Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-20-2011, 07:00 PM   #1
frozenmama
frozenmama can name that song in three notesfrozenmama can name that song in three notesfrozenmama can name that song in three notesfrozenmama can name that song in three notesfrozenmama can name that song in three notesfrozenmama can name that song in three notesfrozenmama can name that song in three notesfrozenmama can name that song in three notesfrozenmama can name that song in three notesfrozenmama can name that song in three notesfrozenmama can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo
How long do books stay as "purchased" on Kobo site?

I went through my purchasing history on kobobook.com and they have everything I've bought since my first book purchase in the fall of 2010.

I'm wondering if anyone knows how long those books will stay there?

I'd really like to purge some of the books off my library through the kobo desktop, but would like to have the option of putting them back on one day. If kobobooks site will save them for ever(seems unlikely), no problem. I could just go back to the site to get my books again whenever I opted to reread them.

Or, if the above isn't possible, can anyone tell me how I can easily do what I'm asking about?

Wish I could drag & drop them off my kobo desktop and just back them up on my computer.
frozenmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:15 PM   #2
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
you can !!

download ade and then just download the books 1 by 1 just by clicking the adobe epub link on each book, then ade will automatically download it to your pc.

they will have drm still on them but you'll have the hard copies of the books you purchased.

they'll be located in my documents/my digital editions

what you do after is up to you but that should get the ball rolling.
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2011, 07:16 PM   #3
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
You should be able to download them to Adobe Digital Editions - this will also be a backup in case Kobo changed retention policies. They are still DRM'd and need to be loaded via ADE and of course you need to back up the ADE files. But they will still be there on the Kobo site. Why not contact Kobo and ask if they can set up and "archive folder" so your books can still be available but not all on display at once? It could just be a problem they haven't addressed yet as most people wouldn't have had their Kobos for such a long time.
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:35 PM   #4
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Quote:
I'd really like to purge some of the books off my library through the kobo desktop, but would like to have the option of putting them back on one day.
Simply go to your Kobo web site library and select the I'm Reading tab as opposed to the Purchased tab and delete all the books. When you Update Library on the desktop app only the book in the I'm Reading tab will show on the desktop app (which will be zero since you removed them all, or you can have as many as you like).

The books on the Purchased tab stay forever unless you delete the books on that tab.

If you want to move any book from the Purchased tab to the I'm Reading tab, then select the book in the Purchased tab and press the bookmark button.

There's also a Trash tab if you do something dumb.

ltr
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:05 AM   #5
frozenmama
frozenmama can name that song in three notesfrozenmama can name that song in three notesfrozenmama can name that song in three notesfrozenmama can name that song in three notesfrozenmama can name that song in three notesfrozenmama can name that song in three notesfrozenmama can name that song in three notesfrozenmama can name that song in three notesfrozenmama can name that song in three notesfrozenmama can name that song in three notesfrozenmama can name that song in three notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltr View Post
Simply go to your Kobo web site library and select the I'm Reading tab as opposed to the Purchased tab and delete all the books. When you Update Library on the desktop app only the book in the I'm Reading tab will show on the desktop app (which will be zero since you removed them all, or you can have as many as you like).

Perfect. Thanks so much for your response(s) - just the information I was looking for.
Advert
Old 04-23-2011, 04:51 PM   #6
frozenmama

Just an update - I contacted customer care and was told:

Thanks for contacting Kobo. Yes, books in the Purchased section of our website will stay there forever.

That answers that.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:13 PM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenmama View Post
Just an update - I contacted customer care and was told:

Thanks for contacting Kobo. Yes, books in the Purchased section of our website will stay there forever.

That answers that.
Yes this is true of all Internet eBook stores so long as they exist. Note that this means there is a record of your purchase. They don't save a copy of your exact file. If there is an update to the book you purchased and you download it again you will get an updated version, not the one you purchased. This is usually a good thing.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 02:44 PM   #8
KrowNB
Enthusiast
KrowNB began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenmama View Post
J...books in the Purchased section of our website will stay there forever.[/I]...
Forever.... Gee, that's a long, long, time. I keep my own copies in the event I last longer than "forever".
KrowNB is offline   Reply With Quote