Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-13-2011, 07:20 PM   #1
ReneAZ
eBookaholic
ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kindle Fire
Cover for Kobo - please post yours!

I just got my Kobo yesterday ($69 at a local Borders, couldn't pass it up!) and have been trying to find a cover.

I have a Kindle 3 and there are scads of covers to choose from, but I'm having some difficulty finding one for the Kobo that I like. The problem is that they all seem to have an elastic band covering the power button! I am concerned that if the elastic is tight, it will keep the power button depressed. Should I be concerned about that?

If you have a cover that you love and with no issues (covering controls), please post it or post a link.

Thank you so much!
Rene
ReneAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:54 PM   #2
blackcats
blackcats began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Kobo(wifi)
Hi Rene!

I have the same cover you describe for my Kobo. The corner elastics look like they touch the power button, but they don't. I have the synthetic cover with a skin and I love it. I have seen covers with a wide elastic across the top and I think they would be more intrusive.

~blackcats
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2651.JPG
Views:	256
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	68310   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2652.JPG
Views:	321
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	68311  
blackcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2011, 10:04 PM   #3
ReneAZ
eBookaholic
ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks Blackcats! I was really concerned that the power button was covered on every cover I could find. Looks like the elastic on the top right corner is not nearly as large as I have seen. Actually, they're pretty teeny Holds the Kobo securely though I guess.

One question - does the left side fold back so you can hold with one hand?
And does the closing flap get in the way? I love my Javoedge cover for my Kindle (no closing tab), but I guess JE does not make Kobo covers.
I really do like this cover though. Thanks so much for posting!
Old 03-13-2011, 11:27 PM   #4
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Go a Kobo today for the same deal as you, Karen. I need a cover and would appreciate any leads on a good, less expensive (hopefully) cover for it.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 01:08 AM   #5
MorganM
Fanatic
MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MorganM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2o
This is my Kobo cover but I paid $27 for it lol and it was a custom. The material is beautiful and is all glittery. I bought it off Etsy and there are tons of different covers for a Kobo ranging from cheap to expensive.

MorganM is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2011, 02:57 AM   #6
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
I have a dermapad cover from Amazon. The elastic definitely covers the power button but it really doesn't matter. I've had the cover for over 6 months and it has never turned on by mistake or got stuck. I turn it on through the elastic - ie I don't take it out.

I wouldn't worry, your reader will be fine.

Edited to add that with the dermapad cover you can fold the left hand side right back and the magnetic clasp holds in in place. Excellent for holding with one hand and eating - or sipping a glass of wine - with the other.

Last edited by kiwipippa; 03-15-2011 at 02:52 AM.
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 03:26 AM   #7
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
I have a dermapad cover also. Really good quality and not expensive either.

http://www.amazon.com/Kobo-eReader-L...0087536&sr=8-3
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 06:49 AM   #8
blackcats

Rene,

The left side flap can be bent back, but it doesn't really flex easily to do so. The little magnetic closing tab does not get in the way, it just hangs by itself off to the side when open. There is just enough padding on the cover so it can be put in a tote bag or purse without worrying that the screen will crack, but it's not bulky at all. I like Morgans cover ...I may have to sew one up someday!
Old 03-14-2011, 12:17 PM   #9
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
i haven't purchased a case but i have the roots pouch - black - it's comfy and easy to carry around and keeps from getting the kobo scratched.

my one concern about a case for the kobo would be having to hold a flap open where as the kobo naked you just hold that and don't have to worry about a flap bouncing back, just wondering if anyone finds that bothersome?
i left the tag on it and may return it and get another but so far so good.

Black Sleeve
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 01:07 PM   #10
amo
Teaist
amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Aura ONE, Android cell phone
I made my own cover, with the elastics in the corners similar to blackcat's. It's a bit of a nuisance to get to the power button, but there's really not much danger of it getting accidentally pushed; it's not a very sensitive button (I find I have to push it pretty hard to make it do anything). If anything, the elastic protects the power button from an accidental push.
amo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 02:05 PM   #11
blackcats

Siraks,

I usually take the Kobo out of the case when I'm reading in bed because it's easier to hold it that way when laying down. I put it back in it's case for protection when I'm done. Takes about 2 seconds to get it back in again. Anywhere else I just keep it in the case. The cover flap can be bent back to hold on one hand. It will also just stay open like my 2nd picture in my post above.
Old 03-14-2011, 02:26 PM   #12
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcats View Post
Siraks,

I usually take the Kobo out of the case when I'm reading in bed because it's easier to hold it that way when laying down. I put it back in it's case for protection when I'm done. Takes about 2 seconds to get it back in again. Anywhere else I just keep it in the case. The cover flap can be bent back to hold on one hand. It will also just stay open like my 2nd picture in my post above.
Thanks for the info, i will take a closer look for a case. unfortunately we're a bit limited here where i live and both stores only have the sleeves avail right now and the cases online seem to still be sold out.
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 02:15 PM   #13
Clap42
Clap42 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo wifi
Cheapest sleeve cover for Kobo:

Go to Walmart, and buy a Potholder (7in. x 8.5 in. by MainStays) for $5. You have different colors to choose from: black, green, red, brown; and the size is perfect for the Kobo. I put the screen on the side of the 'heat resistance' pad for more padding.
Now my Kobo Wifi is well protected in the front net pocket of my backpack!
Clap42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 03:27 PM   #14
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Could you cut a piece of cardboard to size and slip it in to protect the screen a bit more?
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 04:51 PM   #15
ReneAZ
eBookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
I have a dermapad cover also. Really good quality and not expensive either.

http://www.amazon.com/Kobo-eReader-L...0087536&sr=8-3
Hi,
I purchased this cover and am very disappointed with the quality.
The leather is very thin, and just pulled over thin cardboard. There is no padding whatsoever.
I was looking for something that I could fold back and hold with one hand, but the leather (since it is loose around the cardboard) just bulges.

I am having the hardest time finding a good cover!
All I want is something with padding that will fold back easily to hold with one hand, and that does not have a closing tab to get in the way.
I have a Javoedge Mimo case for my Kindle which is perfect, but they don't make it for Kobo. Grrrrrr sooo frustrating!

If anyone comes across something like this, please let me know!

Thanks all,
Rene