Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-05-2011, 05:25 PM   #1
beautifulsoup
Addict
beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many ereaders.
Touch screen issues - and settings question.

Hi there.

Long story - but after three calls to customer support, I was finally able the Touch "fired up" and all that. Like I said, long story.

After that, though - (I'm asking you all these Sorry if these have been addressed in other threads - but I'm not finding them...)

My touch screen seems not so responsive in some respects. For example, when I go to Reading Life, or any other other pages that require a tap of a back arrow, the wait seems quite long for a screen change. Stranger still are any pages that have an upper right "X" to close out a page. Those have some super-long wait times. This is a matter of touch and "hold;" correct? But still....five seconds or more is what it takes. Is that about right/normal?

I've got plenty of ghosting going on in this device. I'd read that there is a way to set your page refresh. Where/how is that done? Any recommendations for how many pages between refreshes?

Thanks from a naive noob.

ETA: Urrrrgh - I'm figured out the touch screen issue: I was trying too hard, apparently. (Embarrassed).

Last edited by beautifulsoup; 07-05-2011 at 05:36 PM.
beautifulsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 05:44 PM   #2
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifulsoup View Post
Hi there.

Long story - but after three calls to customer support, I was finally able the Touch "fired up" and all that. Like I said, long story.

After that, though - (I'm asking you all these Sorry if these have been addressed in other threads - but I'm not finding them...)

My touch screen seems not so responsive in some respects. For example, when I go to Reading Life, or any other other pages that require a tap of a back arrow, the wait seems quite long for a screen change. Stranger still are any pages that have an upper right "X" to close out a page. Those have some super-long wait times. This is a matter of touch and "hold;" correct? But still....five seconds or more is what it takes. Is that about right/normal?

I've got plenty of ghosting going on in this device. I'd read that there is a way to set your page refresh. Where/how is that done? Any recommendations?

Thanks so much, from a naive noob.
Pages that have an upper right "X" only need a light tap to close the page. For the Touch, a tap and hold is only used to bring up the dictionary and highlights. To reduce ghosting, open a book, tap in the center of the book to bring up the reading menu at the bottom of the page then tap the symbol for the options menu (four stacked lines) and select Advanced Settings and change Page Refresh to 1 Page. Enjoy your new e-reader!

Regards,
Joe
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:04 PM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

If you want to refresh the current page in an ePub, just quickly tap twice in the center of the page.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:09 PM   #4
know-one
Connoisseur
know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.know-one ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kOBO
My Kobo works perfectly (at least I think) but, I soon realized that it needed a certain degree of pressure from the fingertip - which I cannot quantify in words - it's something you need to get used to. And I don't think it's a glitch - I think it was wanted this way - after all, you don't want a fly to land on your screen and delete your book.

I think that people (and I don't necesarily mean you) should use Kobo a little while before giving up.

I posted here weeks before getting one. I fairly new about Kobo but, when I got to the actual practice - I needed a period of adjustment - and now - things are ok - MY KOBO HAS PERFECTLY TRAINED ME...lol...
know-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:03 PM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

With my Sony 350 (same touchscreen technology as KT) if I accidently spill some crumbs on it while eating it will go into superfast page turning motion. The result is that you find yourself sometimes dozens of pages from where you were in the book. It is frustrating trying to figure out where you were before your snack started reading on it's own! So perhaps the KT was designed to be a bit less sensitive to touch to prevent this from happening.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:09 PM   #6
beautifulsoup
Addict
beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, everyone. You're right; the touch thing just took some getting used to; all is well now in that regard.

I'm still not sure about the ghosting thing, though - it goes from screen to screen - and function to function.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:39 PM   #7
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Thanks, everyone. You're right; the touch thing just took some getting used to; all is well now in that regard.

I'm still not sure about the ghosting thing, though - it goes from screen to screen - and function to function.
Did you set your refresh rate? Also because it is e-ink technology this is not the same as your computer or lcd screen devices. I find that if the refresh is set to 1 or two pages all is right in my world. That said its all about personal preference.

regards

jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:46 PM   #8
beautifulsoup
Addict

That's just it; I don't know how to set the refresh the rate. (Is that in the online user's guide? I'll go look).

On another note: I'm finding that the text, in general, is spotchy....very fine horizontal lines running through the text; only been really using it for about an hour now.

Last edited by beautifulsoup; 07-05-2011 at 07:49 PM. Reason: adding a few words for clarity
Old 07-05-2011, 08:18 PM   #9
Joe563
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Quote:
That's just it; I don't know how to set the refresh the rate. (Is that in the online user's guide? I'll go look).

On another note: I'm finding that the text, in general, is spotchy....very fine horizontal lines running through the text; only been really using it for about an hour now.

The lines running through the text is 'ghosting'. To set the page refresh rate to reduce ghosting see my instructions in Message #2.

Regards,
Joe
Old 07-05-2011, 09:40 PM   #10
beautifulsoup
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe563 View Post
The lines running through the text is 'ghosting'. To set the page refresh rate to reduce ghosting see my instructions in Message #2.

Regards,
Joe
Thanks! Being gone for a few hours, and messing around with it some more (no doubt, you wrote your post while I was experimenting), I did find myself tapping twice quite a bit. I've set my refresh to 2 - but looks like I might need to go to 1.

Thanks.

And why, while my reader is now on the "off" page (with the sleeping face on the black quilt back), would I be seeing a ghost of the My Reading Life still on that page?

(Jeez, some people (read: ME) are never satisfied, eh?)
Old 07-05-2011, 10:01 PM   #11
Joe563

Quote:
Thanks! Being gone for a few hours, and messing around with it some more (no doubt, you wrote your post while I was experimenting), I did find myself tapping twice quite a bit. I've set my refresh to 2 - but looks like I might need to go to 1.

Thanks.

And why, while my reader is now on the "off" page (with the sleeping face on the black quilt back), would I be seeing a ghost of the My Reading Life still on that page?

(Jeez, some people (read: ME) are never satisfied, eh?)
Changing the page refresh to 1 will reduce ghosting substantially but will not entirely eliminate it. Minor ghosting apparently is a characteristic of all e-ink readers.

Regards,
Joe
Old 07-06-2011, 08:18 AM   #12
JayB
Enthusiast
JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JayB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-950 PRS-300
Both of my Sonys will occasionally have some image retention and they refresh after every page turn.

The only time it becomes really noticeable though is if I go from a page that is a wall of text to a page that has a lot of open space on it. I've seen this same affect on Kindles at the store also.

A small price to pay for the awesomeness that is E-Ink.
JayB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:36 AM   #13
beautifulsoup
Addict

I've not noticed any ghosting on my Sony, actually. Hmmm.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:26 AM   #14
jswinden
Nameless Being

Here is a quicklist of the eInk readers I've owned at one time or another:
  • Kindle 2
  • Kindle 3
  • Kindle DX Graphite
  • Sony 505
  • Sony 300
  • Sony 900
  • Sony 350
  • Sony 950
  • Kobo Touch

ALL OF THEM have shown some degree of ghosting. This is normal and unavoidable with eInk technology.