Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-22-2007, 05:11 PM   #1
klikklak
Connoisseur
klikklak doesn't litterklikklak doesn't litter

Device: nokia 770, PRS-500
prs500 came, rebooted often and bricked

Well, I got my prs500 today and it displayed flaky behaviour from the get go, when I inserted my sd card with a lot of books and comics on it it showed the processing image (turning arrows) but rebooted regularly. Now, this was with partially loaded battery. I left for just a bit over 2h and left it to recharge (on the usb) and when I came back it just displays the usb charging image, libprs500 doesn't recognise it as an available reader and power button blinks the yellow led, but doesn't do anything more than that.

I've tried resetting dozens of times but to no avail. Is there still some hope for this unit or should I just try to return it to seller (unfortunately this was from ebay and I don't think they have a policy on returns, at least none was mentioned)?
klikklak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 05:27 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I just want to check everything: did you remove the card before resetting?

If you did, then I have nothing else to suggest.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2007, 05:34 PM   #3
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Try using the latest firmware updater.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 06:19 PM   #4
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Try recharging overnight, NOT with the usb but using the mains electricity supply. This solves a lot of problems of this type.
In any case, I believe that the PRS 500 will not charge from usb unless you have the sony connect software installed.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 06:35 PM   #5
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
In any case, I believe that the PRS 500 will not charge from usb unless you have the sony connect software installed.
That is correct. Also, those books and comics you got... how large are the files on average? My Reader tends to become unstable with larger files (>10Mb).
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2007, 07:00 PM   #6
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
And if the klikklak has libprs then he probably doesn't have the sony connect software installed. ( I believe that it's difficult to have them both on the same computer because of driver issues.)
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 07:32 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I did once have libprs500 and Connect installed on my computer (both device drivers). Everything worked fine with Connect until I tried to use libprs500 to access my 500. The solution was delete the installed device driver for libprs500 and reboot. Once done, my 500 worked fine with my computer.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 09:18 AM   #8
klikklak
Connoisseur
klikklak doesn't litterklikklak doesn't litter

Device: nokia 770, PRS-500
bricked reader

Wow, thanks all for the replies! The files I have on it are quite big, around 15mb comic pdf's, I saw a figure that someone had trouble with files over 30mb, but this I suppose is for 505? Damn, in that case I have to split the comics in to more manageable pieces. *sigh* I hate manual work..

Regarding the problems, it was the mains adapter that was needed. I just came back from the shop (got a compatible cable) and after plugging the reader in it started just fine, not even the comics gave me any trouble. Well, except for not having any metadata (DOCUMENT is not very helpful.) But it works and thanks for all the help!
klikklak is offline   Reply With Quote