Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-16-2009, 12:41 AM   #1
mobimorgan
mobimorgan began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
Avid reader again now with Kindle

Hi all, I just bought an Amazon Kindle yesterday and jumped right in downloading ebooks on the web and loading them up. Right now I'm reading Orson Scott Card's "First Meetings in the Enderverse" (sci-fi). I discovered just a few months ago that I have cancer, so the Kindle (along with my laptop) is one of my best friends for all the downtime I have now in the bed, convalescing.

I found mobileread.com while searching for conversion tips for PDFs and whatnot. Great forum with lots of useful info. Thanks to all for sharing!
mobimorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 01:14 AM   #2
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Welcome! And best wishes towards your speedy recovery. I'm sure you've probably found the ebooks here, Feedbooks.com and how wonderful (and easy) calibre is for gaining news sites, blogs, etc. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask!
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2009, 01:51 AM   #3
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Get well soon mobimorgan!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 07:13 AM   #4
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.

Have a speedy recovery.

Cheers.

nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 11:34 AM   #5
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Cheers, and come back often when you get stir-crazy. Check out the Baen free library for a source of free ebooks:
http://www.baen.com/library/
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2009, 07:17 PM   #6
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Good luck with your illness, get better soon The Kindle is a great device to have handy while recovering, and also a little tip - mention to your relatives that you have one and they can easily give you Amazon gift certificates lol
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:18 PM   #7
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
Mobimorgan - I will keep you in my prayers for a speedy recovery. Take Fugazied's advice and get some Amazon gift cards to keep the books coming. Godspeed and warm wishes!
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:39 PM   #8
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
You have my best wishes for a speedy and complete convalescence. I think a Kindle is great company when you're housebound.

If you're looking for something to read (and if our tastes wind up being similar), some of my favorites are: the Temeraire books (start with _His Majesty's Dragon_, free at Amazon) _Pride And Prejudice_ (free right here at Mobileread) _1632_ (available from the Baen Free Library)--(and hot dog; they have _Earthweb_ and _Fire In The Mist_ too ) and Analog Science Fiction and Fact(I think three dollars a month at Amazon, or they have it at Fictionwise also: the Amazon Analogs are not DRMed, so if you decide to get them, they will be movable to other mobi-compatible devices).

I hope you enjoy your Kindle a lot, and that you get well soon, so that reading is one enjoyable option among many.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 06:20 AM   #9
mobimorgan
mobimorgan began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
thanks for wishes & tips

Thanks to you all for the well wishes and tips. Family has sent me a few amz gift cards and it's been great. I'll have to also browse some of these book rec's.

I'm in hospital this week and amazing how easy it is to stay plugged in with the kindle- wireless newsweek, book samples, reading lists... love it!
mobimorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 12:10 AM   #10
oncdoc
Addict
oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.oncdoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle, pocket pro
good luck to you. keep positive thoughts and trust in God.
oncdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:31 PM   #11
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
My prayers are with you. Kindle really rekindled my love of reading, also. And especially the library! I don't ever go to the library anymore, I just sit in bed and search for books!
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote