Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-14-2009, 08:44 PM   #46
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman View Post
No entirely accurate from what I had read....

They were going to addi DRM Epub support, however it will be with the Ereader type DRM, no ADE compatible.
We know Fictionwise has talked about ePub with eReader style DRM, but to the best of my knowledge they haven't talked about it for quite a while and no mention has been made by any device manufacturers. Have you heard something recent about it?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:50 PM   #47
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Aside from the white, I like it. I won't be jumping on the B&N wagon until others have had the chance to play with it and I'm still in want of the Plastic Logic Reader.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2009, 08:59 PM   #48
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I'd hope/assume these will be sold in B&N brick & mortar stores as well as online. This would give them a potential advantage over Amazon. I know you can return a Kindle within 30 days, but it's much easier to pop into a store and check something out.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:04 PM   #49
fuzzy_dunlop
Enthusiast
fuzzy_dunlop began at the beginning.

Device: none
Some sites are already reporting the name as Athena. I'm surprised that Gizmodo wrote "The name of the gadget, which I cannot reveal and may have changed anyhow, is freaking terrible."

Greek goddess of Wisdom, makes sense to me. No worse than Kindle or Sony Lettersfollowedbynumbers.
fuzzy_dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:18 PM   #50
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I'd hope/assume these will be sold in B&N brick & mortar stores as well as online. This would give them a potential advantage over Amazon. I know you can return a Kindle within 30 days, but it's much easier to pop into a store and check something out.
Absolutely on target here.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2009, 10:37 PM   #51
Maike13
Connoisseur
Maike13 began at the beginning.

Device: IRex Iliad 1st Ed.
So which reader manufacturer does this dual screen 6" display device spring from? Maybe it's the Apple device we keep hearing about. .

Last edited by Maike13; 10-14-2009 at 10:43 PM.
Maike13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 09:32 AM   #52
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Aside from the white, I like it. I won't be jumping on the B&N wagon until others have had the chance to play with it and I'm still in want of the Plastic Logic Reader.
I'm in a quandary myself, Daffy, and I really don't like white for a reader.

I buy a lot of pbooks from B&N (spent $150 on hardcovers there yesterday) and ebooks from Fictionwise, so I am looking forward to being able to buy ebooks from B&N -- but I'm not sure about the device and the Plastic Logic device has a lot of vaporware appeal (I call it vaporware because everything sounds great but I haven't seen it for sale yet).

I'm not sure how comfortable the PL size will be for reading and portability. And price is a concern.

Plus there is the Sony Daily Edition and the iRex DSG800.

There are going to be too many choices and too many compromises will have to be made when I settle on a new device.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 09:39 AM   #53
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
and it quotes ......

What's interesting is that B&N will sell the books it also publishes (yes, remember, they are also a publisher and not just a store) at a deep discount compared to print editions.
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:13 AM   #54
Maike13
Connoisseur
Maike13 began at the beginning.

Device: IRex Iliad 1st Ed.
Came across this rumour that Taiwanese firm Inventec is to be the manufacturer of the new B&N reader.

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/biz/.../10/2003455626
Maike13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:30 AM   #55
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
If the "first quarter of next year" is accurate, Inventec probably isn't making the Athena. Otherwise B&N is going to miss out on Christmas sales.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:31 AM   #56
Ocean
Banned
Ocean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enough

Device: Proud G1 Kindle Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Why?

Do you want Amazon to lose? I love my Kindle.

Anything else I get would be in addition to it...not a replacement for it.

I'd love to be able to use ADE on my portable -ereader, for example.
Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:35 AM   #57
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
Why?
Do you want Amazon to lose?
It is possible that they don't want them to lose, but just to compete, with the thought that competition is good and market dominance bad, for the consumer.
Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:36 AM   #58
Ocean
Banned
Ocean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enough

Device: Proud G1 Kindle Owner
A decidely much more mixed reaction: http://www.kindleboards.com/index.ph...c,14567.0.html
Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:37 AM   #59
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean View Post
Why?

Do you want Amazon to lose? ....

My answer is yes, as long as they continue to sell exclusively in a propitiatory format. The same goes for B&N is that is where they are headed.

P.S. even so I'm very tempted to purchase a kindle simply for access to the books and prices that Amazon offers.......
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:42 AM   #60
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post

There are going to be too many choices and too many compromises will have to be made when I settle on a new device.
I have an extra large bottle of aspirin that I'm willing to share for the headaches that come with the gift of too many choices.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote