Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-28-2023, 12:57 PM   #1
Odyssee
Connoisseur
Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kindle Basic 11
Disastrous new Amazon policy (DRM)

Please have a look at this thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=351285

Effectively those of us who use a Kobo ereader, can't read any new kindle books (published after the 3d of january) anymore on our Kobos.
I used to buy my books with the 1.17 Kindle for pc app, which allowed me to load the azw file in Calibre and then upload to my Kobo Sage. Amazon has blocked this 1.17 version and forces the customer to use the latest version which downloads only the KFX file which can not be read in Calibre.
This is too bad. The power of Amazon is such that many authors publish exclusively in the Kindle store. Their (new) books can't be bought in other online stores.
Odyssee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 01:27 PM   #2
Lys
Zealot
Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lys ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odyssee View Post
The power of Amazon is such that many authors publish exclusively in the Kindle store. Their (new) books can't be bought in other online stores.
That's what monopoly looks like, and the ones losing are always the customers.

I'm sorry for those who read a lot of authors that sell exclusively on Amazon platform. It really sucks, and, if you can, try and reach out to them explaining how they are losing readers when they lock themselves into exclusivity contracts with Amazon. I don't know how long those contracts are, but maybe they will think twice over signing again with them.
If they don't care about that, I'm not going to cry a river over authors who don't want me to read their stuff, though.
Thankfully, there is enough to read around.
Lys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 05:17 PM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Just buy an old Kindle for $15, register it, and put it in a box and forget about it.

Then buy your ebook and download it to your computer (selecting that Kindle), and then put the file in calibre and convert like you're crazy (if that is your predilection).

I have, use, and love both Kindles and Kobos - and so I have no problem whatsoever with what I want to buy, where I want to buy, and what I want to read on whatever device I own.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 07:40 PM   #4
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Please have a look at this thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=351285

Effectively those of us who use a Kobo ereader, can't read any new kindle books (published after the 3d of january) anymore on our Kobos.
I used to buy my books with the 1.17 Kindle for pc app, which allowed me to load the azw file in Calibre and then upload to my Kobo Sage. Amazon has blocked this 1.17 version and forces the customer to use the latest version which downloads only the KFX file which can not be read in Calibre.
This is too bad. The power of Amazon is such that many authors publish exclusively in the Kindle store. Their (new) books can't be bought in other online stores.
You have misunderstood.
  1. 1.17 still works and downloads books in mobi or azw, EXCEPT:
  2. Books PUBLISHED AFTER January 03, 2023. Any book published after that date will require a newer version of Kindle for PC and will only download as a KFX with (currently) unbreakable DRM.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Publication details.PNG
Views:	112
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	199311  
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 01:07 AM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
You have misunderstood.
  1. 1.17 still works and downloads books in mobi or azw, EXCEPT:
  2. Books PUBLISHED AFTER January 03, 2023. Any book published after that date will require a newer version of Kindle for PC and will only download as a KFX with (currently) unbreakable DRM.
But you'll still get AZW for the Jan 03 and later books if you have an older Kindle, correct?
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 01:37 AM   #6
Kindleing
Groupie
Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindleing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles & Kobos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
But you'll still get AZW for the Jan 03 and later books if you have an older Kindle, correct?
IF you use "Download and transfer via USB" from the Amazon website "Content and Devices" page. Just select an eink Kindle as the destination; download to your computer and then transfer to Calibre. Then use USB to transfer from Calibre to your preferred device. At least that's the way it works today; who knows about the future.
[Edited for (hopefully) clarity]

ETA: Also, this only works for purchased books, not for borrowed books (KU, etc.)

Last edited by Kindleing; 01-29-2023 at 02:01 AM.
Kindleing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 02:11 AM   #7
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Any eink Kindle, even the newest. An old Kindle is needed to pull KU books off it, as Download & Transfer is not available for those.

Numerous complaints by people wanting to deDRM their KU loans has caused a massive confusion about the topic.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 04:15 AM   #8
GeorgK
Enthusiast
GeorgK began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Aura HD; Kobo Aura H2O 2.Version V2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Just buy an old Kindle for $15, register it, and put it in a box and forget about it.

Then buy your ebook and download it to your computer (selecting that Kindle), and then put the file in calibre and convert like you're crazy (if that is your predilection). ...
Great! Just gave it a try and succeeded
I never delt with Kindle hardware and never got in contact with this Kindle dialogue on Amazon's website. I wrongly asumed download via internet to be the only way to get books downloaded...

Regards
Georg
GeorgK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 04:15 AM   #9
Odyssee
Connoisseur
Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.Odyssee knows what's going on.

Quote Sirtel: "Any eink Kindle, even the newest. An old Kindle is needed to pull KU books off it, as Download & Transfer is not available for those."

I am confused. Do you mean: the newest Kindles transfer the books via wifi, but if you want 'download & transfer' (via USB) you need an older Kindle? If so which Kindles still can do that trick?
Old 01-29-2023, 04:41 AM   #10
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Quote Sirtel: "Any eink Kindle, even the newest. An old Kindle is needed to pull KU books off it, as Download & Transfer is not available for those."

I am confused. Do you mean: the newest Kindles transfer the books via wifi, but if you want 'download & transfer' (via USB) you need an older Kindle? If so which Kindles still can do that trick?
Vice versa: any eink Kindle can use download & transfer, but if you want to pull the books directly off a Kindle, you'll need an older model (Kindle 3/4 and the first Kindle Touch). The books directly downloaded to newer Kindles via wifi can't be decrypted.

Download & Transfer is not available for borrowed books. Only for purchases.
Old 01-29-2023, 04:54 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
And you need a Kindle Touch or older to be able to pull off KF8 eBooks. A PW1 will not work even though it does not handle KFX.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 04:55 AM   #12
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And you need a Kindle Touch or older to be able to pull off KF8 eBooks. A PW1 will not work even though it does not handle KFX.
Yes. To be clear: if you purchase your books, any eink Kindle can be used to get your purchases into Calibre and decrypt them. If you borrow your books, you'll need an old model.
Old 01-29-2023, 05:11 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Yes. To be clear: if you purchase your books, any eink Kindle can be used to get your purchases into Calibre and decrypt them. If you borrow your books, you'll need an old model.
That is correct.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2023, 06:23 AM   #14
Odyssee
Connoisseur

Thanks. Thats clear for now. I am a Kobo user but it may end in me buying a Kindle as well. Several authors I follow and read seem to publish exclusively on the Kindle store so I probably have no other choice.
Old 01-29-2023, 06:31 AM   #15
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
If you borrow your books, you'll need an old model.
Or get a new model or Android eink for Kindle App, because you don't own loans. I got an Android eink purely for the local Library Android app, but I installed Kindle & Kobo & Google ebook apps as well, just in case.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote