Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Server

Notices

Old 03-14-2024, 10:44 PM   #1
WingedPromise
WingedPromise began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Exclamation Server Unreachable?

There will be a TLDR at the bottom if you want to skip my desperate ramblings.

Hi all. I have searched these forums and found similar issues but ultimately nothing that seems to line up with what I'm facing now. I've read the user manual cover to cover dozens of times at this point, I've youtube'd and reddit'd and finally remembered this forum existed, so here I am - pleading for advice and/or assistance.

For reference, I am running Calibre 7.7 (was 7.6 until today, I always update ASAP) on a windows laptop with generally solid wifi connectivity from our Fibre Optic connection. The only reason I am not keeping this computer hard wired in is that I simply move it around the house too much, and the WiFi is typically strong enough I don't need to. I use Calibre's content server to access my library on my phone or tablet when I am away from home. There has never been a hitch until this issue. The content server runs perfectly from the laptop it is hosted on. But it will not run on any other device, whether it is on the same network or not.

I can NOT get my content server to work, and I feel like I've tried everything!

Which is odd, because literally 7-10 (roughly) days ago, it was working seamlessly, and had been for quite honestly years, without a hitch.

I believe the problem started when my WiFi went on the fritz - that's when I noticed it anyways. Makes sense - PC is not connected to the internet, ergo server is unreachable. Fine. I got my internet provider on the phone, they confirmed that my router was out of date, which could be causing the fritzing. They updated it and performed a factory reset. Cool. My WiFi works perfectly again!

But ... Calibre Content Server does not; unless I am accessing it through the browser on the computer that houses my Calibre Library. Which for me, defeats the purpose. On any other device (android, apple, PC) on any other browser (chrome, edge, safari, firefox) it simply says "This site can't be reached. (IP Address here) took too long to respond. Try checking the connection." or "Error: Connection Timed Out.".

I did go back into my router configuration panel and set up port forwarding again, exactly as I had done before. I even took a screenshot of the settings before the tech performed the reset, so I know for certain it is set up the same way. Port forwarding went off without a hitch. Due to it not working, I attempted to forward to different ports, all with no success. I have thus far tried 8080 (Calibre default), 8585, and 7575.

My external IP address (which I have always used to access the content server) did not change.

I thought perhaps it was a setting gone wrong in Calibre, so I did a complete uninstall and clean reinstall (which really sucked to lose my settings) - but it did not make a difference. Still no Content Server access outside of this computer.

Thankfully I had done a backup of my calibre libraries, so I returned it to it's normal state while I continued to play with it.

I even had the opportunity to upgrade my laptop over this past weekend, so I thought great, maybe a TOTALLY fresh install would help. No bueno.

I ended up simply importing my backups onto the new laptop just so I still have it and can use it with my Kindle.

I did discover in all of this that my husband's gaming PC and his laptop also share the same external IP address as my laptop, but from what we can tell, that has always been the case?

Literally every other aspect of Calibre is seamlessly running perfectly - except this dang content server and I can't figure out why. It is entirely possible there is the tiniest setting I have overlooked, and so I plead for advice if anyone has some to share.

-----------------------------------------------

TLDR: Calibre Content Server No Longer Working After Router Reset & Update

Things I have tried to no avail:
  • Reading User Manual
  • Searching the internet (youtube, reddit, here, google, etc)
  • Ports are forwarded correctly as they were before the reset & update
  • Another reset of the router
  • Forwarding Calibre through different ports (8080, 8585, 7575)
  • Firewall settings allow Calibre as they did before - settings are identical
  • Attempted uninstall and clean install
  • Started fresh on a brand new computer

Situations in which Calibre Content Server Works Currently:
  • In any browser on the same device the library is hosted on, on the home WiFi network.

Situations in which Calibre Content Server Won't Work:
  • In any browser on any device other than the laptop that houses Calibre on the home WiFi network
  • In any browser on any device other than the laptop that houses Calibre not on the home WiFi network
  • Literally anything other than the same device the library is hosted on
WingedPromise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 11:35 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
WiFi in the picture (especially for the Library PC. Use a Wired connection if possible) can make things more difficult.

WiFi band connection shifts (1 is an 5GHz the other 2.5GHz)

Windows Updates in the background (Mine typically show up on Tuesdays)

Your ISP supplied router got an update (I used to log into it and make the desired settings...now I have to use an app on my phone )

Your Security suite (if not defender) got updated (1 or more times a day.. depending on plan)

FWIW Local works for me just fine (not using httpS) W10 Calibre 7.7
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 08:40 PM   #3
WingedPromise
WingedPromise began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I've never had a problem on wifi for the content server before, in years. But for sake of argument, I tried with a wired connection today. Still no change.

We only have 5GHz, as we have turned off the 2.4GHz 2+ years ago - it never affected anything to do with my Content Server.

Yes, my ISP supplied router got an update, as I stated.

My Security suite updates regularly, and always has. I doubt that is the problem as I have not had any issues with Calibre Content Server until this issue, and my security setup has not changed in longer than I've had Calibre. It updates regularly and has never impacted Calibre Content Server. However, to be clear, I did ensure Calibre is still allowed through the firewall - that setting is the same as it always has been when Calibre Content Server worked before.

Yes, local works fine... but I don't WANT local, I want to be able to access my Calibre Content Server on a different device (phone, tablet, other PC) when I am NOT on my home network.
WingedPromise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 08:50 PM   #4
Comfy.n
want to learn what I want
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre E-book viewer
One thing I would try is DMZ'ing the content server port on the router. They usually have this setting: https://superuser.com/questions/1757...ireless-router

Though I've never needed external access, and haven't tested that.
Comfy.n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 09:08 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedPromise View Post
Yes, local works fine... but I don't WANT local, I want to be able to access my Calibre Content Server on a different device (phone, tablet, other PC) when I am NOT on my home network.
Have you reconfigured port forwarding to allow the port used by calibre to be accessed from outside your local network. It's very rare to have a home network that uses routable IP addresses.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 08:17 PM   #6
LazyGirl
LazyGirl began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
I'm having the same issue. I can only access the content server on the device which is running calibre (desktop PC), using the address provided in the user manual for this purpose (http://127.0.0.1:8080 - I have no clue if these numbers are unique to me or the same for all users).

Previously I've been able to access the content server from other devices on my home network. (My ISP doesn't allow port-forwarding so I have no experience connecting from a different network.)

Now, when I try to access the server from a different device on the same network (android phone), by using the IP address listed by the "stop content server" button, I get ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT messages.

The IP address that is populated in the user manual has a different host ID, and trying that one results in the message ERR_ADDRESS_UNREACHABLE.

Not sure if this matters or not, but clicking "Visit Content Server in browser" under the "Connect/Share" button no longer links to http://127.0.0.1:8080/ but instead http://[::1]:8080/. It appears to work the same.

In case it isn't obvious, I know very little about this but I can follow directions.
LazyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 02:49 PM   #7
jmurphy
Connoisseur
jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipaq
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyGirl View Post
I'm having the same issue. I can only access the content server on the device which is running calibre (desktop PC), using the address provided in the user manual for this purpose (http://127.0.0.1:8080 - I have no clue if these numbers are unique to me or the same for all users).

Previously I've been able to access the content server from other devices on my home network. (My ISP doesn't allow port-forwarding so I have no experience connecting from a different network.)

Now, when I try to access the server from a different device on the same network (android phone), by using the IP address listed by the "stop content server" button, I get ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT messages.

The IP address that is populated in the user manual has a different host ID, and trying that one results in the message ERR_ADDRESS_UNREACHABLE.

Not sure if this matters or not, but clicking "Visit Content Server in browser" under the "Connect/Share" button no longer links to http://127.0.0.1:8080/ but instead http://[::1]:8080/. It appears to work the same.

In case it isn't obvious, I know very little about this but I can follow directions.
You need to use the address that shows up in "stop content server", 127.0.0.1 is only valid on the local device.

Try browsing using the network name of your pc instead of the address. If you don't know the name, log in to the PC, open a command prompt and type 'ping -a 127.0.0.1' The response will have the network name of the pc in the first line. Then from another device, browse to HTTP://PCNAME:8080
jmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote