Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 03-01-2010, 10:39 AM   #136
seagull
Addict
seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Are you sure you can purchase this from the UK as an eBook?
Yes. And there's some titles I can't purchase but they're still in the running anyway so it doesn't matter.
seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:43 AM   #137
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The idea here is that we are reading eBooks, not pBooks. So if a book is not available as an eBook, then we really do have to disqualify it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2010, 10:44 AM   #138
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Damn you, geographical restrictions! Damn you all to hell!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:47 AM   #139
seagull
Addict
seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Quote:
The idea here is that we are reading eBooks, not pBooks. So if a book is not available as an eBook, then we really do have to disqualify it.
Well I too agree I must say.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:50 AM   #140
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Of course, and it IS available as an ebook.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2010, 10:52 AM   #141
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Of course, and it IS available as an ebook.

BOb
But is it available as an eBook to all who want to partake in it for the book club?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:53 AM   #142
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
USA, USA, USA. Where's one shop that's not USA that carries it?
I'll play. USA! USA! USA!

Sorry 'bout that, Jon! I couldn't find an e-version for our friends in the UK. Anyone?
Old 03-01-2010, 10:54 AM   #143
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
But is it available as an eBook to all who want to partake in it for the book club?
Perhaps, perhaps not. Life sucks sometimes. Jon, this shouldn't be so stiff and difficult. The club is for fun. If a book wins and people can't get it, well there will be a selection next month.

Relax a bit will ya?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:54 AM   #144
seagull
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I'll play. USA! USA! USA!

Sorry 'bout that, Jon! I couldn't find an e-version for our friends in the UK. Anyone?
Amazon, exactly the same link as you posted.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:20 PM   #145
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Well, as I said, A Briefer History of Time is available in the U.S., and it's pretty much the same book, only updated and slightly longer (go figure--it must have something to do with relativity).

There are 224 pages in the hardcover edition of A Brief History of Time.

There are 256 pages in the hardcover edition of A Briefer History of Time.

Both are excellent. The Kindle edition of A Briefer History of Time is here.
OK, I don't know where that "256 pages" in the hardcover edition of A Briefer History of Time came from as I can no longer find the original page on which I saw it. Of the several hardcover editions that are listed on Amazon, the number of pages in each book varies greatly. It seem A Briefer History of Time is briefer. I've read both, but A Brief History as an audiobook and a Briefer History as an e-book, so there was no way to tell just from that.

Then there's this (each screenshot taken moments apart). Do they mean they want you to tell the publisher you'd like to start reading the book on your Kindle in under a minute?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Briefer-TellThePublisher.JPG
Views:	333
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	46837   Click image for larger version

Name:	Briefer-StartReading.JPG
Views:	342
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	46838  

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 03-01-2010 at 08:42 PM.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:28 PM   #146
seagull
Addict

According to amazon.co.uk Brief is 256 pages while Briefer is 176 pages. Looks like I'll get Brief
Old 03-01-2010, 02:24 PM   #147
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by seagull View Post
According to amazon.co.uk Brief is 256 pages while Briefer is 176 pages. Looks like I'll get Brief
Buy both - then you can tell everyone you've got Stephen Hawking's briefs.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:05 PM   #148
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelC View Post
I think I have one vote left so I will third the Ann Rule Stranger Beside Me book.

Mel
This one is not available in Australia..
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:06 PM   #149
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
Is Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers available outside the USA? If it's not, it should be eliminated from the list.
It's available in Australia... I bought it yesterday.
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 04:09 AM   #150
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
Quote:
Are you sure you can purchase this from the UK as an eBook?
I've said before on this thread that I am in the UK, and I've bought it. A lot of stuff on Amazon is available via Amazon for PC (but by no means everything, of course).

If we start saying that ebooks must be available everywhere, why not say that they must be readable on any reader? Pretty soon we'd have enough criteria to exclude almost everything. In my view, we're better off proposing whatever we want, people pointing out any shortcomings (like geo restrictions), and then having a vote. I doubt that a book with limited availability will win, because fewer people are likely to vote for it.
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote