Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Server

Notices

Old 12-17-2023, 04:34 PM   #1
eyl
eyl began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy S2
Content server requires authentication

I recently updated to Calibre 7.2 (although the issue may have existed earlier, I haven't tried conencting tot he server in a while). Whenever I try to conenct to the Content Server, it requests authentication (regardless of whether I do it through my home network or on the browser on the same computer). I tried to set up a user account but that did not help.
eyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2023, 09:28 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The content server requires authentication if you have configured it to require authentication. If you dont need authentication, turn it off in the server settings.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2023, 12:10 PM   #3
eyl

Where do I do that? The only think I can find which seems relevant is the Main tab in the "Sharing over the net" window in settings, but the "Require username and password" checkbox is clear. Nevertheless it's askng for authentication.
Old 12-19-2023, 09:19 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Then the request is not coming from the calibre server, do you have it running behind a proxy of some kind? Look at the server logs.
Old 12-20-2023, 12:53 PM   #5
eyl

The only thing I see being added to the log when Calibre comes up are the following lines:

calibre server listening on [::]:8080
OPDS feeds advertised via BonJour at: 10.100.102.34 port: 8080

I've tried disabling the firewall and Malwarebytes, but neither help.
Advert
Old 12-20-2023, 09:44 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

No idea then.
Old 01-06-2024, 07:48 AM   #7
eyl

I seem to have figured out the issue, posting info here in case someone else encounters it.

Apparently, another application was using the same port. To identify it, I opened the command prompt and then typed:

netstat -p tcp -ano

Looking at the local address column, I identified a different process using the same IP and port. I copied the PID and then looked it up in task manager to identify the application.

In my case, it was wmime.exe - I haven't determined yet what it's part of. So instead, I opened the calibre preferences and changed the server port to 8079, which resolved the issue.
Old 01-07-2024, 03:58 AM   #8
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Hmmm.... I would suggest removing wmime.exe if you have the rights to do so. The most popular program I've seen using that filename was part of a parental control package (HTPC??) and a print monitor program from Brother.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 01:30 PM   #9
Hschwickart
Calibre Fan
Hschwickart began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Book Touch Lux 5
Exclamation Calibre bites own tail (same port)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyl View Post
I seem to have figured out the issue,....
Surprisingly Calibre itself may cause the problem.
If the Wireless access module uses the same port as the server it causes a lot of problems when trying to access the server. It also happened, that even with a different port number problems arise, when both WiFi and Server are enabled (Moonreader has problems with the opds option in Web library).
Hschwickart is offline   Reply With Quote