Old 06-07-2018, 10:38 AM   #1
Toj
Toj began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Kindle Custom font update 5.9.6

Hey Guys,

just question regarding converting any type to .mobi

since now kindle support custom fonts.

what would be the best settings to use to convert files to .mobi.

other mobi files i have currently says it doesnt support the custom font.

any light or help?

Thanks.
Toj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 11:07 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Convert to azw3 not mobi. And depending on the firmware version on your kindle to actually see the embedded fonts you might need to toggle a setting named "Use publisher fonts" or similar.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2018, 12:05 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toj View Post
Hey Guys,

just question regarding converting any type to .mobi

since now kindle support custom fonts.

what would be the best settings to use to convert files to .mobi.

other mobi files i have currently says it doesnt support the custom font.

any light or help?

Thanks.
So far the reports on using the ability in Kindle firmware 5.9.6 to sideload fonts have had mixed reports. Some fonts work for KFX, others for KFX and AZW3 while mobi support seems extremely spotty.

I'd suggest converting to AZW3 instead of mobi and see if that allows you to select your sideloaded font.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 02:33 PM   #4
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
The sideloaded fonts feature in the new kindle firmware is working well for me. Since I no longer need to have my favorite font embedded in each book, I would like to remove them to decrease the size of the files. I know I can remove the embedded fonts individually from books by using the Edit Book tool... does anyone know of a way to bulk remove embedded fonts from my whole library? Thanks for any suggestions!
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 08:50 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
I know I can remove the embedded fonts individually from books does anyone know of a way to bulk remove embedded fonts from my whole library? Thanks for any suggestions!
The Modify plugin has an option to remove embedded fonts from EPUBs, you can run Modify on multiple books.

I haven't used that option specifically, might be an idea to try it on a handful of books before unleashing it on your entire library.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2018, 09:22 PM   #6
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
The Modify plugin has an option to remove embedded fonts from EPUBs, you can run Modify on multiple books.

I haven't used that option specifically, might be an idea to try it on a handful of books before unleashing it on your entire library.

BR
Thanks for the suggestion!...unfortunately my entire library is AZW3 (grrrrr). Oh well, looks like one at a time. At least I'm in no hurry
Old 06-07-2018, 10:25 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Bummer

Maybe Kovid would be interested in adding a remove embedded fonts to the Polish tool, given it has an embed referenced fonts option. It overlaps Modify and it works on AZW3.

BR
Old 06-07-2018, 10:56 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Bummer

Maybe Kovid would be interested in adding a remove embedded fonts to the Polish tool, given it has an embed referenced fonts option. It overlaps Modify and it works on AZW3.

BR

I would suggest that such a tool have an filter, so that it only removes LISTED (configuration) fonts, and leaves any others alone (typ display fonts)

Many of my books have fun dropcap or title fonts. I do not want those gone

OTOH get rid of Charis , I see no advantage over the devices fonts
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 11:00 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Polish only has non-destructive operations. Removing embedded fonts does not qualify.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 02:27 AM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Polish only has non-destructive operations. Removing embedded fonts does not qualify.
@GoSharks - maybe someone would be interested in making Modify work on AZW3. Suggestion: you could pop the question in the plugin's thread and/or the Plugin ideas sticky.

BR
Old 06-08-2018, 02:32 AM   #11
Toj
Toj began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Convert to azw3 not mobi. And depending on the firmware version on your kindle to actually see the embedded fonts you might need to toggle a setting named "Use publisher fonts" or similar.
Thanks Kovid. that did the trick.

thanks y'all.
Toj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 10:18 AM   #12
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!

Quote:
@GoSharks - maybe someone would be interested in making Modify work on AZW3. Suggestion: you could pop the question in the plugin's thread and/or the Plugin ideas sticky.

BR
@BetterRed-
Great idea...done. Thanks!