Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 06-19-2010, 01:42 AM   #1
DAW
Edge User

Unhappy Infinite loop in the June software update

Can anyone suggest how I get out of this??

Here's the story: Today I put in a new battery delivered as a replacement for a possibly faulty one (tech support said to try it). I charged it, so far so good. Then I noticed an update was ready so I grabbed it and started the update. Now I am in infinite loop -- edge keeps giving the same screens over and over and "please don't turn off your enTourage eDGe." Well, now I can't. Power button does not respond and I can't even pop the battery out.

Does anyone have a realtime suggestions?

Old 06-19-2010, 09:10 AM   #2
DAW
Edge User

Thanks borisb -- I knew it would be you -- I did finally get the battery out after the power ran down. I am going to see what shape the edge is in after charging it a bit. I sent a message to Tech Support but will be going out of town (without edge) from Mon-Fri next week. So it will take a while to resolve this.
Thanks for your encouragement!

Advert
Old 07-07-2010, 07:07 PM   #3
DAW
Edge User

Smile Fixed!

Just to finish the story (in case borisb is looking), my problem was caused because an update.zip file that was left on my SD card so that I could fix Minesweeper was interfering with the next (auto-downloaded) update of the system software. It then got stuck in a loop somehow and later would not respond at all (black screen). I sent the eDGe in and the Entourage folks fixed it right up for me. I had incorrectly thought that it didn't matter if the zip file remained on the card because I was instructed to hold down a sequence of buttons to get the eDGe to "see" that update and run it. Looks like not the case if an auto-update is triggered, so if ever anyone does a manual reinstallation using the method I used, be sure to delete or move that zip file before the next update comes along!

Old 07-07-2010, 07:21 PM   #4
walt526
Edge User

Thanks, good to know.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:15 PM   #5
kenjennings
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
I'll also suggest to enTourage that they update their patch ...
... procedure to validate the identity of the intended update file and ignore anything that may be named similarly, but has the wrong file size, md5 signature, etc.

Advert
Old 07-08-2010, 02:07 AM   #6
sjarrel
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
I'll also suggest to enTourage that they update their patch instructions to include a step to remove any SD card before starting the update process.
What will happen than if you moved the library to the sd-card and the update is about the library?

Old 07-08-2010, 02:22 AM   #7
walt526
Edge User

I think the moral of the story is that if you're going to keep old update files lying around, then it's best to store it off of the eDGe entirely.

Old 07-08-2010, 03:34 PM   #8
PonMan
Edge User

Once a user who requires a manual update via an update.zip file on an SD card completes the upgrade successfully, they need to delete that file off from the SD card. Any file named update.zip, placed in the root of an SD card, will prevent an eDGe from updating its software successfully in the future.

It does not matter if you have migrated your library to the SD card or not. This is the expected behavior. Distribution of update.zip files for manual upgrades was not originally intended and we are only doing so to help out customers who have had upgrade issues.

enTourage ONLY supports upgrading, NOT downgrading. If you have saved off an update.zip of a previous version of software please do not assume you can roll back to that release whenever you want. There are many reasons for this but one example is database handling. If we add a new column to a database, we can put support in for adding that column and the logic to handle it in an upgrade. However, if we then downgrade that eDGe to a release which doesn't understand that new column, we will have unexpected results.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:28 PM   #9
DAW
Edge User

Actually, I seem to recall in the email sent to me from Tech Support that the eDGe might look for the update.zip file on the root of other attached Storage (like a USB stick) or internal memory of the eDGe. Rather than get complicated with a message to everyone (most of whom have never obtained a manual update.zip file) to look for such a file in multiple places every time there is a system update to download, it should be sufficient to tack on an instruction to those few who DO get hold of an update.zip file. How about something like: "After you have manually run the update.zip, make sure to delete it from your Storage/Internal files so that it will not interfere with future downloaded system updates." That should be enough -- the person doing the manual patch will be carefully reading the instructions from Entourage email, so that direction will be followed.

Old 07-12-2010, 04:41 PM   #10
mthq22
Edge User

It's not an 'infinite loop'.

It is a 'dynamic halt'.

Sorry, I just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.
(which is probably not what it's worth, but there you go...)