Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-30-2013, 02:31 AM   #1
ABS
ABS began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Kindle Touch Update Problem

Hello!

I have bought a used Kindle Touch with Firmware 5.1.2 .Now i want to make a Update to 5.3.2 but it terminates with the error message 006. The Amazon support told me that something on the Firmware was changed, because the Kindle was used by another i don't know what. Can i easily see what was installed (jailbreak,hacks,..)? How can i remove the changes, and be restored to an original state? Please give me a easy instruction because i don't know something about jailbreak,hacks,... and the programs that i need.

I hope someone can help me and sorry for my bad english!

best regards
Rene
ABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:49 AM   #2
digiridan
Enthusiast
digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.digiridan is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3, Thinkpad Tablet
Have you tried factory reset?
digiridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 03:21 AM   #3
ABS

Yes, I tried, but I still can not install the update.
I do not know whether at all what was changed, the seller does not answer anymore. Can I check if something was changed by the seller?
Old 01-30-2013, 04:45 AM   #4
ABS

The seller wrote that he has installed Chinese characters but also uninstalled again. What can I do about that?
Old 01-30-2013, 06:00 AM   #5
mfabry
mfabry began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Ask the seller if your device has been jailbroken. Also check out the developer's corner - people there are more likely to help you.
mfabry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:40 AM   #6
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Moved to dev corner.

To answer your question: have a look at the "simple debricking" thread. You can flash a pristine 5.1.2 firmware which will upgrade without problems.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:50 AM   #7
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Since the link to K5 diags+ssh (no fastboot needed!): is broken I will assist:

Main thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=170929
Read this for links to the images you might need and decide what tools to use

Handy links for your device:

K5 diags+ssh (no fastboot needed!): (One more mirror for K5 images) https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2202022
Quote:
Ok, here's another mirror containing *ALL* currently relevant images for K5: http://ixtab.tk/kindle-touch-images/
Pdf debricking guide: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=180789

Ixtabs Windows debricking tools & drivers: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2148818

Hope that helps.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:24 AM   #8
ABS

Thanks for your answers!

Yesterday i tried it like the pdf "Guide to debricking Kindle Touch" and when i want to copy the main partion with dd if=/mnt/us/mmcblk0p1.img of=/dev/mmcblk0p1 bs=4K i got dd: can't open '/mnt/us/mmcblk0p1.img': No such file or directory

What am I doing wrong? I copied the file "mmcblk0p1.img" an the kindle root with explorer.

Can you give me a step to step guide what is the problem and the solution for it?
Old 01-31-2013, 02:54 AM   #9
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Give us a step by step guide of what you entered, in the order entered.
Without knowing what you have done, all that can be guessed at is you didn't follow the directions. Like, maybe a skipped step or a typo'd command.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:07 AM   #10
ABS

I do step by step like the pdf guide here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=180789

And on Page 11, point 7 i have the problem.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:32 AM   #11
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So.. what happens if you type ls /mnt/us/mmcblk0p1.img

I mean you say you copied it on there, why not just check that it is actually where you expect. Because that error looks a lot like "User Error"
Old 01-31-2013, 03:53 AM   #12
ABS

Ok, i will check it when i am at home.

When the file is there, what can be the reason and what can i do when the file is not there?

I have copied the file from my harddrive to the Kindle with Explorer and i see it with the Explorer.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:36 AM   #13
twobob

I would have to read the guide (and I'm away for the day now) It sounds like you are in a mode that can't see FAT maybe.

Check the steps.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:47 AM   #14
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABS View Post
Ok, i will check it when i am at home.

When the file is there, what can be the reason and what can i do when the file is not there?

I have copied the file from my harddrive to the Kindle with Explorer and i see it with the Explorer.
The file isn't there. Definitely. Otherwise dd would have worked.

I'm assuming that the file was packed and you didn't unpack it, or you're misspelling the name, or something like that. But that's all speculation, because only you can find out. Actually, it may make more sense to run ls -l /mnt/us/mmcblk*, rather than trying to ls a file which isn't there in the first place
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:08 PM   #15
ABS

@ Ixtab: You were right, the file was to mmcblk0p1.img.img renamed and so I could not find it. Everything worked out great.

Thanks again to all for your help!

best regards
Rene