Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 03-19-2018, 09:34 PM   #1
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Kobo Connecting Error

I received a "new" Kobo Mini today and have been trying it out. For the second time I've gotten the following error (after a Factory Reset and completely re-setting up the Kobo).

CorruptError: database disk image is malformed

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 87, in run
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/device.py", line 510, in _books
File "site-packages/calibre/devices/kobo/driver.py", line 1859, in books
File "src/cursor.c", line 236, in resetcursor
CorruptError: CorruptError: database disk image is malformed

Both times this has happened after I sent a book over from Calibre. The first time I was able to send the same one over several times before receiving this error. The second time only once.

Now that I think about it, the book I'm sending over was set up in Sony PRS-300 format the last time before the reset (because it looked it so awful when I tried Kobo format, which I had experimented with) – and then I sent the book in PRS-300 format the first time AFTER the reset. Could that be the issue? (Just occurred to me as I was typing. The book looks much nicer in Sony format.)

Thanks for any pointers.

EDIT: Next time I tried hooking up the Mini, it worked fine – so it looks like it's just going to be touchy – maybe I need to delay disconnecting it?

Last edited by rcentros; 03-19-2018 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Added information
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 10:30 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
EDIT: Next time I tried hooking up the Mini, it worked fine – so it looks like it's just going to be touchy – maybe I need to delay disconnecting it?
That could be the case. You do need to make sure the eject or safely remove has worked properly. If you do it from calibre, it should be OK, but if you also access the drive from Windows, that can block the eject from happening in Windows.

Also, I don't know what you mean by the "Sony format". These should just be epubs. There might be some style changes that work better on one device than on others, but there shouldn't be anything that causes a problem like you saw.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 01:19 AM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
That could be the case. You do need to make sure the eject or safely remove has worked properly. If you do it from calibre, it should be OK, but if you also access the drive from Windows, that can block the eject from happening in Windows.
I'm not doing anything different than I do with any of my eReaders, but I'm guessing the Kobo Mini might be a little touchier and maybe it's not quite done "unmounting" when it shows that it is. (I use Calibre on Linux.)

Quote:
Also, I don't know what you mean by the "Sony format". These should just be epubs. There might be some style changes that work better on one device than on others, but there shouldn't be anything that causes a problem like you saw.
By "format" I meant "output profile." When I used the Kobo output profile (there's nothing specific for Kobo Mini) it produced some odd elements (like wide spaces between italicized lines). The Sony PRS-300 output profile looks almost the same on the Kobo Mini as it does on Sony 300 and 350 (which I like). Now that the Mini (eventually) worked without a reset, I'm guessing that the output profile isn't the issue.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:33 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I'm not doing anything different than I do with any of my eReaders, but I'm guessing the Kobo Mini might be a little touchier and maybe it's not quite done "unmounting" when it shows that it is. (I use Calibre on Linux.)
I don't use calibre and Linux much. And on Windows I tend to eject and then forget to actually unplug for a few minutes, or leave it to charge. But even when I am in a hurry, I probably do give them a few extra seconds before actually unplugging.
Quote:
By "format" I meant "output profile." When I used the Kobo output profile (there's nothing specific for Kobo Mini) it produced some odd elements (like wide spaces between italicized lines). The Sony PRS-300 output profile looks almost the same on the Kobo Mini as it does on Sony 300 and 350 (which I like). Now that the Mini (eventually) worked without a reset, I'm guessing that the output profile isn't the issue.
The output profile only really affects the image resizing. It sets the maximum size for images and anything larger will be downscaled. I usually recommend the tablet output profile for Kobo devices as they handle the images scaling fairly well.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 07:48 PM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
The output profile only really affects the image resizing. It sets the maximum size for images and anything larger will be downscaled. I usually recommend the tablet output profile for Kobo devices as they handle the images scaling fairly well.
Okay, I'll try that. Thanks.