Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-20-2017, 05:13 AM   #4096
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I think the safest course is to count it as a bonus, and not buy extra just because the number looks better.

I expect to have my TBR go down by a couple of dozen now I can sort out the duplicates
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 10:13 AM   #4097
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Someone has kindly posted a script that allows DRM-free download from Dark Horse Comics.

But now I'll have to add all my Buffy purchases to my 2015 or 2016 book buying totals! (I wasn't counting them because I couldn't download them.)
Might one acquire a hint as to where this script was posted? I got the "Buffy's Birthday" bundle some time back and am similarly looking to weed out my duplicates from a later (Humble?) bundle.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2017, 10:35 AM   #4098
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's in a thread I started a year ago.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=270092

Someone just posted a solution. I had success in Chrome on Mac OS. (Having tried Firefox on Mac OS with problems.)
Old 01-24-2017, 12:44 PM   #4099
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
Might one acquire a hint as to where this script was posted? I got the "Buffy's Birthday" bundle some time back and am similarly looking to weed out my duplicates from a later (Humble?) bundle.
If you got the April 2016 Humble Bundle as well as the January 2016 Dark Horse bundle, you'll find surprisingly few overlaps. A full 25 of the Humble Bundle offerings were not duplicates of the Dark Horse Bundle, by my reckoning.
Old 01-24-2017, 03:41 PM   #4100
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If you got the April 2016 Humble Bundle as well as the January 2016 Dark Horse bundle, you'll find surprisingly few overlaps. A full 25 of the Humble Bundle offerings were not duplicates of the Dark Horse Bundle, by my reckoning.
The BBB was a Dark Horse offering a year or two back, and there's some significant overlap. Not so much that I feel cheated in any way - in fact, IIRC, one bundle has collections of some material that the other only had as single issues - but I do need to get everything sorted so I can actually start reading. I read most of Season 8 in physical form, but I'm fuzzy about exactly how far I got before stopping. Luckily, I do have a chronology/checklist to work from once I get everything together.

Back on the main topic, I suspect I'm about to spend $17 for three more books. I started reading the first of three novels that I already own in a series last night, and gulped down two-thirds of it in one go. (Would've been more, but sleep beckoned.) There are now three more novels in the series, priced at five and six bucks each... At least I can console myself that I'm not going to buy them "on spec" and that I'm using reward-point credit instead of Real Cash (which is in short supply) to pay for them.

On the flip side, I need to bump one novel up in my queue so I can at least sample it before a bundle that includes the next three in its series expires. Work, work, work, amirite?

Last edited by Rev. Bob; 01-24-2017 at 03:44 PM.
Advert
Old 01-24-2017, 04:17 PM   #4101
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

As I mentioned elsewhere, just say no to the bundle of indie authors!
Old 01-24-2017, 04:36 PM   #4102
Rev. Bob
Wizard

Quote:
As I mentioned elsewhere, just say no to the bundle of indie authors!
Oh, the $17 isn't related to the bundle. That's regular price for three books on Amazon, in a series I'm enjoying so far. As explained over there, the bundle quandary is a different thing altogether (and I'll probably wind up taking the $5 level, for reasons explained in that thread).
Old 01-26-2017, 06:58 PM   #4103
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
I feel that I did well to return a series (3 books) that I decided not to continue. I quit the first book after I got 1/3 of the way through and just decided it wasn't for me. So, my TBR and budget have improved.

Interesting thing I discovered is that if there is a special sale at Audible and you list it and then don't buy it, it carries over to other sales. So, with the buy 2 with 1 credit, I was able to get one book I still wanted that was not part of the sale (Illegal Alien) along with Sphere (Michael Crichton) which was. I only count the credits as part of the budget when I actually spend them.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 07:31 AM   #4104
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

I've finished adding completion dates to my calibre database for 2010-2016.

In the process, I found 17 books that I'd read but not marked as read in calibre.

I have decided to adjust my 'start-of-year' totals, rather than counting them to my target for TBR reduction this year.

But I'm doing well. 12 books read and only six books acquired so far this month!
Old 01-30-2017, 08:13 AM   #4105
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
It hasn't been a great month for me. I've gained 14 books - 12 purchases, 1 freebie and library loan - and read only 7, although I'll be finishing another one today. There are another two books on my wishlist that are at least 50% off which I could quite easily buy at any time.

I still haven't actually spent that much, though.

This is partly a heavy month because of things I put off from last year - when I did manage to beat my TBR - so it's kind of expected that I'm starting with a shortfall to make up.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 09:54 AM   #4106
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
It's a day early, but it looks as if I'll make it through January with no purchases at all, for the first month since I've started keeping track. I almost made it through December but cracked at month's end; I'm relieved that turned out to be a final fling and didn't trigger a major bender (it was a little scary how "just one" rapidly evolved into three). I admit that I'm helped by changes at Kobo and Amazon, but I also think I'm finally internalizing the reality of several years' worth of reading already on hand.

I've finished 12 books but my TBR is down only four, because of audio/library/pd. The TBR reduction is not my main point, however - a good thing, too, as that would be discouraging! There's a book in a series I like a lot (and I'm not much of a series person) coming out next month, but it can wait on a Kobo coupon. The books come out with such glacial slowness that I'm used to waiting anyway.

So far, so good! It really does get easier.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 04:05 PM   #4107
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Well Done, issybird!

I wish I could claim to have done as well, but I'm still fairly pleased overall. If I take out the pricey work-related book from my list, it's within budget. Which is the most I can hope for.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 04:14 PM   #4108
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Well Done, issybird!

I wish I could claim to have done as well, but I'm still fairly pleased overall. If I take out the pricey work-related book from my list, it's within budget. Which is the most I can hope for.
If you're within budget, that's the point and good on you! I suspect my TBR is significantly larger than yours and it's much easier for me to go cold turkey as I don't have authors or series I follow. In any case, I tend to be more of an all or nothing type; either is easier than moderation, which is not a good way to be.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 07:28 PM   #4109
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
If you're within budget, that's the point and good on you! I suspect my TBR is significantly larger than yours and it's much easier for me to go cold turkey as I don't have authors or series I follow. In any case, I tend to be more of an all or nothing type; either is easier than moderation, which is not a good way to be.
Yeah, I tend towards moderation being the way to go. Works for me, as long as I have a clear goal and actually pay attention. Cold turkey? not happening. Too many authors I would have to make exceptions for.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 10:31 AM   #4110
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Still buying ebooks!!!(2 this week) AHHHHH at least it's authors I know I like and not just "oh this is on sale and looks good." Better to pay more for books I l like than to just get something cause it's on sale. So that's something.

Last edited by PurpleStar; 01-31-2017 at 10:34 AM.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote