Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-03-2008, 07:00 AM   #1
tommy still
Connoisseur
tommy still doesn't littertommy still doesn't litter

Device: iPhone and Sony PRS 505
So which one would you keep

Still looking at eBook readers, I am waiting for the rumoured UK launch of the Sony PRS 505 in April. Its either going to be the Sony or a Cybook Gen 3. What I wanted to know was, out of those of you that own both those devices which reader would you keep if you had to get rid of one ?
tommy still is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 07:23 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I do like the Sony reader 505. Libprs500 and Book Designer both work quite nicely to convert content.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2008, 09:01 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
As a former Sony owner, and a current CyBook owner I am very happy with my choice. Not only is there a greater range of content legally available for the CyBook, but it also has significantly more features than the Sony - dictionary support, the ability to load your own fonts onto it, the ability to view any book using any font at any size, etc.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 03:42 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What we really need is a device that takes the best of the 505 and Gen3 and adds in what is missing from both and gives us one really superduper device.
Old 02-16-2008, 02:46 AM   #5
edsohsmith
Connoisseur
edsohsmith began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505 (soon)
If drm'd mobipocket content and dictionary support are important to you the Cybook. If form factor (looks, button placement) and breadth / ease of conversion tools are more important to you, then the Sony.
edsohsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2008, 05:07 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsohsmith View Post
If drm'd mobipocket content and dictionary support are important to you the Cybook. If form factor (looks, button placement) and breadth / ease of conversion tools are more important to you, then the Sony.
There are some excellent conversion tools available for the CyBook. Can you elaborate about in what way you feel that the Sony ones are better? What formats can be converted to the Sony that can't be converted to the Gen3?
Old 02-16-2008, 06:48 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Well, we now have the first version of Mobi2lrf.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:20 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Well, we now have the first version of Mobi2lrf.
That's true, but it's not really a benefit of the Sony over the CyBook, is it? After all, the CyBook can use the Mobi file directly!

Also, are there that many DRM-free Mobi files around that aren't available for the Sony?
Old 02-18-2008, 06:49 AM   #9
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Dictionary support would have swung it for me, if not for reading day after day on Cybook subforum about faulty cybooks and bad customer service. I'm waiting for Bookeen to iron out their problems then I will buy one. Though the way it seems to be going it will probably be Cybook Gen4.
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 08:50 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple dave View Post
Dictionary support would have swung it for me, if not for reading day after day on Cybook subforum about faulty cybooks and bad customer service. I'm waiting for Bookeen to iron out their problems then I will buy one. Though the way it seems to be going it will probably be Cybook Gen4.
Don't forget, though, that it's always the minority with problems who (naturally) are vocal. Bookeen are shipping 2000-3000 Gen3's a month. How many faulty machines have we heard about here? A handful? It's unfortunate for the people who have them; that's obviously true, but I don't think that one can generalise and say that the Gen3 has any reliability issues beyond the norm.

Poor customer service appears to be the norm for small companies, regretably, and even the big boys such as Sony seem to fall down in that department on fairly frequent occasions. Yes, it certainly needs to be improved!

I'd recommend the Gen3 to you without hesitation, Dave.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:03 AM   #11
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
I've only read of a few truly faulty Gen3s. Most of the questions I see have to do with buggy software and there are ways to work around that stuff.

I am very satisfied with my Gen3 and have no regrets.
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 02:34 PM   #12
Dave Berk
Fanatic
Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.Dave Berk can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PRS505
Thanks, HarryT, ProfJulie.
Just one last question. I remember reading that the support for links in html files is only for links in the same page, and that links to other pages don't work. Is that correct?
What I mean is, I have a few books I converted to html. Now I usualy put each chapter in a seperate html file and creat a Table of Content in another file. Will I be able to read such a book in the Cybook?
Dave Berk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 06:00 PM   #13
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi

No: as html files, each file is as “a document” for the Cybook, so just internal “jumps” (inside the file ones).

What you can do is generate a Mobipocket file with Mobipocket Creator from all your html files, and then create a TOC with all the navigation you need.
Once more, one file with internal “jumps”.

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 02:41 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Yes, with Mobi Creator this is very easy to do.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:39 AM   #15
Lexicon
Enthusiast
Lexicon will become famous soon enoughLexicon will become famous soon enoughLexicon will become famous soon enoughLexicon will become famous soon enoughLexicon will become famous soon enoughLexicon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
I've only used the Sony 505 so I can't really comment on the Gen3. One thing I will say is that the 505 feels really solid, it has that 'well-engineered' quality you'd expect from expensive Sony products. I feel this is important in a portable device that will, in most cases, receive a lot of use.

One of the things that put me off buying a Gen3 (other than the higher price) is the plastic body, I'm not sure how well this will stand up to years of wear and tear.
Lexicon is offline   Reply With Quote