Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-07-2007, 11:36 AM   #1
TomMMD
TomMMD is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Ereader
Copying Ebooks to External Hard Drive

My wife is getting quite a collecion of Sony ebooks.

We would like to move many of them to an external hard drive (My Book) but when I copy them over they have unintelligble names on the files so it's impossible to tell what is what.

I've tried moving them over using the econnect software but it won't let me move them to the F: drive.

Any thoughts?
TomMMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 11:38 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Easy solution. Just rename them, but keep the file extensions the same. Delete them out of the library (in Connect). Then you can add them back to the library once you have then moved and sorted how you want. Windows Explorer is good for the moving and renaming.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2007, 08:54 AM   #3
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Use the File Info button ("i") in Connect software to see what filename corresponds to each book.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 12:12 PM   #4
TomMMD
TomMMD is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Ereader
Well, we tried what you said and it seems to be working. It's a pretty laborious process, though.
TomMMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 02:16 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Stop using connect and switch to libprs500, it will save your files wherever you want automatically put into folders sorted by author and title.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2007, 04:21 PM   #6
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
The problem he is having is with the DRM type of BBeB file, the dreaded LRX.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 04:27 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
libprs500 should work with LRX as well as far as copying to the reader and saving to the hard disk are concerned.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 06:49 AM   #8
andyafro
Connoisseur
andyafro doesn't litterandyafro doesn't litter

Device: sony reader prs-500
Be cafeful with external hardrives, mine recently collapsed & i hadn't backed it up, so always have a back up some where just in case because its devastating to lose you hd library after you have built it up.
I Had been editing it out for a few weeks putting everything into order when it just stopped, it would register as a extra hard drive on my pc but i could not enter it at all my pc would just freeze my girlfriend informed me she dropped it but it worked for a week after she did this so i not sure if it was her dropping it or the massive edit i did over the last few weeks on it ( i did not defrag it after i had edited over 40,000 files i think thats what did it) anyway having it build it up again, haven't even thought about the books i have purchased can i get them back? most are from connect and fictionwise.

Was it my girl dropping it that killed it ?(it worked for a week after)
or was it the editing that done it (remove the author name and series name and make a folder for each ect)

did it need defragging? i noticed when i ran a recovery program i got almost 130 gig back from a 60 gig hd all the original files were there before i had editied them?

how do you get rid of these edited ghosts?

does anyone know is taking ages to get it back into order, don't want it to happen again
andyafro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 02:53 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
eBooks are pretty small, so it's generally not a problem to backup to DVD. I have some 15,000 eBooks on an external hard drive, but they only occupy about 11GB and can be backed up to 3 DVDs.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote