Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Server

Notices

Old 02-13-2024, 08:46 PM   #1
culytera
Zealot
culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Inaccessible OPDS since Router Change and Network Reconfiguration

Hello, I'm trying to access the OPDS from my phone with the MapleRead app via Bonjour however it's no longer getting detected. This used to work before our router got replaced. I had to reconfigure the network and return the same setup I used on my laptop. The same static IP address on ethernet, same subnet mask, same gateway.

The few differences are this network uses Band Steering by default and CGNAT was brought back (which shouldn't be an issue I think, though I'm trying to get it removed again). My phone and laptop are still on the same network so in theory the OPDS should be detectable on my phone. At the moment, I can only access the server through the browser on my laptop.

- I've tried reinstalling Bonjour (by reinstalling iTunes)
- Downgraded Calibre, reinstalled the latest version of Calibre
- Checked Firewall entries if there's anything missing (there shouldn't be since I reinstalled them)
- Changed the default port used by Calibre
- Changed the interface to "0.0.0.0" for only IPv4 connections instead of IPv6 + IPv4
- "Activate OPDS feeds via Bonjour" is on as it always was
- Changed the static IP address for my laptop, didn't detect the OPDS
- Let my router assign an IP address for my laptop, still didn't detect it
- EDIT: I've also now reset network settings, still didn't get detected

Did I forget to change any setting? Was CGNAT the issue all along because I don't remember having that problem back when our network had it but I could be misremembering.

Error log
Code:
calibre server listening on [::]:80xx
OPDS feeds advertised via BonJour at: 192.168.1.xx port: 80xx
Access log I think from when I accessed the server from my laptop
Code:
::1 port-57341 - 14/Feb/2024:09:37:41 +0800 "" 408 129
::1 port-57350 - 14/Feb/2024:09:37:41 +0800 "" 408 129

Last edited by culytera; 02-14-2024 at 02:40 AM. Reason: Made steps taken to try to fix the issue more readable
culytera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 02:45 AM   #2
culytera
Zealot
culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Made some progress. Turned off Band Steering and now my laptop and phone are able to connect to each other on MapleRead but only on WiFi. When I connect via ethernet MapleRead isn't able to detect the OPDS via Bonjour. I removed the static IP address on my ethernet's settings but still nothing. Next I set a static IP address on my wireless network settings and OPDS was detected.

So it seems to be an ethernet issue, I don't understand why it won't work only on ethernet now when it used to work before. Am I missing something?
Advert
Old 02-14-2024, 09:34 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
WiFi is a version of Ethernet 802,3

Routers sometimes block peer WiFi connections as default security.
Is the Host also WiFi ? Can it support (and use) a CAT 5 cable connection?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 05:32 PM   #4
culytera
Zealot

The host is my laptop. I have a CAT6 cable connected to it. When the host is connected to WiFi, the OPDS is detectable on my phone. So the OPDS isn’t detectable only when the host is on a wired connection. I noticed a firewall level setting on my router which was on high by default so I set it to low (then rebooted the router), but it didn’t fix the issue. I’ll test medium level later. The router is a ZTE F670L. I saw a reddit post with a similar issue due to the router but no one had a solution either.
Old 02-14-2024, 05:53 PM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by culytera View Post
The host is my laptop. I have a CAT6 cable connected to it. When the host is connected to WiFi, the OPDS is detectable on my phone. So the OPDS isn’t detectable only when the host is on a wired connection. I noticed a firewall level setting on my router which was on high by default so I set it to low (then rebooted the router), but it didn’t fix the issue. I’ll test medium level later. The router is a ZTE F670L. I saw a reddit post with a similar issue due to the router but no one had a solution either.
It is amazingly difficult to find an on-line manual for this device.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2024, 06:40 PM   #6
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
https://www.howtogeek.com/867942/wha...r-bridge-mode/
How to Enable Bridge Mode in ZTE F670L
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR5Mb8FmAsY

bernie

Quote:

gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 09:22 PM   #7
culytera
Zealot

Tested the medium level for the firewall setting, nothing changed. Really seems to be a LAN <-> WLAN isolation issue.

If I go the bridge mode route, I want to get a third party router that has decent coverage and get a UPS for it since my area frequently gets power interruptions. Right now I only have a TP-Link Archer C24, so bridge mode will be my last resort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
It is amazingly difficult to find an on-line manual for this device.
LAN connection says it's the 5GHz one and my phone is also connected to the 5GHz band.

From those posts, it looks like they haven't found a solution either. I don't see a LAN isolation or similar option on the admin page, only an SSID isolation option and it's off by default on both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz SSIDs. The interface is also different compared to the picture on the second link.

For now I'll just connect my laptop to WLAN as well when I need to access the OPDS.

The only manual I found has a different interface.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ZTE F670.pdf (2.32 MB, 43 views)
Old 02-14-2024, 09:27 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
Was this router supplied by the ISP? Then bridge mode is not wanted.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 09:36 PM   #9
culytera
Zealot

Yes the router is supplied by the ISP. I haven't tried disabling the firewall setting due to security concerns but I do wonder if that would make it work.
Old 02-15-2024, 12:38 AM   #10
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Under setting for the wireless look for a setting called AP isolation or Network bridged.

This is why I prefer separate modem and router, with the router running an open source OS.

bernie
Quote:
Yes the router is supplied by the ISP. I haven't tried disabling the firewall setting due to security concerns but I do wonder if that would make it work.
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 12:42 AM   #11
culytera
Zealot

As I've said
Quote:
I don't see a LAN isolation or similar option on the admin page, only an SSID isolation option and it's off by default on both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz SSIDs.
Unfortunately it's a router issue. Until I can use a third party one, I'll just have to live it.
Old 02-15-2024, 04:50 AM   #12
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
You can just disable the router's WiFi and setup something else to do WIFi on the LAN.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 05:07 AM   #13
culytera
Zealot

You mean like another router? So basically
Quote:
I want to get a third party router that has decent coverage and get a UPS for it since my area frequently gets power interruptions. Right now I only have a TP-Link Archer C24
minus the bridge mode. It's fine, I'm the only one in the household inconvenienced by this and I can just connect my laptop to the WiFi for when I need to access the OPDS from my phone.
Old 02-15-2024, 05:53 AM   #14
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:

minus the bridge mode. It's fine, I'm the only one in the household inconvenienced by this and I can just connect my laptop to the WiFi for when I need to access the OPDS from my phone.
If you use a 2nd router as WiFi the most important things are:
1) Disable the DHCP server on it
2) Have it have a static IP that is on same subnet and is unique and excluded from DHCP on the "real router".
3) Don't use any WAN eithernet port or DSL phone port or POTS port for handsets. Only use the LAN ports (usually 3 or 4).

It's a safer thing to share a USB stick or USB HDD if it has such a USB host port (some are only for Mobile modem) than the main router.

Connect it direct to a PC/Laptop (or even tablet via USB OTG adaptor and USB ethernet) to configure via the browser before plugging into your LAN because:
1) Two DHCP servers on same subnet creates problems.
2) It might have the same default IP, or if not it might be on a different subnet and inaccessible on the LAN.

We have an old DLink in one bedroom that adds 3 local LAN ports for his stuff and his own WiFi. It happens to have OpenWRT installed, but the stock firmware would work.

If local WiFi channels are not too congested you can keep the original as a higher speed for laptops & high powered tablets and the fresh one would be adequate even at 54Mbps for an ereader or a phone.

No need to connect the laptop to WiFi. The extra router after configuration plugs into the LAN.

Note WiFi usually uses three channels for higher speed and highest speed uses all of them.

Last edited by Quoth; 02-15-2024 at 05:55 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 06:00 AM   #15
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:

I put the ISP's router into bridge mode, then added a 4-node mesh router that handles cable and wifi. The mesh deals with DHCP, NAT, DNS, and the like. The ISP box is acting like a cable modem.

In this setup, the mesh "master" is connected from its WAN port to an ethernet port on the ISP box. The mesh LAN ports are used for cabled connections via a few GB ethernet switches. The mesh subnodes are connected to the master via cable.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote