Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 01-11-2011, 01:43 PM   #1
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
Other author reviews

So in the past I have noticed that some books have a little blurb from some other author ie something like "I loved it!" insert author name and a book here

I would like to get one or two, or a more of those for my ebook! How do you go about it? Just send off query letters?

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 01:51 PM   #2
bobavey
Bob Avey
bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
That's the way I did it for my paperbacks, which are now kindle and nook books.
bobavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 03:55 PM   #3
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Getting reviews from other authors and putting them on your book is good if they have some clout behind their name. If they're some nobody, then it won't get anyone. Although, there are some gullible types that could see those reviews, and not bother to check it out. They'll see that the reviews are positive, and then buy it on impulse. I'd rather get both the impulse buyers and the research before buyers, but if I only get the impulsers, that's better than a kick in the pants.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 05:03 AM   #4
James_Wilde
Guru
James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.James_Wilde ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iriver Story
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassanik View Post
So in the past I have noticed that some books have a little blurb from some other author ie something like "I loved it!" insert author name and a book here

I would like to get one or two, or a more of those for my ebook! How do you go about it? Just send off query letters?

Amy
Hell, no, Amy! Imagine if you sent your masterpiece to your favourite author(ess) and got an email back saying "Don't give up your daytime job"! You'd never buy another book by that author.

Thank goodness Jane Austen i dead, or I might have sent mine to her. I think she'd have liked it...but I don't know whether I'd risk it.

James_Wilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:42 AM   #5
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
braved it

Well I braved it, and sent off a couple of query letters today. We shall see if I get hate mail, I mean responses, back.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 07:57 AM   #6
kcmay
Addict
kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2
I sent such a query letter to Piers Anthony when my first book (TKL) was about to come out. He said he couldn't read it at that time, but if I were to ping him in December, he might be able to. So I did. And he said yes! He read it and had some constructive feedback for me. Then he wrote a few sentences for me to use or not. He even posted about it on his blog. How cool is that, right?
kcmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:51 AM   #7
bthrowsnaill
Dreamer
bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bthrowsnaill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Thanks for sharing that, KCMay. I had noticed that you got that blurb from Piers Anthony about your book, and I think that is very impressive. You are officially "on the map"!
bthrowsnaill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:19 AM   #8
joycedb
Guru
joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I know I'm a dinosaur now. Can anyone explain the word "ping?"

Joyce
joycedb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:37 AM   #9
HealyHQ
Friend of a Friend
HealyHQ is on a distinguished road

Device: iPad
Smile Ping is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joycedb View Post
I know I'm a dinosaur now. Can anyone explain the word "ping?"

Joyce
They used the word incorrectly actually.

Ping is a utility used by network administrators to test the reachability of a host on an Internet Protocol (IP) network and to measure the round-trip time for messages sent from the originating host to a destination computer.

Basically, think of it as what bats and dolphins use: echo location. It tells them how far away something is depending on how long it takes the sound to bounce back, right? SysAdmins use it to determine how long it takes a data packet to go from a computer, across a network to another computer (or server) and then come back again. It's used mostly for maintenance purposes.

The way KCMay was using it was just like a, "Get back to me in December and I might be able to check it out for ya."

Hope my explanation makes sense.
HealyHQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 11:58 AM   #10
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You are correct in the fact that the term "ping" was created by scientists to describe the act of echo location used by certain mammals and insects. It has since been adopted into a wide variety of other areas and occupations to describe similar acts of "sending out a query in anticipation of a reply".

Last edited by Steven Lake; 01-14-2011 at 12:00 PM.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:13 PM   #11
HealyHQ
Friend of a Friend
HealyHQ is on a distinguished road

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lake View Post
"sending out a query in anticipation of a reply".
Ahh, I see! And it is very much like the way computers ping across a network: one sends out a packet, and then waits for the other computer to send it back. Here is the same, only with people and their queries instead of computers with their data.
HealyHQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 03:02 PM   #12
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author

Correct!
Old 01-15-2011, 11:07 AM   #13
joycedb
Guru
joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Okay, guys, I think I understand it now even though I'm woefully ignorant about so much of today's technology. Thanks for the explanation.

Joyce
joycedb is offline   Reply With Quote