Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-16-2011, 02:48 PM   #1
janicew
Enthusiast
janicew began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle Fire
Would this work for G-Apps and Market without rooting?

I got my boys Coby Kyros tablets for Christmas and have been setting them up when I have time. (This was largely due to me not wanting them to steal my KF anymore! )

Anyway, there are some apps I wanted to install for one boy (Madden NFL 12 from EA being one) that I don't think are available on the GetJar and won't work from the Amazon Marketplace for their device for some reason (says it's not compatible). I did some research on installing the Google Android Market for the Coby and found these instructions:

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/...ng-needed.html

Any thoughts on whether the same procedure would work on the KF without rooting to get the Google Market? I'm sure someone's probably tried. Heck, I'd just settle to get Google Apps working.

Thoughts?
janicew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 02:58 PM   #2
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I downloaded the zip file but haven't had the guts to try the install yet.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 03:31 PM   #3
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by janicew View Post
I got my boys Coby Kyros tablets for Christmas and have been setting them up when I have time. (This was largely due to me not wanting them to steal my KF anymore! )

Anyway, there are some apps I wanted to install for one boy (Madden NFL 12 from EA being one) that I don't think are available on the GetJar and won't work from the Amazon Marketplace for their device for some reason (says it's not compatible). I did some research on installing the Google Android Market for the Coby and found these instructions:

http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/...ng-needed.html

Any thoughts on whether the same procedure would work on the KF without rooting to get the Google Market? I'm sure someone's probably tried. Heck, I'd just settle to get Google Apps working.

Thoughts?
No it won't work on the Fire but It will work on the Coby. I installed it on the Coby that went back.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:18 PM   #4
jduck
Connoisseur
jduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it is

Device: kindle Fire
Can you use the coby to get the apps, then one of the common methods to get the apk file off the coby to install on the Fire?
jduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:29 PM   #5
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
There is a website called Android Developers that syncs their servers directly with the Android Market and every App that is available for download on the Android Market is available there as well. They list paid Apps that appear on the Android Market but I have never tried to buy one. I'm not sure you can, but because the site syncs with Google the Apps are listed.

All the FREE Apps that appear on the Android Market can be downloaded directly from Android Developers, no Mods or Android Market required. I have downloaded many Apps from here with no problem. Usually what I do is browse the Android Market and if I see an App I like I head to Android developers to download it. Sometimes newer Apps won't show up right away until after the server sync occurs.

http://androiddev.orkitra.com/download/apps/

http://androiddev.orkitra.com/?page_id=254

This is a legitimate website and the website owner has several Apps featured on the Google Android Market:

https://market.android.com/developer...ZGl0dHJhaWwiXQ
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:06 PM   #6
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by jduck View Post
Can you use the coby to get the apps, then one of the common methods to get the apk file off the coby to install on the Fire?
Yep using a program like ES File Explorer or File Expert you can back up the apk and transfer them to the Fire from the Coby.
I do this with my phone all the time. Some paid apps have DRM like EA games and such those wont work but most will.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 04:42 PM   #7
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I am now trying the last link obsessed provided and downloading a game. It does not show the KF as an available device so I just chose phone instead. It initiated but I do not see anything available on my Fire.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 02:08 AM   #8
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
The last link is to the official Google Market. You won't be able to install anything from there. Obsessed linked to apps created by Android Community's owner to show that he's running a legitimate site.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:48 AM   #9
markkenzy
Enthusiast
markkenzy began at the beginning.

Device: Nook simple touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed2 View Post
There is a website called Android Developers that syncs their servers directly with the Android Market and every App that is available for download on the Android Market is available there as well. They list paid Apps that appear on the Android Market but I have never tried to buy one. I'm not sure you can, but because the site syncs with Google the Apps are listed.

All the FREE Apps that appear on the Android Market can be downloaded directly from Android Developers, no Mods or Android Market required. I have downloaded many Apps from here with no problem. Usually what I do is browse the Android Market and if I see an App I like I head to Android developers to download it. Sometimes newer Apps won't show up right away until after the server sync occurs.

http://androiddev.orkitra.com/download/apps/

http://androiddev.orkitra.com/?page_id=254

This is a legitimate website and the website owner has several Apps featured on the Google Android Market:

https://market.android.com/developer...ZGl0dHJhaWwiXQ
Not all google android apps available here. I try to look for some foreign language apps, and it's not here
markkenzy is offline   Reply With Quote