Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-09-2010, 08:01 AM   #16
TotallyEpic
Enthusiast
TotallyEpic began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3G + Wifi
Am I the only one that finds it cheap looking?

Looks like it would be a cool eReader for a kid though.
TotallyEpic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 04:38 PM   #17
MR. Pockets
Addict
MR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch, Aluratek Libre Pro
Nope. I would buy it if I could justify getting a second so soon. But I can't. Now if it was $75...

That thing is small!
MR. Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2010, 05:43 PM   #18
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
Epic, yes, I think it looks cheap. I already said the red one looks like an etch-a-sketch, and they all look like children's toys.
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 05:55 PM   #19
macminer
Connoisseur
macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 3, Lenovo Tab 4 8" (formerly many others)
Just one thought: in many countries a "cheap" looking device is the only one that's worth carrying around. If something looks cool, trendy and pro, it will quickly attract thieves or muggers...
macminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 06:28 PM   #20
LuBiB
Banned
LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, iPhone, JETBOOK COLOR!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Same here. The lack of basic support for at least epub and pdf would be a great negative point...
if you use Calibre and convert any ePub book to TXT it reads pretty well so i think its not that big of an issue, especially figuring that for $99 bucks ur saving a lot!
LuBiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2010, 07:52 PM   #21
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuBiB View Post
if you use Calibre and convert any ePub book to TXT it reads pretty well so i think its not that big of an issue, especially figuring that for $99 bucks ur saving a lot!
Of course, if you do that, you loose any formatting that can't be supported by txt, like italics and bold.

The fact that they support .fb2 suggests that the device should be capable of supporting epub. I have already emailed Ectaco and told them I thought they would loose a lot of sales by not supporting ePub on the device itself and that suggesting that someone use third party software (no matter how good) to convert to .fb2 or .txt was not really supporting those other formats.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 10:53 AM   #22
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuBiB View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
Of course, if you do that, you loose any formatting that can't be supported by txt, like italics and bold.
My point exactly. Txt is the worst format for a book as you'll lose all layout. I've no idea how smart Calibre is, but a lot of formatting is in stylesheets (at least, in my epubs) and that includes italics and bold, but also indentation, small-caps, larger fonts, smaller fonts, padding, etc.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:09 AM   #23
akira28
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I really can't see a reader which appears to offer no support for commercial eBook formats being a success.
Not sure why you would think it doesn't support them. According to the website it supports the following:

"Support for LIT, MOBI, EPUB, HTML, PRC, RTF, PDB, PDF via Calibre conversion to TXT and FB2"
Old 10-12-2010, 11:58 AM   #24
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akira28 View Post
Not sure why you would think it doesn't support them. According to the website it supports the following:

"Support for LIT, MOBI, EPUB, HTML, PRC, RTF, PDB, PDF via Calibre conversion to TXT and FB2"
You are joking right?

--
Bill
Old 10-12-2010, 01:48 PM   #25
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

It supports TXT and FB2. Nothing more.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:27 PM   #26
akira28
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
It supports TXT and FB2. Nothing more.
Maybe I'm reading it wrong but because the way it was listed it made it appear to me that PDF's are the only format that needed converting. If you are correct I can't understand why Ectaco wouldn't put the same software in it that they have for the other Jetbooks. Perhaps they didn't want to incorporate the extra expense of adding an Adobe Mobile license.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:31 PM   #27
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Maybe I'm reading it wrong but because the way it was listed it made it appear to me that PDF's are the only format that needed converting.
akira, that was my initial interpretation as well. However, discussions on the Ectaco board and the video made by Ectaco's Jerry indicate that Sweetpea is correct. Jerry wrote, "I don't know of any plans to expand the format support beyond the FB2 and TXT formats."

http://www.ectaco.com/posts/list/20081.page
GA Russell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:44 PM   #28
bill_mchale
Wizard

Quote:
Maybe I'm reading it wrong but because the way it was listed it made it appear to me that PDF's are the only format that needed converting. If you are correct I can't understand why Ectaco wouldn't put the same software in it that they have for the other Jetbooks. Perhaps they didn't want to incorporate the extra expense of adding an Adobe Mobile license.
They only would have needed to license adobe Mobile if they wanted to support DRM. The firmware on my existing Jetbook uses FB reader so it supports quite a few formats quite well.

That being said, I suspect that the limited format support is because they probably pared the processor and memory of the unit down to increase battery life. Not a bad trade off... if they had chosen ePub instead of .fb2. If you are planning on reading mostly PG books, you probably loose nothing. If you want to read newer works though, you have to depend on well Calibre supports .fb2 (its my understanding, maybe mistaken that .fb2 support while functional, is not a super high priority for Calibre).

--
Bill
Old 10-14-2010, 02:00 AM   #29
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
They only would have needed to license adobe Mobile if they wanted to support DRM. The firmware on my existing Jetbook uses FB reader so it supports quite a few formats quite well.

That being said, I suspect that the limited format support is because they probably pared the processor and memory of the unit down to increase battery life. Not a bad trade off... if they had chosen ePub instead of .fb2. If you are planning on reading mostly PG books, you probably loose nothing. If you want to read newer works though, you have to depend on well Calibre supports .fb2 (its my understanding, maybe mistaken that .fb2 support while functional, is not a super high priority for Calibre).

--
Bill
Indeed. Epub would have been a much better choice than FB2, which, as far as I know, is primarily used in Russia. At least, I've never heard of it before I came to this forum... (and I've been in the ebook scene for a long time...)