Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-25-2012, 07:20 PM   #1
johnb0647
Nameless Being

Runaway conversion process!

Has anyone else seen this problem or is it unique to my particular combination of hardware/software? I realise I'm a little out in the fringes with my set up.

PROBLEM:
When converting format about 5% of conversions get into infinite loops and never finish. This has always happened and can usually be traced to strange combinations of characters, multi-column text intermixed with graphics, etc. No problem.

Until recently this did not noticeably affect computer performance. I could go about other activities and when I noticed the conversion had not finished I could just open the conversion list, stop the bad job and deal with the bad file. Now when Calibre enters this condition my computer slows down to a crawl taking 30 - 60 seconds to respond to a mouse click and longer to open a new window.

Killing the job and closing Calibre DOES NOT correct the problem.

After closing Calibre the system monitor shows an apparent runaway process:

calibre-parallel uninterruptable

CPU usage 20-28%, both core
Memory usage 100% (2 GB total RAM)
Swap 50% (4 GB swap partition)

Killing the process restores about 90% of performance but the monitor still shows:

CPU usage 50-60%
Memory usage 30%
Swap 10%

with only normal background processes running although I'm not familiar enough with linux to identify them all.

Restarting the computer restores things to normal.

I've used Calibre extensively in the past but not much the last few months during which I did a few upgrades that might have affected the situation.

Current setup:

AMD Athlon II X2 with AMD 880G chipset
RAM: 2GB DDR3
SWAP: 4 GB

Ubuntu 11.04 (Classic Gnome desktop, NOT UNITY) AMD 64 version

Calibre 0.8.40 (5935 documents in library)
I have seen this problem when converting text, pdf, rtf, chm to epub.
Those are pretty much the only conversions I do.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:17 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Turn off 'Use Heuristics' for thos conversions.
It takes multiple 'passes' to figure things out. Something is confounding this.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2012, 04:35 AM   #3
johnb0647
Nameless Being

I'll see if that makes a difference but I can't see how that would leave be the cause of a process running after program shut down. I could see it causing the apparent infinite loop in the first place.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:37 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnb0647 View Post
I'll see if that makes a difference but I can't see how that would leave be the cause of a process running after program shut down. I could see it causing the apparent infinite loop in the first place.
I don't run Linux, but before killing calibre you should stop the conversion jobs and you shouldn't have this problem. The jobs running for conversions are separate processes and you may not be stopping all jobs before killing calibre.

Also some conversions take 6 -24 hours or more to finish the conversion. Just because it doesn't finish in 30 minutes does not mean it is in some sort of loop. If it hasn't produced an error then the odds are it is still converting the book.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 02-28-2012 at 05:40 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote