Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-26-2013, 09:48 AM   #706
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenlong View Post
Ok, so I installed the hack prior to unsubscribing from the Special Offers, which I have since done successfully. Now I see the default screensavers instead of my custom ones. It seems like I should retry the install, but I'm still not able to uninstall the hack. I still see the linkss folder after each attempt. I've tried 3 or 4 times.
You don't have to uninstall to re-install. I did this yesterday. Just make sure your USB cable is NOT plugged in when you are doing the restart.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:07 AM   #707
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
That, and the uninstall doesn't remove the linkss folder anyway ;-).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:09 AM   #708
Marianogf777
Marianogf777 doesn't litterMarianogf777 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
@NiLuJe
Thanks! That is enlightening indeed! Just a suggestion for us dummies trying to hack our way into screensavers: put what you said to me ("The hack doesn't work with special offers") explicitly in the front page. Because what is said there ("This doesn't, and won't ever, help you bypass something you agreed to (screensaver ads), so please stop asking.") it's not clear on whether it will permit you to see the screensavers mixed among the offers or any other universe of possibilities available.

Thanks and keep up the great work!!
Marianogf777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:29 PM   #709
fenlong
fenlong began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Wifi
Quote:
That, and the uninstall doesn't remove the linkss folder anyway ;-).
Ok... good to know. I re-installed the hack and now my life is more beautiful. Thank you!
fenlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:57 AM   #710
nypaulie
Gātheist
nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, FireHD6 Gen4
Customizing other screens.

You can change other Paperwhite screens too. I replaced the two screens you see when you do a "Restart". The first screen comes up during the shutdown phase and the second one shows during the startup.

The shutdown screen resides here: /usr/share/blanket/shutdown/ and is named: "bg_medium_reboot.png".
The startup screen is here: /usr/share/blanket/splash/ and named: "bg_medium_defaultbg.png".

I can add detailed instructions if anyone needs them, but basically I just used KindleExplorer as root to overwrite the png files after sideloading them to a "holding" directory.

If this is off-topic I am sorry, but it is so screensaver-related I thought it should go here.

Last edited by nypaulie; 08-27-2013 at 09:19 AM.
nypaulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:03 AM   #711
nypaulie
Gātheist
nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nypaulie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Using this on Special Offers PWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianogf777 View Post
@NiLuJe
Thanks! That is enlightening indeed! Just a suggestion for us dummies trying to hack our way into screensavers: put what you said to me ("The hack doesn't work with special offers") explicitly in the front page. Because what is said there ("This doesn't, and won't ever, help you bypass something you agreed to (screensaver ads), so please stop asking.") it's not clear on whether it will permit you to see the screensavers mixed among the offers or any other universe of possibilities available.

Thanks and keep up the great work!!
I am VERY grateful for your post! So let's make this very clear...
If you have a PW with "Special Offers" this hack will NOT work, BUT if you pay some $ and have Amazon remove it the hack WILL work. Is this correct???
Old 08-27-2013, 10:39 AM   #712
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by nypaulie View Post
I am VERY grateful for your post! So let's make this very clear...
If you have a PW with "Special Offers" this hack will NOT work, BUT if you pay some $ and have Amazon remove it the hack WILL work. Is this correct???
Depending on your country, there may not be any charge for the removal.

Just contact Amazon customer service for the removal, it may or may not be "free" to remove them.

The site policy here changed about a year ago - we no longer support circumventing Amazon's advertisement display.

So you are correct:
"This hack will **WILL NOT** work on a Kindle in the SO (Special Offers) advertisement program".

The only choice offered here is for the owner to opt-out of the SO advertisement program.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:43 AM   #713
nypaulie
Gātheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
So you are correct:
"This hack will **WILL NOT** work on a Kindle in the SO (Special Offers) advertisement program".

The only choice offered here is for the owner to opt-out of the SO advertisement program.
This does not answer my final question (for the record) though. Will the hack work on PWs that have had the SO feature removed by Amazon?
Old 08-27-2013, 10:51 AM   #714
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
This does not answer my final question (for the record) though. Will the hack work on PWs that have had the SO feature removed by Amazon?
Yes, absolutely...
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:51 AM   #715
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Yes, of course.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:54 AM   #716
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Duh...
**YES**

Quote:
Sorry if English is not your first language, I thought that sentence answered your question.

Perhaps it should have read: "... choice offered here to make this hack work is for ..."

Or maybe the on-line translator you are using just messed up the translation.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:19 AM   #717
nypaulie
Gātheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Duh...
**YES**

Sorry if English is not your first language, I thought that sentence answered your question.

Perhaps it should have read: "... choice offered here to make this hack work is for ..."

Or maybe the on-line translator you are using just messed up the translation.
Sorry to have pushed your button with my persistence but after having the SO removed and reinstalling everything (JB, Python & Linkss) I am STILL just getting the woodblock-of-letters screensaver. I had replaced the .png file in the linkss/screensaver folder with my own in .png form and the correct size too.
Getting the one shown on the left - not the one I put into the screensaver directory.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2013_08_28T06_14_52-0400.jpg
Views:	483
Size:	234.0 KB
ID:	110116   Click image for larger version

Name:	paulies.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	110117  

Last edited by nypaulie; 08-28-2013 at 06:34 AM.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:40 AM   #718
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Sorry to have pushed your button with my persistence but after having the SO removed and reinstalling everything (JB, Python & Linkss) I am STILL just getting the woodblock-of-letters screensaver. I had replaced the .png file in the linkss/screensaver folder with my own in .png form and the correct size too.
Getting the one shown on the left - not the one I put into the screensaver directory.
Are you sure you are disconnecting the USB cable when performing the installs?
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:12 AM   #719
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
nypaulie: Read the text on the left image. Your device still thinks it is SO-enabled. Make sure you have let it phone home. If that doesn't help, contact Amazon CS.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:42 AM   #720
zxczxc
Addict
zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: PW
if you contact amazon saying that you want to remove SO, and you live somewhere unsupported, for example, in russia, even though they will do it for free, you still need your kindle registered to an account, you can't just give them the serial number.
so you can make and register an account for them as they wait on amazon web chat, etc.
after the kindle has had the SO removed, you can deregister the kindle.
zxczxc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, python, screensavers, touch