Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-10-2011, 08:45 PM   #16
vulcan_girl
Groupie
vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vulcan_girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nada y Nadie View Post
Do you know: Does the library buy a regular ebook and then modify it somehow so that it will expire when it's due? Or do they only buy ebooks which are in a special format?
The supplier (usually Overdrive) provides the books and the encryption is from Adobe, for epub and pdf files. From what I've read here, Adobe chages 22 cents for each book for encryption.
vulcan_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:54 AM   #17
CHunter_Author
Zealot
CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Response

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
The library buys a special license for only so many books and lends them out for a loan period that can be customized. Once they're all lent, they start up a waiting list. Just like your regular library does. Adobe Digital Editions manages the licensing/DRM stuff for epubs and pdfs, and those books (license) can be "returned" early, opening it up for the 1st person on the wait list, etc.; otherwise the license "expires" on the due date and the library gets the rights back to lend it out again. It's very similar to borrowing a dtb from the real library, only when it's due, the library takes it back and you don't have to do anything about it, no overdue fines!
Thank you, Joykins!
CHunter_Author is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2011, 08:53 PM   #18
gudrun45
Enthusiast
gudrun45 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS350
Singapore Library

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaigreg View Post
I "joined" this library, but when I try to access anything under their "eresources" it tells me
"You are not authorized to view this eResource outside the library."

Where did I go wrong?

Gudrun
gudrun45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:08 PM   #19
Kiasmama
Kiasmama began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by gudrun45 View Post
I "joined" this library, but when I try to access anything under their "eresources" it tells me

Where did I go wrong?

Gudrun
Did you get your card number?
Kiasmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:38 PM   #20
gudrun45
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiasmama View Post
Did you get your card number?
Well, no. But it lets me log in.
How would I get a card number?
Advert
Old 02-11-2011, 10:00 PM   #21
redbees
Enthusiast
redbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Paperwhite 2, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by gudrun45 View Post

Where did I go wrong?

Gudrun
I received a similar error message when initially attempting to sign and check out books. I am assuming that you were, like me, following links around the library site, and ending up in the wrong place. It is necessary to go to the Digital Catalogue area. Here is the link:

http://singapore.lib.overdrive.com/C...en/Default.htm

(I am guessing that we were having similar problems. If this doesn't work for you, then I don't know what else might be wrong. Good luck.)

Last edited by redbees; 02-11-2011 at 10:09 PM.
redbees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:18 PM   #22
gudrun45
Enthusiast

[QUOTE=redbees;1391049] It is necessary to go to the Digital Catalogue area. Here is the link:
http://singapore.lib.overdrive.com/C...en/Default.htm

You are right, I was in the wrong place, but it still requires a "NRIC/Membership no./FIN:"
I don't have either.
I signed up as a foreigner without a FIN (whatever that is), using my passport number. It does say right there, that access to eResources will only be allowed from in the library....
But if the rest of you get in, why can't I?
Old 02-11-2011, 11:03 PM   #23
gudrun45
Enthusiast

Okay, I did it. I got in. They wanted my passport number! Why don't they say so?
I guess I'm extra dense....

Gudrun
Old 02-12-2011, 02:35 AM   #24
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
More info on the Free Library of Philadelphia can be found in this thread

More info on the Singapore National Library can be found in this thread
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 06:59 PM   #25
Nada y Nadie
Enthusiast
Nada y Nadie is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nada y Nadie is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nada y Nadie is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nada y Nadie is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nada y Nadie is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nada y Nadie is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nada y Nadie is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nada y Nadie is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nada y Nadie is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nada y Nadie is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Nada y Nadie is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: none
Thanks to everyone for their posts - this discussion is very informative. Seems like a lot of libraries don’t have good ebook selections. It’s too bad, because I know many small publishers and indie authors would be glad to get their books into these libraries to increase the selection for readers. I wonder if anyone has any ideas on how we could make that happen?
Nada y Nadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:40 PM   #26
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nada y Nadie View Post
I wonder if anyone has any ideas on how we could make that happen?
The first thing would probably be to get setup with Overdrive since they're the distributor that handles the eBooks for most library programs.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 03:41 PM   #27
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I have applied for a card at the Philidelphia library, but a US friend also has allowed me to check out books on her account as long as she doesn't need them. Really neat!

In Sweden we have quite an extensive list of eBooks in our library. Most of them Swedish though. (Not just when it comes to the language, but to the origin.)

We don't ever have to wait for an eBook. It's always available. I think the library buys a certain number of licenses from our Overdrive equivalent, but it's not tied to specific books. When the licenses run out - tough! (They did just before Christmas last year when I had my eyes on a really interesting book about Berlusconi to read during the weekend. Had to wait until after NewYear when they got new licenses.)

Thanks for the tip on the Singapor library! It doesn't hurt to have yet another option!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 10:23 AM   #28
Lirael
Moomin
Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lirael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350
MobileRead has convinced me. I finally sent off a Philadelphia Free Library application! Now comes the difficult part - waiting for it to go through! XD

Does anyone know how long it takes? Do they email me info, or send me a physical card?

I'm sooooooo impatient!
Lirael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 11:11 AM   #29
PG4003
Addict
PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PG4003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW I & II, Kindle Voyage, Fire HD 7", Fire HD 8.9"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lirael View Post
MobileRead has convinced me. I finally sent off a Philadelphia Free Library application! Now comes the difficult part - waiting for it to go through! XD

Does anyone know how long it takes? Do they email me info, or send me a physical card?

I'm sooooooo impatient!
They are not real fast, it took me about 2 weeks to get mine. I kept watching my bank account for my check to clear, then 8 days after my check cleared, I still didn't have anything so I emailed them. They responded right away and emailed me my number, then I received a physical card in the mail. I don't know if they automatically email you the number or if you have to stay on top of it and ask.

But you won't be sorry, I've gotten a lot of good books from them. Well worth the $15.
PG4003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 11:23 AM   #30
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lirael View Post

I'm sooooooo impatient!
When I sent in my application and check last fall, it took a little over two weeks for me to receive the card in the mail.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote