Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-12-2007, 04:12 PM   #1
sander
sander began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader 505
Proj Gut Books to sony formatting

Hi there, i am new and i am sure this has been addressed before. But when i try to put a .txt file of a book (richardson's Pamela in this case) The reader formats it, but there are returns after every line, so the text is all broken up like this...

I have great trouble, and some comfort, to acquaint you with. The
trouble is, that my

good lady died of the illness I mentioned to you, and
left us all much grieved

for the loss of her; for she was a dear good
lady, and kind

to all us her servants. Much I feared, that as I was
taken by her

ladyship to wait upon her person, I should be quite

Is there an easy fix to this problem? I tried to download the html version and put it into pages (oh yeah, i am mac only) and manually format, but this was tedious and did not work well.

thanks for any replies
sander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 04:19 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Stingo's word macro is a good place to start.

Also, if the texts you're after are available as RTF or HTML those formats might be a better starting place for you as they tend to have less of that sort of problem.

And of course, if the books you're after have been uploaded here, then you're golden.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2007, 05:49 PM   #3
Deputy-Dawg
Groupie
Deputy-Dawg has learned how to read e-booksDeputy-Dawg has learned how to read e-booksDeputy-Dawg has learned how to read e-booksDeputy-Dawg has learned how to read e-booksDeputy-Dawg has learned how to read e-booksDeputy-Dawg has learned how to read e-booksDeputy-Dawg has learned how to read e-books

Device: sony prs505
This has been an issue in form or another since the dawn of word processing. And as such there has been a fairly good and easy solution since shortly thereafter. Assuming you have Word or some other reasonably competent word processing program all you need do is:

1) Open the file in the word processor.

2) Using the search and replace feature in the program search for each occurrence of "double return" "^p^P" (the end of a paragraph) and replace it with a character not used in the text (I find that the tilde "~" or the accente "`" two useful characters) also the search string for a return, at least in Word is "^p" no quotes of course.

3) Now do a search and replace of all remaining "single return" "^p" and replace them with a space.

4) Do a search for two spaces and replace them with single spaces.

5) Finally do a search for the special character used in step two and replace them with two returns.

6) Save the file
Deputy-Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 06:08 PM   #4
teanoah
Banned
teanoah began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader prs-500
book designer idiot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sander View Post
Hi there, i am new and i am sure this has been addressed before. But when i try to put a .txt file of a book (richardson's Pamela in this case) The reader formats it, but there are returns after every line, so the text is all broken up like this...

trouble is, that my

left us all much grieved

lady, and kind

taken by her

Is there an easy fix to this problem? I tried to download the html version and put it into pages (oh yeah, i am mac only) and manually format, but this was tedious and did not work well.

thanks for any replies

Edited to remove offensive language.

Last edited by Patricia; 12-18-2007 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Profanity removed.
teanoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 06:09 PM   #5
teanoah
Banned
teanoah began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader prs-500
book designer idiot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sander View Post

trouble is, that my

left us all much grieved

lady, and kind

taken by her

thanks for any replies

Edited to remove unnecessary bad language.

Last edited by Patricia; 12-18-2007 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Profanity removed.
teanoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert