Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-01-2013, 09:17 AM   #31
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
I handled the T3 in store a few weeks ago, and while I didn't feel it was a compelling upgrade from my T2, if it dies, I'll probably be hopping over the border to buy the T3 for library usage, (although I'd probably check eBay for a used T2 first). I also like the wireless library link, and I buy a lot from Kobo, which the Sony supports wirelessly, too.

I did order a Paperwhite 2, but I'm really holding out for whatever e-Ink NOOK releases. I'm still uncomfortable with the Amazon-library store link, and I've tried but failed to like the Kindle software. Maybe the PW2 will wow me.

Last edited by simplyparticular; 10-01-2013 at 09:19 AM.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:37 AM   #32
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Kindle for PC Mac Android etc.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...dle%20for%20pc

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:30 AM   #33
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalReader View Post
Here is the situation I faced trying to purchase from Amazon.

I buy a Kindle book. It tells me to go to the "manage your books". There are no options to download a "Kindle for PC/Mac" program on the webpage. Unlike Google and other bookstores, there is no option to download the file. Sony, Kobo, etc. don't care if I have a e-reader or not. I can download the files. In fact, to read the book, Amazon says I should install the Kindle cloud reader on my browser, which I do. So how should I know that a completely separate application is available for PC/Mac. Indeed, what is the point of the PC/Mac application if one has a cloud reader in the browser?

Again, if you read the page it's very easy. Up at the top of any Kindle page is a link called FREE READING APPS. And from there you pick whichever one you want, cloud, smartphone, computer or tablet. It's really not that hard.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 12:40 AM   #34
SoCalReader
Enthusiast
SoCalReader began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-950SC, Sony PRS-T2, (former) Amazon Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
Again, if you read the page it's very easy. Up at the top of any Kindle page is a link called FREE READING APPS. And from there you pick whichever one you want, cloud, smartphone, computer or tablet. It's really not that hard.
Oddly, I find quantum mechanics really not that difficult. (Rocks are hard, concepts are difficult.) But, apparently, I lack the attribute of being able to negotiate the webpages of Amazon.

So if I had located in the small font, far from the button, "Actions..." for my book or movie, the words "Free Reading Apps", I should have recognized that these apps would download the file to my computer, rather than being another way to read the books only on the cloud.

I stand by my original conjecture that Amazon's goal is to keep the files on the cloud thus limiting their use on other e-readers.

(By the way, a person tends not to mind being informed of knowledge she lacks, but isn't happy being told she possesses the skillsets of a three-year-old. )
SoCalReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:28 PM   #35
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalReader View Post
Oddly, I find quantum mechanics really not that difficult.
Therein lies your problem, you are suffering from uncertainty.

If you were to modify either your speed of your relating to the data available to you or the accuracy of your determination of where it is you would find that you would find the location of the data with a level of accuracy sufficient for the classical world of Maxwell, Einstein, etc., and even of that of Newton, that the rest of us live in.

Of course, for the rest of us, we cast curved balls through space-time to fix the location of the things one needs sufficient for the real world experience. If you were to have thrown such a ball in a search for readers through Amazon's web-space-time and taken a little time about it, rather than just succumbing to quantum uncertainty, you would have found that at least one concept of quantum physics applies in the classical world in that things really can be in two places at once, and that is so without the mental gymnastics and reliance on equations that quantum mechanics requires. (Perhaps there is a lead into a unified theory of everything in that observation?).

Of course, if you threw that same ball at Google you would find that you would be delivered into the world of string theory where one dimensional information can be found in multiple dimensions due to the infinite number of solutions, but there confused by unreliability due to both of multiple opinions and non reliance of those opinions on evidence.

But I have some sympathy with your point in that Amazon's space-time is very warped and unlikely to survive in our dimension in the long term unless they take measures to flatten it (gravitas, perhaps?). I take pains to avoid being trapped into the black hole in its centre by keeping well away from the Kindle event horizon. However, at this time I, using the good advice above, have found no limitations finding how to, and then capturing ebooks from Amazon using the wormhole from my PC into the Amazon dimension using the method they themselves provide (and which routes safely around the Kindle black hole) and then trapping them in my own dimension by applying Alf's disintegration theory and the Calibre reintegration equations.

Trusting this has been of some help, it being presented in a manner of quantum perspective, and that from a position not assuming of the as yet to be unravelled world of 3 year olds.

John

Last edited by AnotherCat; 10-02-2013 at 05:32 PM.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:18 PM   #36
Phil_C
Addict
Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phil_C ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350; Kobo Clara HD; Kobo Clara 2E
!!!!!!!!!!
Phil_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:26 PM   #37
grumbles
Addict
grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel (Black), T-2 and 3, Nexus 7
Traditionally Sony warranties are not portable across the border. Now, my information is somewhat outdated, I was last in the US in August 2000 but the issue comes up from time to time since many (most) electronics are (were) cheaper in the States than in Canada. Most electronic equipment in the States comes only with a 90 warranty (or used to). In Canada, the same device (I'm thinking of TVs now) would have a 1 year warranty. The way that it was explained at the time was that if a Canadian bought a device in the US, brought it back, they would only have a 90 day warranty. If you bought a device here in Canada and then took it back to the US you would still only have a 90 day warranty. Depending on the exchange rate and the price differential, there were times when this might actually make sense. The upshot is that Sony will give you as little warranty as they can get away with. If you are unconcerned about a warranty then go for it.

If you have choice, pick the province with the lowest sales tax. Alberta has none so all you will pay is the 5% GST. Between Ontario, Quebec and the Maritimes, Ontario's tax is lowest (13%), the Maritimes's is highest (15%). Quebec's is higher than Ontario's (or used to be) since they add the PST on top the GST (13+%).
grumbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:22 PM   #38
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just grabbed a T3 this evening. I'm happy so far! The red is not glossy, thank goodness. AND you get a $10 credit for a limited time. The details say in the Canadian store but I have a US account and it worked on my US account. It gave me $10 US. I bought a book with it. The code has to be registered and used before Feb, 2014.

The back of the box talks about the Sony store being for use in Canada & the US. The device itself asks where my location is US or Canada. The warranty page says it's good for US & Canada. So, nyah on the Sony rep! It's only 90 days so big whoop. If something goes wrong you're stuck paying anyways.

If you want one & you're near a border, I say go for it. I wanted to wait for the price drop but got a monetary gift from work so.....I went shopping!! The $10 coupon was a bonus too. Woot!
Old 10-02-2013, 09:23 PM   #39
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!

Oh & another observation, the USB cord is much shorter than the T1's was.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:50 AM   #40
Plumadona
Groupie
Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle HD6, Kindle PW2, Sony PRS-T1, Nook NE1
That's great information - thanks! Just one more reason to visit Canada...)
Plumadona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 01:39 PM   #41
ersott
Evangelist
ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite2, Ipad Air, Kobo Aura H2o
Please two questions shopaholic.

How is screen compared to sony prs t1?, whiter?, same?

and, do you have cover lighted? How do you think about it?, in the videos seems that light is very worse than t2 cover lighted...
ersott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:33 PM   #42
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!

It's hard to describe. The grey background seems to be a bit lighter than the T1. I've never had a T2. But it could just be one screen being different from another and not necessarily inherent between models in general. I do see a big difference in contrast though and I'd say that makes the background appear to be lighter. Does that make sense?

I've never bought the Sony lighted covers. I think they're too much money and can't justify spending half the cost of the reader on a cover. It just doesn't make sense to me. I do like the T3 lighted cover though. I think it's nice. I like the light and how bright it appears to be. I like the style of it and think it looks great.

The downsides for me, firstly is the price. That's a deal breaker for me. The second thing is that it makes the reader a bit heavier and bulky which is hard on my wrist.

I have so many covers and so many lights already, I'm not willing to spend that kind of money on an official one. I'm happy with what I have. Even if I had none, I still wouldn't spend that much on a lighted cover. That's just too much for me.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:51 PM   #43
mimosavj
Addict
mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, Nook HD+, Aura HD, Aura H2O v1, Libra 2
hi Shopaholic

Do you know if the T3 support Unicode fonts? Do they have any built in Unicode fonts? Can you load the attached epub file to the T3 & see if it displays normally (as in Example.jpg) or does it show boxes everywhere.

Thanks
mimosa
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Example.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	112772  
Attached Files
File Type: epub Tap Tho The Lu - The Lu.epub (171.1 KB, 127 views)

Last edited by mimosavj; 10-03-2013 at 09:55 PM.
mimosavj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:33 PM   #44
SoCalReader
Enthusiast

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
Therein lies your problem, you are suffering from uncertainty....
Thanks for setting me straight.

You see I assumed the problem was limited to non-relativistic conditions (no need for Klein-Gordan) but with a Hamiltonian operator which was intentionally non-Hermitian. This, of course, leads to complex eigenvalues – indeed, what I was assume were imaginary results that others should to be measure as real. Without the proper representation, my state vector could not be correctly expressed as a linear combination of the eigenstates of the system regardless the number of operations I performed leading the excess degeneracy in the observations. Had I, as you suggested, applied a non-zero manifold of curvature to the Hilbert space, I would have seen at the top of the page the word “Free apps” and its entanglement to downloading the files.

I'm still not sure what the potential operator of Amazon is these days, but clearly Sony's has vanished.

Thanks John, enjoyed your comments.
Old 10-05-2013, 02:28 PM   #45
SoCalReader
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by induna View Post

In any case, the switch to Amazon was painless. Calibre along with Apprentice Alf, made converting my content trivial. Now whenever I buy a book, I remove the copy protection, import it into Calibre, convert it if required, and read it on any device I want. The Kindle PW is an excellent reader and you really can't go wrong with one, in my opinion.
You understand that removing the copy right protection you have violated the license agreement. Sony or Amazon, or any other dealer that sells you book licences would have the authority to remove permission for you to download the file ever again. In short, do you understand that what you are doing is illegal?