Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 11-11-2007, 02:37 PM   #1
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Any non-leather covers?

I'm tempted by what I've read about the Gen3, but I'd prefer not to have a reader with a leather cover .
As a cover is really a necessity for any reading device; does anyone know if there are any non-leather options for the Gen 3?
Many thanks.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 04:16 PM   #2
lindemaximilian
lindemaximilian began at the beginning.

Device: cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
I'm tempted by what I've read about the Gen3, but I'd prefer not to have a reader with a leather cover .
As a cover is really a necessity for any reading device; does anyone know if there are any non-leather options for the Gen 3?
Go here For the Gen3 they say "coming soon"
lindemaximilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 09:33 PM   #3
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Many people have been able to find less expensive (and leather-free) options for reader covers for different devices. I got an inexpensive day planner and removed the notebook part, and my iLiad fits inside nearly perfectly. This is easier to do after you have the device, because you can take it to the store and try it out, but you could make a mock-up of cardboard based on the published dimensions. At least the Bookeen devices are square.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 06:44 PM   #4
tobyb
tobyb began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
The leather cover really does make the Cybook lovely to hold (sorry that's the best adjective I could think of!).

It has great built quality, and good padding on both sides (thicker on the front to protect screen I guess).

However, it's a bit difficult to just hold with one hand and also page turn with the same hand. This is because I find the front cover bends back when held with the right hand (whilst still having fingers over directional buttons to page turn). If you hold with the left hand, you can comfortably hold the device and manage the cover, but your left hand can't reach the buttons to page turn!!

Solution? Cybook needs to have buttons on the left hand side also! Or the cover on the other side...
tobyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 02:32 PM   #5
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the replies.
My resistance finally crumbled and I've ordered a Cybook

Hopefully I'll be able to find a suitable cover for it once its arrived.
Old 11-17-2007, 06:57 PM   #6
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A Sony cover might fit -- how close in size are the two units? (I'm too lazy to check.)
Old 11-17-2007, 07:40 PM   #7
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
In a comment on their blog Bookeen says: "Concerning the cover, we will soon propose a new cover as a separate accessory with a different design. In this new design, the navigation button will be much more accessible."
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 04:32 PM   #8
IreneDelse
Groupie
IreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enoughIreneDelse will become famous soon enough

Device: Bookeen Cybook Gen3 & Opus
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
In a comment on their blog Bookeen says: "Concerning the cover, we will soon propose a new cover as a separate accessory with a different design. In this new design, the navigation button will be much more accessible."
IMO, Bookeen should consider offering a simple, non-leather, non expensive transport sleeve for the reader and include it in the basic Cybook Gen3 pack...

A protection of some kind is really necessary, but having to pay 40 € for it effectively raises the price of the Cybook by roughly 10%.
IreneDelse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 05:35 PM   #9
novainvictus
Junior
novainvictus began at the beginning.

Device: Loox C550, Cybook soon...
Unhappy

The m-edge cover for the cybook is now available.
Link: here
but its very expensive...
novainvictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 05:05 PM   #10
foo
foo began at the beginning.

Device: None
My plan is to be a bit creative; I'll retrofit some old (hardcover) book to serve as protection.
foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 05:44 AM   #11
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
With a bit of cutting the Cybook fits in a DVD cover
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 05:44 PM   #12
Paulius
Paulius began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen 3, Nokia 770
Bah, I ordered mine with the leather cover. It's a nice cover, and spending $40 for a cover for a $350 device isn't too far-fetched in my book.

Remember. Leather is the only material which gets nicer with time.
Paulius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 04:10 AM   #13
Sparrow
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulius View Post
Bah, I ordered mine with the leather cover. It's a nice cover, and spending $40 for a cover for a $350 device isn't too far-fetched in my book.
I'm a veggie; don't want to see some poor creature's skin covering my eReader!
Not conducive to a relaxed reading experience
Old 12-09-2007, 08:50 AM   #14
Paulius
Paulius began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen 3, Nokia 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
I'm a veggie; don't want to see some poor creature's skin covering my eReader!
Not conducive to a relaxed reading experience
Well, that's certainly one way to look at it.
In my mind, leather doesn't show me a clear connection to a poor animal. But I guess that that's the reason for which I'm not a vegetarian.
Paulius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 08:59 AM   #15
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulius View Post
So does hemp cloth, actually. (And some might say wood, though it might not be as appropriate for this use.)

I'm a vegetarian as well and I don't buy leather products for that reason. I don't expect others to be vegetarians or to avoid leather, but it's nice to have choices.