Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-28-2010, 06:08 AM   #1
Sheikspeare
Groupie
Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PR-505 / Kindle DX
Give me one good reason why I shouldn't sell my DX and buy an iPad ...

Frankly, I'm just fed up with the limited functionality of the DX - the 2.5 update has been a disappointment. The formats that can be used are limited too. The wireless function on US DX is useless if you're not in the US. Internal PDF navigation is poor.

I bought the DX to open up reading possibilities. My first ereader was a Sony 505 but I soon realised I wanted something that could do a better job of rendering a complex PDF file. It's still a great reader (the 505 I mean), but the DX just didn't meet up to my expectations. It could if Amazon weren't so obsessed with control. But I just can't be bothered to wait it out, anymore.

So, I'm now thinking why don't I just ditch the DX and get myself an iPad?

Last edited by Sheikspeare; 05-28-2010 at 06:15 AM.
Sheikspeare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 06:31 AM   #2
dieterpops
Addict
dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.

Device: Always in flux
Sounds like you've already made your decision. Based on your criteria, if the DX doesn't meet your needs, then get something else.
dieterpops is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2010, 08:00 AM   #3
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
It could if Amazon weren't so obsessed with control.
And then you go to apple ?

Well, you what you want is reading pdf and don't mind reading on a non e-ink screen, a tablet seams a good idea.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 08:09 AM   #4
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
I have both. I use the iPad.
But it is much much heavier and really hard to use in many places where the Kindle is a joy to use.
slm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 08:46 AM   #5
Anarel
Evangelist
Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.Anarel has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: K1, GKDX, K3
The ipad is heavier.

The ipad hasn't as many books in the ebook store, but if you wanted the dx JUST for the pdf capabilities.....

The ipad is heavier.

The ipad can't be read in sunlight.

The kindle's battery lasts longer.

Eink (generally) provides a better reading experience.

... but you only wanted one reason, didn't you?

Also, if you actually got an international Kindle as opposed to the US model...

Last edited by Anarel; 05-28-2010 at 08:48 AM.
Anarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2010, 10:07 AM   #6
Sheikspeare
Groupie
Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Sheikspeare has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I agree... what redeems the DX to some extent is eInk, battery life and weight. What really annoys me is that Kindle has so much more potential. Many of us have commented on how the DX could be improved but Amazon doesn't pay much attention. This problem doesn't arise with the IPad with its very broad range of applications (in the tens of thousands) and not to mention its very sensible approach to wireless technology.

I guess when the Kindle opens up its OS to a broader range of creative software solutions, it may be looked at more favourably. Until then, the iPad looks increasingly attractive.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:34 AM   #7
detayls
Addict
detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.detayls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Kindle Voyage
Get an iPad. I did and have sold my K2. The killer feature is access to iBooks, Kindle and Barnes and Noble books, so you can still read your books.

You won't use the Kindle app much though. Two of those allow side by side pages in landscape mode. The Kindle is the odd one out.

Don't worry about the weight. It is not noticeable and the other apps seal the deal.

Don't look back. Sell your DX while it still has a shred of value!
detayls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:39 AM   #8
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Quote:
What about buying an ipad and keeping your KDX until the next update? Amazon has come under serious pressure from Apple.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:04 PM   #9
lasteresitas
lasteresitas began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Distraction. You are not distracted by zillions of apps. Kindle gives a genuine reading pleasure.
lasteresitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 01:56 PM   #10
JaneD
Addict
JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
I totally understand your dilemma. I ultimately went with the Kindle DX over the iPad because I wanted to read on it, not surf the web or be distracted by my email, message boards, etc. And after sitting in front of a computer screen all day, my eyes were buggy and needed a break. But if you really want more functionality, it's time to sell the DX and buy the iPad.
JaneD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 01:58 PM   #11
Sischa
Evangelist
Sischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it is

Device: Nokia 770, Ilead, Cybook G3, Kindle DX, Kindle 2, iPad, Kindle 3, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by detayls View Post
Don't worry about the weight. It is not noticeable and the other apps seal the deal.
Nice joke. For casual Reading this may Be correct for serious Reading over several hours the weight of the iPad is just a pain in the ass (and in the wrists)
Sischa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 02:14 PM   #12
Murphey
Murphey began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheikspeare View Post
Frankly, I'm just fed up with the limited functionality of the DX - the 2.5 update has been a disappointment. The formats that can be used are limited too. The wireless function on US DX is useless if you're not in the US. Internal PDF navigation is poor.

I bought the DX to open up reading possibilities. My first ereader was a Sony 505 but I soon realised I wanted something that could do a better job of rendering a complex PDF file. It's still a great reader (the 505 I mean), but the DX just didn't meet up to my expectations. It could if Amazon weren't so obsessed with control. But I just can't be bothered to wait it out, anymore.

I have both and love them both. For reasons stated frequently, the Kindle is frankly better for reading books, lighter, easier to read in direct light, etc. It is for a dedicated purpose and shines in that area. If you are trading the kindle for an ipad because you want a better reader, that is a mistake. The IPAD is obviously more versatile and useful in other areas.
Murphey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 04:34 PM   #13
Sheikspeare
Groupie

For travelling, commuting, chilling on the beach or park, the DX does have an edge, I guess. Also, I think the DX has a lot of potential, if those folk at Amazon would just give it a chance. The 2.5 update has frankly been pitiful. It's time Amazon unleashed some serious Kindle Apps to suit different needs and tastes!
Old 05-28-2010, 05:02 PM   #14
extendedping
Enthusiast
extendedping began at the beginning.

Device: none
I held an ipad in my hands yesterday at the best buy here in queens and the dx. yes there is a difference. but....the dx is already at the point where you are not going to hold it with one hand anyway...and with my case on the dx? I think it was actually heavier then the ipad. page turns? much faster, you can just almost flip through the book. a slider bar too on the bottom to rapidly move about. I do wonder what battery life the ipad would have with wireless off. I have only had my dx for a few days but keeping wireless on, and moving about frequently in a technical book along with moderate internet browsing brought my battery to almost out by bed time yesterday. and now I find I can't use table of contents on the pdfs? oouuuccchhhhh.

sure the kindle is better outdoors (but worse for bedtime reading) and has somewhat battery life but overall from what I can tell...

go for the ipad and just use the kindle reader for the books you already have.
extendedping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 05:13 PM   #15
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
I can't. Battery life is the one thing--but 10 hours is plenty for most as long as they don't mind plugging it in every night or two.

I'm no lover of the iPad for a variety of reasons--so I'm not an Apple fanboy or anything. On the contrary, I really don't like Apple's business practices much etc.

But there's no way I'd personally buy a large screen e-ink device after playing around with my girlfriend's iPad.

I want a large screen tablet (ideally 12" or so) for reading letter sized PDFs etc.--but I don't need/want one bad enough to shellout $500+ for a device that can ONLY do that with an e-ink screen.

I personally want a multimedia tablet that I can do my work reading on, but also surf the net and all that other stuff etc. And from your post it sounds like you're in the same boat, so ditch the DX and get an iPad and/or wait and see what happens with the Google tablet and other Android and WebOS tablets in the pipeline if you don't need it right now.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote