Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 03-30-2012, 04:53 PM   #46
NonCorporeal
NonCorporeal began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Sucessfull Rooting

Thanks to all who posted, and danifunker. Apologies for asking a question previously answered on the post. Now I know to read ENTIRE posts before attempting anything I figured I should post my results in case it might help anyone as your posts have helped me.

My major issue, after realizing danifunker was taking about a script command in step 3 (see previous post ), was that kobo vox did not appear under unknown devices in device manager.

My vox did appear under disk drives (3 instances)
but it would not let me change driver (driver up to date message).

1. I followed Tordre's advice and uninstalled mass storage device under USB controllers.

2. Unplugged and re-attached my kobo and it appeared under unknown devices (K080).

3.I followed the video posted by danifunker to force install driver.

4. re-booted my pc.

5. ran runme.bat file.

6. opened Oogle Vox on my Vox.

7. Oogle Vox then confirmed rooting and allowed installation of Google framework!!

Thanks to all, especially danifunker I appreciate your hard work.
NonCorporeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:05 AM   #47
Moketa
Moketa began at the beginning.

Device type?

When i go looking for "Device type", ADB interface is not listed! I am running Win 7 & I made the .android directory & put in the adb ini file.
Any suggestions?
Moketa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2012, 08:35 AM   #48
Moketa
Moketa began at the beginning.

Rooting success!!!

Finally got it done!
Thanks Danifunker
Moketa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:09 AM   #49
Inkerlink
Inkerlink began at the beginning.

Hello there,

I just can't seem to get this driver thing to work. I uninstall the USB Mass Storage under USB Controllers and unplug my Vox. Then I plug it back in and Windows 7 just reinstalls everything without giving me a chance to do anything. I also tried it under VM Player in XP, and even though it showed up under Unknown devices, it wouldn't detect any of the drivers in the folder.

Windows 7 let me install ADB ONCE, but after restarting my PC the bat file wouldn't work. What should I do now?
Inkerlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:28 PM   #50
Dan690
Dan690 began at the beginning.

Hi. I'm getting the following error when I run the bat file. The system cannot find the path specified.

I am running Windows 7 Professional x64. Please see the screenshot.

Thanks for any help on this issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	372
Size:	308.1 KB
ID:	85013  

Last edited by Dan690; 04-08-2012 at 12:31 PM.
Dan690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2012, 01:51 PM   #51
danifunker
Connoisseur
danifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan690 View Post
Hi. I'm getting the following error when I run the bat file. The system cannot find the path specified.

I am running Windows 7 Professional x64. Please see the screenshot.

Thanks for any help on this issue.
Please try launching the "runme" batch file from a command prompt manually.

IE, go to Start -> run -> cmd

cd \temp\zergrush-forkobo\zergrush

runme

Good luck!
danifunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:20 AM   #52
joelamorales
joelamorales began at the beginning.

Device: kobo vox
help

why does my kobo not show up in other devices in devise manger in my win7 pc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by danifunker View Post
Hi Everyone,

I know there have been a number of users who haven't been able to get root again after the March 2, 2012 update.

Here are the instructions:
1) Download the package ZergRush-forKobo.zip
2) Extract the files from the package
3) Make a new folder in your user profile ( %USERPROFILE% ) and call it .android
4) Copy the file adb_usb.ini to the new .android folder
5) On the Kobo: Turn on USB Debugging under the development options
6) Connect the Kobo to the Windows PC
7) Go into Device Manager, and double-click on the K080 device, it should be listed under unknown. Choose "Update Driver" and pick "Let me choose a driver for this device", point it to the usb_driver package (in my instance I extracted the package to C:\temp, so my full path name was C:\temp\ZergRush-forKobo\usb_driver ). A list of devices will appear, choose ADB Interface
8) Restart the computer
9) Open up the zergrush runme.bat script and let it do it's magic, in my instance it was C:\temp\ZergRush-forKobo\zergrush\runme.bat
10) Install OogleVox
11) Donate!

If you are having problems with the driver installation, I have included some scripts in my ZergRush-forKobo zip.

On XP, please try running uninstalldriver_xp.cmd this should clear out the Kobo specific driver for you. If you are still having troubles after the script, delete the infcache.1 file in c:\windows\inf ( you need to enable hidden files in windows to see the file). UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES IN WINDOWS VISTA OR WINDOWS 7 DELETE INFCACHE.1. Windows XP will automatically recreate the file, Vista and higher will not.

On Windows Vista or Windows 7 (or higher), please use uninstalldriver_win7.cmd to clear our the specific driver for you.

Both scripts require administrative rights. Once you have run the script, please restart your computer before proceeding with step 6 again.

This IS a new version of the download that contains these new script, please use this new zip instead of the old one.

03/11/2012, 10:47PM EDT:
I've updated the uninstall script for Windows 7 and included the modded version of the USB driver (as a different folder) in the package. If you are having troubles with the original USB driver, try the usb_driver_modded instead.

03/12/2012, 10:52AM EDT:
I've taken a video of how to "force install" the driver for those who are wondering, you can view it here:

http://youtu.be/YJCS6fefBpw
joelamorales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:34 AM   #53
Corinian
Corinian began at the beginning.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

All rooted, using the method above and the YouTube vid to force the driver update
Corinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:04 PM   #54
tardisrosedalek
tardisrosedalek began at the beginning.

Un-Root

Resolved

Last edited by tardisrosedalek; 05-03-2012 at 12:34 AM.
tardisrosedalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:18 PM   #55
bobyjoe3
bobyjoe3 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo Vox
Runme.bat not working.

when I run the runme.bat it just sais "adb wait-for-device" and does nothing. What do i need to to change??

Last edited by bobyjoe3; 05-03-2012 at 12:27 AM. Reason: I completed my troubles but came across more troubes!
bobyjoe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:00 AM   #56
kcarscadden
Zealot
kcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavenskcarscadden is a rising star in the heavens

Device: iPad Air 5, Samsung Galaxy S20 FE
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobyjoe3 View Post
when I run the runme.bat it just sais "adb wait-for-device" and does nothing. What do i need to to change??
Have you completed properly the steps concerning drivers? Is your Kobo set to USB debugging?
kcarscadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:38 AM   #57
bobyjoe3

not working

i have the SAME problem as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkerlink View Post
Hello there,
I just can't seem to get this driver thing to work. I uninstall the USB Mass Storage under USB Controllers and unplug my Vox. Then I plug it back in and Windows 7 just reinstalls everything without giving me a chance to do anything. I also tried it under VM Player in XP, and even though it showed up under Unknown devices, it wouldn't detect any of the drivers in the folder.

Windows 7 let me install ADB ONCE, but after restarting my PC the bat file wouldn't work. What should I do now?
Old 05-03-2012, 09:39 AM   #58
bobyjoe3

yes, but Iuninstall the USB Mass Storage under USB Controllers and unplug my Vox. Then I plug it back in and Windows 7 just reinstalls everything without giving me a chance to do anything. I also tried it under VM Player in XP, and even though it showed up under Unknown devices, it wouldn't detect any of the drivers in the folder.

-- same as interlink's problem

Last edited by bobyjoe3; 05-03-2012 at 09:42 AM.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:24 PM   #59
Alexe
Alexe began at the beginning.

Exclamation HELP, HELP, HELP!!

Hi danifunker,
I tried to root my Kobo Vox and it doesn't work... Here's what I think... I could do the steps 1 to 8 without any problem but when I try to root it, it starts and then says: Waiting for device... and all... I did check USB debugging and all... The only trouble is with the two following steps:
3) Make a new folder in your user profile ( %USERPROFILE% ) and call it .android
Actually, I think I didn't do it the good way... In fact, I honestly don't understand how to do it... I tried some things and read the previous posts but I still can't do it... I think maybe here's the reason why the rooting doesn't work... I already spent too much time on that (a couple of hours!!!) so I'm really asking for your help... Could you please explain me how to do the steps 3 and 4??
Thank you so much, I read that it worked for a lot of people so I hope it will work for me!
P.S: I'm using Windows 7 64 bits.
Alexe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:51 AM   #60
danifunker
Connoisseur
danifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to beholddanifunker is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexe View Post
Hi danifunker,
I tried to root my Kobo Vox and it doesn't work... Here's what I think... I could do the steps 1 to 8 without any problem but when I try to root it, it starts and then says: Waiting for device... and all... I did check USB debugging and all... The only trouble is with the two following steps:
Actually, I think I didn't do it the good way... In fact, I honestly don't understand how to do it... I tried some things and read the previous posts but I still can't do it... I think maybe here's the reason why the rooting doesn't work... I already spent too much time on that (a couple of hours!!!) so I'm really asking for your help... Could you please explain me how to do the steps 3 and 4??
Thank you so much, I read that it worked for a lot of people so I hope it will work for me!
P.S: I'm using Windows 7 64 bits.
Hi there,
I'm assuming that you can't create the .android folder in your Windows profile, so run s command prompt start - run - cmd
Then do the following commands:
1) cd %USERPROFILE%
2) md .android

Once the folder is created, try following step 4 again. Good luck!
danifunker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rooting vox