Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 09-28-2010, 09:34 AM   #1
lamoe
Enthusiast
lamoe doesn't litterlamoe doesn't litter

Device: Pandigital Novel, Nextar T30, HTC EVO
Free SIFI books from Baen

Didn't see this info under e-books forum

Great sites for free SIFI -

I have about 200 of thier e-books

The first is run by the publisher and the 2nd is a compulation of the free cd's they include with some of their 1st edition books - yep, the cd is attached to the rear cover and readers are allowed to copy and pass them around as long as they don't sell them.

http://www.baen.com/library/

http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/

If you need a PDF convertor here's the one I use

http://www.nitroreader.com/default.a...mpaign=PrimoAd
lamoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:12 AM   #2
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamoe View Post
Didn't see this info under e-books forum
http://www.baen.com/library/

http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/

If you need a PDF convertor ...
This was posted here many, many times.
It is even in our wiki here: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Free_eBooks

I do not see a reason why would you need pdf converter for those books. You can download Baen free books in many formats.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2010, 10:33 AM   #3
lamoe
Enthusiast

Sorry about the duplication - thought Bean might have been listed looked but didn't find it - some of the books from the 2nd site are in Word only and I need to convert to PDF to read on my Pandigital

Help - what would have been the correct format for searching for Bean books?
Old 09-28-2010, 10:40 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Sorry about the duplication - thought Bean might have been listed looked but didn't find it - some of the books from the 2nd site are in Word only and I need to convert to PDF to read on my Pandigital

Help - what would have been the correct format for searching for Bean books?
Please: it is Baen not bean

Baen CD's contain most of the formats supported. (HTML, LIT,RB,PRC/Mobi)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:41 AM   #5
lamoe
Enthusiast

Getting old - looked at Wiki agian - there was Bean
Advert
Old 09-28-2010, 10:48 AM   #6
Hatgirl
Addict
Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-T2, Kindle (7th Gen)
As theducks said, the publisher is called Baen, not Bean.

The founder of the company was called Jim Baen, it has nothing to do with legumes.
Hatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:55 AM   #7
lamoe
Enthusiast

Slightly Dyslexic – transpose letters if I don’t pay very close attention even with spell checker - eyes see what mind wants them to.

Only got it right when it was copied.

Reading not a problem just writing.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:23 AM   #8
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
S'alright.
You've got good taste for books and publishers.
Baen's the good guys.
Worth supporting and promoting at every chance.

And there *is* news to report: two new Promo CDs are coming to the Fifth Imperium in the next month or so. One for Lois McMaster Bujold's CRYOBURN celebrating the Vorkosigan Saga. The other for 1635: THE EASTERN FRONT highlighting the Grantville saga. They'll be uploaded once the treeware hits the street.

Better yet, they'll be available at the source itself with the Webscription release of the relevant books (1635 now, CRYOBURN in about two weeks) making those webscriptions an even better deal than usual.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 11:25 AM   #9
SaraD
Groupie
SaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with others

Device: Sony 650, Basic Kindle 7th generation
To my pleasant surprise the Baen disc I looked at from the newest Honor Harrington book just a few months ago included Epub as a format option. It is now listed on the website as well though I have not yet tried to download anything from the free library in Epub.
SaraD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 11:38 AM   #10
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
S'alright.
You've got good taste for books and publishers.
Baen's the good guys.
Worth supporting and promoting at every chance.

And there *is* news to report: two new Promo CDs are coming to the Fifth Imperium in the next month or so. One for Lois McMaster Bujold's CRYOBURN celebrating the Vorkosigan Saga. The other for 1635: THE EASTERN FRONT highlighting the Grantville saga. They'll be uploaded once the treeware hits the street.

Better yet, they'll be available at the source itself with the Webscription release of the relevant books (1635 now, CRYOBURN in about two weeks) making those webscriptions an even better deal than usual.
WONDERFUL!
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 11:58 AM   #11
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraD View Post
To my pleasant surprise the Baen disc I looked at from the newest Honor Harrington book just a few months ago included Epub as a format option. It is now listed on the website as well though I have not yet tried to download anything from the free library in Epub.
They use Calibre for conversion, which does its usual good job. The only problem that I have on PRS505 is their formatting of "ellipsis" (three dots) character. They code it "<dot><nbsp><dot><nbsp><dot>", which is not touched by the Calibre (and it shouldn't).

Now, the darn ancient version of ADE on my prs505 does not like those "nbsp" characters one bit...
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 12:16 PM   #12
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
They even have the free books available through torrent files on the web the collections are that well known. I like the James Schmitz books. It's a shame he didn't write more books than he did during his career.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 03:03 PM   #13
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraD View Post

Just finished working my way through the whole Honor Series, great stuff.

Currently working on Weber's "The Stars at War"
Jim Baen, and all you authors over there, this ones for you! Salute!
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 03:17 PM   #14
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
Just finished working my way through the whole Honor Series, great stuff.

Currently working on Weber's "The Stars at War"
Jim Baen, and all you authors over there, this ones for you! Salute!
Excellent books all of them!! His other current series "Safehold" is also quite good as well!!
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 03:17 PM   #15
Hatgirl
Addict
Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-T2, Kindle (7th Gen)
Quote:
Slightly Dyslexic – transpose letters if I don’t pay very close attention even with spell checker - eyes see what mind wants them to.

Only got it right when it was copied.

Reading not a problem just writing.
A few of my friend's have dyslexia. What a pain in the arse for you!

Hmm... now that I think about it, a few of them choose to put something like "Please excuse any typos. I have dyslexia." in their forum signature to stop people grumbling about their spelling. (And some of my friends think it's nobody else's beeswax )
Hatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote