments in that particular thread that lead me to read Bridge of Birds.

I don't think I could possibly write a review that would do the book justice, in which case I'd simply refer others to look at the many eloquent reviews on Goodreads.
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-09-2012, 03:44 AM   #6
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Thank you for the link. I read through quite a few of the reviews and it does sound like a book I would like.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 11:11 AM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
These are great, enjoyable, fun reads.

I have the Limited Edition hardcover from Stars Our Destination publisher, signed by both Hugart and the illustrator.

Highly, highly recommended if you like witty, sensuous stories. They are similar to some of James Branch Cabell's witty, urbane fantasies.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote