Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-07-2012, 01:49 PM   #16
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
If you liked that one, try Diary of a Nobody by George and Weedon Grossmith, a satire on Victorian middle class social climbing (keeping up with the Joneses).
Got it, thank you! Looks funny.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 01:53 PM   #17
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
The World According to Clarkson is pretty funny. It's a collection of his newspaper articles from various years.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 05:47 PM   #18
morriss003
Evangelist
morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
The Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich has some real funny parts, especially the first five books.
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 05:50 PM   #19
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
The price listing on some e-book websites.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:03 PM   #20
Dimwit
Connoisseur
Dimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterDimwit can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kobo
Try Robert Aspirin for a chuckle. He tends to go towards the punny side of things but he's good.

Don Harron's Charlie Farquharson is hysterical, but only if you're Canadian. Especially if you know Charlie's voice.
Dimwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:26 PM   #21
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
And then there is always James Thurber, who makes me cry with laughter. However there is a poignancy in much of his work - it isn't slapstick humour.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:15 PM   #22
tch65721
Evangelist
tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tch65721 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 10", Android phone
The Princess & the Penis by RJ Siver
Short story. Witty, snarky, hilarious.
tch65721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:17 AM   #23
missimpossible
Groupie
missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.missimpossible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra 2, Clara 2e, Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cearbhallain View Post
The Princess Bride is hilarious.
Absolutely this. I rarely laugh out loud at a book, but this made me properly tguffaw.

I find the Thursday Next books by Jasper Fforde pretty funny too, as well as anything by Terry Pratchett (apart from The Last Continent).
missimpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:40 AM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Any of Bill Bryson's travel books. Extremely witty.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:46 AM   #25
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
How I Won the War (1963)
by
Patrick Ryan
There are many funny books, some of them are mentioned above. But How I Won the War is the kind of books that would make you laugh loudly. In places I couldn't see the text through my tears.

A movie was made a year after the book was published, but due to nature of media the movie is quite different, even if it features the same jokes.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:55 AM   #26
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole, Aged 13¾
by
Sue Townsend

The problem is, I haven't *read* this book. I was mostly listening to a friend reading it aloud.
I took part in a special summer camp doing voluntary ecological work in a forest. In the evenings, when we grew tired of singing folk songs with a guitar around the camp-fire, we have read the book together. Many people there already knew the book so they were laughing even before we got to the funniest part of each story. In such setting it is very easy to find the book uproariously hilarious.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 02:39 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobama View Post
Hands down, the funniest book I've read is Three Men in a Boat. Not sure it fits your criteria, though. It's more of a dry, sarcastic, wordy humor than a "zinger" type humor.
I had to give up on Three Men in a Boat. I didn't find it funny. It was too dry. Kind of like opening a bottle of a dry wine and pouring out sand.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 02:49 PM   #28
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I had to give up on Three Men in a Boat. I didn't find it funny. It was too dry. Kind of like opening a bottle of a dry wine and pouring out sand.
I really enjoyed Three Men in a Boat.

I guess it is a very British kind of humour. I can see why it wouldn't appeal to everybody.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 02:53 PM   #29
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
P.G. Wodehouse probably isn't right for the OP, but has to be mentioned in any 'funniest ever' thread, surely?

Damon Runyan never fails to raise a smile with me too.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:00 PM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
I really enjoyed Three Men in a Boat.

I guess it is a very British kind of humour. I can see why it wouldn't appeal to everybody.
I do like British humor. But that book was just well.. cute at best. No real laughs.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote