Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 12-14-2013, 07:27 PM   #1
igi
igi began at the beginning.

Device: N810
[Conversion Input] Microsoft Doc Input Plugin

Calibre plugin for converting doc via docx using microsoft wordconv.exe tool and calibre docx transformation

Microsoft tool can anyone download from http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...ails.aspx?id=3

After converting to docx plugin uses standard calibre conversion for docx.

Installation
  1. Install wordconv.exe
  1. Install plugin into Calibre
  1. Configure plugin to point wordconv.exe

If you want donate me ;-)

Code repository: https://github.com/igieon/calibre-doc-input

Pls report issue.
Attached Files
File Type: zip DOC Input.zip (3.9 KB, 172001 views)

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 08-28-2014 at 11:39 PM. Reason: v1.0.1
igi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:47 PM   #2
Nescio
Nescio began at the beginning.

Device: kindle keyboard
A problem:
My version of Wordconv.exe is not installed in the default path: c:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\Wordconv.exe
so, each time i have to convert a book, i must correct the path.
I'd like to configure the plugin for this.

PS: this plugin doesn't work with 'group conversion', it would be nice.

Thanks.
Nescio is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2014, 03:49 PM   #3
igi

Just try go to prefrences conversion input options Doc INput change location and press apply i think this will work form e working.
Old 06-29-2014, 03:20 PM   #4
igi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nescio View Post
A problem:
My version of Wordconv.exe is not installed in the default path: c:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\Wordconv.exe
so, each time i have to convert a book, i must correct the path.
I'd like to configure the plugin for this.

PS: this plugin doesn't work with 'group conversion', it would be nice.

Thanks.
Hello recently i push pull request to calibre source so when it will be incorporated then bulk conversion will be work
I provide pull request into calibre kovidgoyal/calibre#265 . because curenntly calibre ignore config for external input plugin.
Old 08-18-2014, 05:21 PM   #5
rebl
r.eads e.njoys b.ooks lol
rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Hello,
I have both calibre64 and calibre portable installed and in neither of them I can't save a new setting for the wordconv path in Preferences. No matter what I do - I browse to the file or enter the path manually,
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\Wordconv.exe or with /'s, after pressing Apply, when I return to the input options, the old path (Office12) is still there.
I don't have any permission issues and other settings can be modified fine.

As expected, the plugin can't find wordconv:
File "calibre_plugins.doc_input.__init__", line 54, in convert
ValueError: Not found c:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\Wordconv.exe

I found the doc_input.py file in folder Calibre Settings\conversion
and manually edited path to
u'wordconv_exe_path' : u'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft
This is quite bizare! Even after I've corrected the path by editing the file (and checked in GUI, it's there) the plugin still looks for Office12, like it's hardcoded.

I noticed you can change the path also in the convert dialogue, and this works fine, but still won't remain saved.

Last edited by rebl; 08-18-2014 at 05:56 PM.
rebl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2014, 06:32 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Calibre converts DOCX and RTF without the need for a plugin. Also, this plugin hasn't been updated to work with the new QT5 version of Calibre coming next Friday. So if you'd best get a new workflow that doesn't rely on this plugin until it's been updated.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:44 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Calibre converts DOCX and RTF without the need for a plugin. Also, this plugin hasn't been updated to work with the new QT5 version of Calibre coming next Friday. So if you'd best get a new workflow that doesn't rely on this plugin until it's been updated.
Workflow = stay on calibre v1.48
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 08:55 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Workflow = stay on calibre v1.48
But then you lose any bug fixes/new features.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:17 PM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
But then you lose any bug fixes/new features.
... which may or may not actually be relevant depending on a person's particular needs.

I run from source, and today pulled a series of new changes, like

a recipe update -- I don't use recipes
fix for Get books related to Project Gutenberg -- I don't use Get books
allow customizing ebook-format icons, and show them in the tag browser -- I tested this for someone else, but will never use it myself (I think)
allowing multiple libraries to be distinguished in Calibre Companion based on the port # they broadcast from. -- I don't have CC.
fix for inheriting MTP in a custom device plugin -- this was someone else's unique problem.

Oh. Em. Gee! Not one of those changes changed anything for me!

Many people update once every few months to a year, when something they use starts giving them problems. It is a valid usage.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 02:30 AM   #10
rebl
rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Also, this plugin hasn't been updated to work with the new QT5 version of Calibre coming next Friday. So if you'd best get a new workflow that doesn't rely on this plugin until it's been updated.
oh, I didn't know that.
I got a bunch of DOC files and [long story short?] all I wanted to do is Count Words, using the respective plug-in, but that can't work with a format which is not supported as an input format... So I needed the DOC input plugin just to count the words in my books. But now a bigger problem arises because I've just realized without the possibility to convert DOC I don't know how will I transfer my DOCs to my kindle. Maybe send all to Amazon ? lol

Funny thing is that supposedly the Windows (7) OS should be able to read word count from DOC files (not sure how exactly but the Column is there in explorer - though it shows nothing.... )

Last edited by rebl; 08-19-2014 at 02:32 AM.
Old 08-19-2014, 03:34 AM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Qt5 version

I've got to stop looking at threads for plugins that I don't use...

I'm not igi, but attached is a version of the plugin that should work with both versions of calibre. I don't use the plugin myself, so I haven't done much testing. Unfortunately, I do have a problem, but it appears in both this version and the old version, so it might be my machine.

The problem is that when I tried to open the conversion input options from the preference, calibre hung. This only happened after installing this plugin. And it happened with 1.48. If I select a DOC format file in the library and start a conversion, the UI is displayed OK and I can look at the DOC input options.

If someone can test in both versions of calibre and check that it works for them, we can the first post updated. If anyone does have problems, please report them here and I'll see what I can do.

Last edited by davidfor; 08-24-2014 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Removed beta version. Get the version from later in the thread.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:56 AM   #12
rebl

I was trying to test this on a different system but not having office installed and installing only the fileformatconverters, it installed the wordconv.exe exactly in the default path (C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12) - so I can't reproduce the problem I had on the other system. This is a Win 7 32-bit system.

I'll try again on the 64-bit system, that one has the Office 2010 installed and the wordconv.exe is ALREADY in [...]Program Files (x86)\[...]\Office14 folder and I suppose it won't work (or should it work???) to install fileformatconverters? Maybe that was the problem? I saw I already have wordconv.exe (but in a different path) and thought it should work with that one.
On the other hand I doubt the install program would agree to install a second copy on the same system....

But a problem still persists- the usefulness of the select location / browse for file dialogue.
I've manally copied the wordconv.exe to a different path, just to test, and the behavior is the same as noticed yesterday with the older version of the plugin: the dialogue allows me to select a different location, it correctly lists the location in the textbox (and also allows me to manually edit/input the path) but after applying it actually does not save the change and the default path is still there.
That behaviour is in the Preferences / input / doc dialogue and not in the Settings of the Conversion dialogue. The two dialogues are very similar, but one is in the Preferences and should set the .. well.. preference forever, while the other one is in the convert dialoge and I suppose is a temporary setting valid for the active conversion.

On the bright side, leaving aside wordconv path changing, the plugin works apparenly ok on my Win7 32 bit system with wordconv installed in its default location, and I was able to perform a bulk conversion. I am not sure but I suspect the old plugin could have worked too (on the system with default wordconv location), because I was also working in single convert mode on the 64bit system, because I could change the wordconv path (in single mode you can change the path, in bulk mode you can't, because you can't edit input preferences in the bulk convert dialogue - so obviously it did not work on the system with the non-default wordconv location).

Last edited by rebl; 08-19-2014 at 10:05 AM.
Old 08-19-2014, 06:25 PM   #13
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
and

There is also the option of saving as Filtered HTML and converting it to whatever.

Another advantage of DOCX is that the file will usually be smaller than the equivalent .DOC, .RTF or .HTM

BR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	1092
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	127080  
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 10:32 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I did something in Word last week and it was in DOC. I then saved it as .DOCX and it changed the formatting so I had to stick with DOC.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:55 PM   #15
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
I did something in Word last week and it was in DOC. I then saved it as .DOCX and it changed the formatting so I had to stick with DOC.
If the docx was created in MSWord 2007 or later have you tried the compatibility options in MSWord and selecting laying out the docx document as if created in Word 2003?

(in MSWord 2007: Word Options>Advanced Options>Compatibility options for>Lay out this document as if created in: and try selecting "Microsoft Office Word 2003")
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote