Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Server

Notices

Old 02-15-2024, 07:35 AM   #16
culytera
Zealot
culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
I'll keep it all in mind for when I can afford to get a better setup going. Our ISP is quite strict so I'll have to check first my options. But right now, the easiest thing to do is to just connect my laptop to WiFi (while keeping the wired connection), because I don't need my Calibre server accessible 24/7. MapleRead is able to detect it via Bonjour no problem despite my laptop having both a wired and wireless connection.
culytera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 07:52 AM   #17
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
The handy thing about adding a 2nd box purely configured for LAN and WiFi is that it's nothing to do with your ISP and needs no changes to ISP box, or just the sort of changes allowed (WiFi and DHCP range, but it can be done with no changes).
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 08:07 AM   #18
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
I put the ISP's router into bridge mode.
Some don't have that setting, some can't be configured to be modems only

I do actually have a 3rd router, configured as only switch, Wifi and Fileshare. Router feature is disabled releasing 4th ethernet port. It and the main router, that's a router + Switch + WiFi only (though it has an unused DSL modem) connects to a fibre modem, but I did also have a cable modem+router+wifi combo till last November. I disabled its DHCP (no bridge mode) and set a route on the router for fibre to use it as gateway if fibre failed, which amazingly it did in October.

Anyway the two ethernet routers (the cable system is gone) support "Mesh mode" and auto band. One has router & DHCP off. So the four possible WiFi points (2 bands on two boxes) have a single shared SSID & password. The box set as router controls & feeds the other box by 1Gbps LAN. WiFi clients automatically get the best connection.
The old "bedroom" box on the LAN has a separate WiFi SSID and isn't part of the Mesh system.

The important thing is only one DHCP server enabled and every WiFi point box having a unique static IP on the same subnet.
Old 02-15-2024, 10:13 AM   #19
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by culytera View Post
You mean like another router? So basically

minus the bridge mode. It's fine, I'm the only one in the household inconvenienced by this and I can just connect my laptop to the WiFi for when I need to access the OPDS from my phone.
Access Point is just the WiFi unit. These are what Large buildings use.
Many just look like big smoke alarms

Some have DHCP (which needs to be disabled. Like Highlander, there ca only be ONE on a network )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 10:35 AM   #20
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Access Point is just the WiFi unit. These are what Large buildings use.
Many just look like big smoke alarms

Some have DHCP (which needs to be disabled. Like Highlander, there ca only be ONE on a network )
Except they don't scream when the toaster is jammed or you light the oil lamp.

As is often, you are more succinct than my meanderings.
Old 02-15-2024, 08:09 PM   #21
culytera
Zealot
culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.culytera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
The handy thing about adding a 2nd box purely configured for LAN and WiFi is that it's nothing to do with your ISP and needs no changes to ISP box, or just the sort of changes allowed (WiFi and DHCP range, but it can be done with no changes).
I see that. My only gripe would then be the frequent power interruptions we get. Currently I have a UPS that lasts for about 12 hours depending on the router's power consumption (which was correct based on several 12 hour power interruptions we've gotten). If I get another router/access point/idk the correct term, I would want to plug it to a UPS too. Maybe I'll get a "24-hour lasting" UPS then just split the connection with the ISP router and the third party one lol
Old 02-15-2024, 08:21 PM   #22
Comfy.n
want to learn what I want
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre E-book viewer
that's one of the reasons why I hesitate to do the modem/router "upgrade" my ISP is pushing

Mine has been working fine for 15 years, I can usually get 80 to 100 Mbps on WiFi, so why change?

They're pushing a Wi-Fi 6 capable device.

add: In the past, I've had a Linksys router (bridged) running dd-wrt firmware, but this became unnecessary

Last edited by Comfy.n; 02-15-2024 at 08:26 PM.
Comfy.n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 08:44 PM   #23
culytera
Zealot

Our old router had the issue of randomly restarting I suppose due to overload? I wasn't really sure, but we never reported that. It was just a thing that old router was known for. The only reason they even replaced the router was because I reported on their IPTV box (which they also replaced) having issues. What sucks is the issue wasn't even fixed and I'm still waiting for their next attempt to fix it.
Old 02-16-2024, 02:47 AM   #24
Comfy.n
want to learn what I want
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre E-book viewer
another reason is that they distribute two brands of devices, however the consumer doesn't get to choose which we're getting - and I was lucky to get the more stable one!
Comfy.n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 08:58 AM   #25
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by culytera View Post
I see that. My only gripe would then be the frequent power interruptions we get. Currently I have a UPS that lasts for about 12 hours depending on the router's power consumption (which was correct based on several 12 hour power interruptions we've gotten). lol
I have 2x UPS.
1) Server, managed switch, fibre modem, router and DECT phones. We'd shut the server down if expecting long outage.
2) Workstation + 4K screen and PSU for backup system if running, plus a 4W LED mains lamp.

I'd need to add external batteries for long outages.