Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-29-2010, 10:51 PM   #1
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Your longest reading marathon?

By "reading marathon", I mean where you have first started reading a long-running series and you read all of the available books in a row, with no other books in between.

Mine is for Terry Pratchett's Discworld series. I came in to it only a few years back and read all 33 novels available at that time back to back. (I had kept statistics on it at the time-- the number of pages read, the time it took me-- but I can't find the file. It was somewhere around 2 to 2 1/2 months to read the 33 novels.)
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 11:57 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
[QUOTE=ardeegee;1137732]By "reading marathon", I mean where you have first started reading a long-running series and you read all of the available books in a row, with no other books in between.

/QUOTE]

Aboslutely. I started late with Janet Evanovich, and had to go back and read them from book one........

And then there was the Agatha Christie Poirot series...had to read all of those ......

The latest has to be Tim Dorsey's Serge Storm.....couldn't wait to see what he would be up to next.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2010, 12:18 AM   #3
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
I would say the Ed McBain 87th precinct novels. I found out about him around 2004 and went on an orgy of reading his books. He wrote a lot of them.

I wish more of the older ones were available as ebooks, I think I have purchased all available, but the man wrote over 50 of them!
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 12:28 AM   #4
WriterGurl1
Heidi
WriterGurl1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WriterGurl1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WriterGurl1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WriterGurl1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WriterGurl1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WriterGurl1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WriterGurl1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WriterGurl1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WriterGurl1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WriterGurl1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WriterGurl1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I admit it...my sister-in-law lent me her Twilight book and I went out and bought all of them that weekend because I had to know what would happen. I didn't do anything else until I was finished...disappointed. Loved the characters, but wow, I guess I should say it was my longest "skimming" marathon.

I love Janet Evanovich too, but can't claim to have read them all in a row...she's prolific!
WriterGurl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 01:33 AM   #5
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I re-read all of the Wheel of Time books getting ready for the one that came out last year. I'm not sure how many pages that is, but as anyone who as read those books can attest, they are weighty. I think it took about 2 months
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2010, 01:37 AM   #6
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Hmm, not sure, but the last one I had was 3 books by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson, the Legends of Dune. I read them all three within one week. Mostly at night, as the days were spent skiing and doing other snow fun...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 03:01 AM   #7
M0zza
Geek... Apparently
M0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsM0zza can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Silver), ASUS Transformer TF300T, IPAD Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
I re-read all of the Wheel of Time books getting ready for the one that came out last year. I'm not sure how many pages that is, but as anyone who as read those books can attest, they are weighty. I think it took about 2 months
I did the same. As there was such a long gap between each book I used to do it every other year or so.
M0zza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 03:02 AM   #8
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
The Steven Saylor books.

I couldn't wait to get my hands on the next one. I honestly don't know how long it took, but I think that governments changed hands during that time.!!

Cheers.
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 05:55 AM   #9
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
The Sword of Truth; prior to each new book, I would re-read all the previous ones ...

[and we still haven't any dates for the TV show to appear in the UK ! and the DVDs are Region 1 (of course !)]
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:24 AM   #10
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
The J.D. Robb series. I started buying the new ones in ebook, and then there was a Fictionwise 50% off sale (those were the days!) and I bought the whole backlist. I got through about 10 of them, one a day, before needing a break for something else.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:13 AM   #11
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
I think the most I've read in a series in a row is 3, with the Harry Bosch series (the first 3 novels).

As far as time, probably around 5 or 6 hours in a row.
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 02:44 AM   #12
Falcao
Banned
Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650
I don't know if this counts but I read the complete works of Jorge Luis Borges and the complete works of Edgar Allan Poe (at different time frames), both cover to cover.
Falcao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 12:19 PM   #13
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
When on bedrest while pregnant with my daughter I read the North America's Forgotten Past by the Gears, but that was several books in the series ago. LOL.

I also have read the Sookie Stackhouse books straight through (on my 300). And before books 5-7 came out I re-read the Harry Potter series.

In high school I remember reading everything by Stephen King I could get my hands on from the library, but I don't remember if I read other things in between.

Oh, and I occasionally read the Dark Hunter series by Sherrilyn Kenyon straight through, and the Carpathian Series by Christine Feehan. These are two long series.

I tend to get into a story arc I like and want to re-read everything. Stupid Agency 5 thing, keeping me from buying the newest in the series for a reasonable price. Why in Hades would I pay $13 for an ebook? I never buy hardbacks, so I'll wait for the paperback and either buy it or the electronic version if the price drops. Or be forced to find from other sources, but I do NOT want to deprive the authors of revenue.
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 01:44 PM   #14
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

Device: PB360+, Sony950, VR Stream, iPod Touch, iPad
I don't think I've ever gone on a reading marathon by the criteria outlined in the original post. I've usually got at least 3 books in progress at any one time--1 nonfiction and 2 fiction from different genres.
Fledchen is offline   Reply With Quote