Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-19-2012, 09:47 AM   #1
sriramvenkatesan
sriramvenkatesan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Installing Tamil Fonts on Kindle 4.1.0

Hi,
I am new to this forum. Can anyone guide me on how to install Tamil Fonts on Kindle 4.1.0? I want to read some PDF and text files with Tamil Contents in it.

Thanks in Advance
sriramvenkatesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:00 PM   #2
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Don't the PDF files work ok on the Kindle without the need to make any changes? You probably need to hack/jailbreak the Kindle to allow you to install custom fonts for anything else though. Check out the developers forum, there should be information in there.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2012, 01:02 PM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Yeah, no need to touch anything for PDF, it embeds the fonts.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:25 PM   #4
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
.txt files probably won't display right in any case, since they have no way of specifying encoding.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 02:31 PM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

Does the K4 support KF8 yet? If so @sriramvenkatesan you can convert the TXT to KF8 with the Tamil Fonts embedded.

Or if you don't mind reading PDFs on the K4, just open the TXT file in MS Word (or some other editor), apply the Tamil font to all of the the text, and save it as a PDF.

EDIT: If you create a PDF, I would make the document size approximately 3.4" W x 4.8" H. Otherwise the font size might be difficult to read on a Kindle. Also use a very small margin--no more than 0.1" or there will b a lot of wasted space.

Last edited by jswinden; 09-19-2012 at 04:44 PM.
Advert
Old 09-19-2012, 03:37 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@jswinden: Since FW 4.1.0, yes .
Old 09-19-2012, 11:37 PM   #7
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I believe Tamil is supported natively. These are screen captures from Kindle Touch but K4 should have the same support (and Kindle Keyboard too, with latest update). I can't read this, but it looks at least superficially the same as the text on the web page I grabbed it from (using Amazon's Send To Kindle extension for Chrome).

I think the current line up of Kindles (except for DXG) is pretty close to being 'world ready' in terms of script support. Probably does not support Klingon script, however.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2012-09-19T20_30_14-0700.gif
Views:	1005
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	92647   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2012-09-19T20_31_54-0700.gif
Views:	795
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	92648  

Last edited by tomsem; 09-19-2012 at 11:40 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:09 AM   #8
sarang
sarang began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Thanks for the useful information. The screen capture is tamil. Could you please give more information on 'Send To Kindle extension for Chrome'.

I have been reading tamil font after converting to pdf (page size set to 9cm x 12cm). If unicode font can be directly read, it will be of great help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I believe Tamil is supported natively. These are screen captures from Kindle Touch but K4 should have the same support (and Kindle Keyboard too, with latest update). I can't read this, but it looks at least superficially the same as the text on the web page I grabbed it from (using Amazon's Send To Kindle extension for Chrome).

I think the current line up of Kindles (except for DXG) is pretty close to being 'world ready' in terms of script support. Probably does not support Klingon script, however.
sarang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:59 AM   #9
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarang View Post
If unicode font can be directly read, it will be of great help.
Yes, the K4 and K5 support UTF-8 (not absolutely sure about the K3, but it probably does as well with the latest firmware).
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:02 PM   #10
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Yep, the K3 has the same unicode coverage as the K4/K5 .
Old 09-20-2012, 02:11 PM   #11
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarang View Post
Thanks for the useful information. The screen capture is tamil. Could you please give more information on 'Send To Kindle extension for Chrome'.

I have been reading tamil font after converting to pdf (page size set to 9cm x 12cm). If unicode font can be directly read, it will be of great help.
It works with the Kindle 'personal documents service'. There are also apps for mac and windows that will send files from your computer.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/sendtokindle/chrome

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200767340
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:41 AM   #12
sriramvenkatesan
sriramvenkatesan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Convert to Mobi

Hi,
Can any one help to convert the below mentioned document to Mobi Format. It contains Tamil Fonts and Calibre is not allowing to convert it. Thanks

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?8d3a393cic1dx39

It has a font called as Adhawin
sriramvenkatesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:45 AM   #13
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramvenkatesan View Post
Can any one help to convert the below mentioned document to Mobi Format. It contains Tamil Fonts and Calibre is not allowing to convert it.
Your document appears to be a Word document. To convert it to a mobi file you can try the following:

a. Convert your .doc file with Mobipocket Creator
b. Export the .doc file as a filtered .html file. open the .html file with Sigl, save it as an .epub and convert it with Kindle Previewer. or convert the .html file with Calibre.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:26 AM   #14
venkatesh20
venkatesh20 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3.2
tamil fonts garbled in K4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Yes, the K4 and K5 support UTF-8 (not absolutely sure about the K3, but it probably does as well with the latest firmware).
Hi ixtab,
I have K4 version 4.1.0, it displays the tamil text but the fonts are garbled. Any suggestions on how to fix this will be very helpful. Please see the attached screenshot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_shot-48322.gif
Views:	659
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	94197  
venkatesh20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:45 AM   #15
ahamedriffay
ahamedriffay began at the beginning.

Device: none
about yep tamil font

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramvenkatesan View Post
Hi,
I am new to this forum. Can anyone guide me on how to install Tamil Fonts on Kindle 4.1.0? I want to read some PDF and text files with Tamil Contents in it.

Thanks in Advance
Please guide me
ahamedriffay is offline   Reply With Quote