Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-23-2017, 04:58 PM   #1471
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Open the spoiler of step 2, check the last paragraph.

I changed it to hopefully make it clear why users should not use the reset function.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 05:38 PM   #1472
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
clap clap clap!!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2017, 02:22 AM   #1473
Lowantong
Lowantong began at the beginning.

Device: paperwhite 3
KT3 Help

Dear Friends,

Anybody know how to exit diagnostic mode?

Model: KT3
Serial number: G000K9.

Thanks!
Lowantong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 08:14 AM   #1474
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowantong View Post
Dear Friends,

Anybody know how to exit diagnostic mode?

Model: KT3
Serial number: G000K9.

Thanks!
"Dear Friends" ???
You have never supplied or even responded to anyone answering your earlier posts, how can you claim to have any friends here?

- - - -

Your last chance to cooperate:

Sure, use the menu entry named 'exit'.

If you don't see the diag menu, you had better give us more information, such as what you where doing that got you into diagnostics mode.

Also, what resources you have available (serial port connection, pc software, etc).

What firmware version is the KT3 diagnostic system you are having trouble with?

Have you read any of the things in the various de-bricking threads?
There is a 'sticky' with an index that leads to the de-bricking subject threads.

Last edited by knc1; 02-24-2017 at 08:22 AM.
Old 02-28-2017, 11:44 AM   #1475
radamo
Addict
radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Oasis 9th Gen
Does the Jailbreak make the device (Voyage) inherently more unstable? The reason I ask this is I have a few month old Voyage that was jailbroken back in December. I am running 5.8.5.02 (I believe) because I like to use the "Extract Covers" tool so that "docs" (converted epub books that I own and send to my Kindle) will show their covers in the Library view. I also use the ScreenSaver Hack so that my current book's cover shows as my screensaver.

Last night I tried to use Calibre to email several books to my Voyage. One got to the device. The others all showed on my Amazon cloud but no matter what I did they would not download to the device. I did a restart on the device and all the books downloaded without issue. I had recently restarted the device just for normal maintenance... I use it a lot and try to "restart" once a month or so.

Is this a common issue (not being able to download new books) or is this a result of the jailbreak? Is there anyway to tell what caused the issue?

Thank you...

Last edited by radamo; 02-28-2017 at 11:53 AM.
radamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2017, 12:05 PM   #1476
knc1
Going Viral

Go to the Device Info panel, check what firmware version you are now running.

Sounds like it was doing an update while you had it on-line.

And in answer to your question: No
The "jail break" is the addition of one small data file (our signature certificate).

Loading a 'bad' book is more likely to break your device than anything we provide.

Last edited by knc1; 02-28-2017 at 12:08 PM.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:28 PM   #1477
radamo
Addict
radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Go to the Device Info panel, check what firmware version you are now running.

Sounds like it was doing an update while you had it on-line.

And in answer to your question: No
The "jail break" is the addition of one small data file (our signature certificate).

Loading a 'bad' book is more likely to break your device than anything we provide.
I posted the wrong version. I am running 5.8.2.1 and have also made the recommended change to "block" updates.

Glad to hear it wasn't the JB. All the books seem to load okay after the reset... I will keep an eye on it.

Thanks for the quick response.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:44 PM   #1478
knc1
Going Viral

It still could have been trying to do any OTA update.
Current is: 5.8.7.0.1
Old 02-28-2017, 01:35 PM   #1479
radamo
Addict

Quote:
It still could have been trying to do any OTA update.
Current is: 5.8.7.0.1
Since I am trying to learn a bit about the ecosystem are you saying that if I have added the blocker directory "update.bin.tmp.partial" the device still could attempt to load an update? Or it could succeed?
Thanks!
Old 02-28-2017, 02:10 PM   #1480
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by radamo View Post
Since I am trying to learn a bit about the ecosystem are you saying that if I have added the blocker directory "update.bin.tmp.partial" the device still could attempt to load an update? Or it could succeed?
Thanks!
Maybe.
Depends on the firmware / device model combination that is trying to make the attempt.
Not all combinations have been tested and users have not been reporting the results of attempts.

There are a lot of steps in that phrase: "attempt to load" -
if any fail, then the whole attempt fails.

Dump the system messages log, search it for messages about "OTA" or "update".
That should give you some information about what your model/firmware combination is trying to do.
In the main screen, the search function, search for:
;dm
the semicolon is part of the command.
That will create from 1 to 4 new documents on the Kindle.
Old 02-28-2017, 03:16 PM   #1481
radamo
Addict

Interesting command. The system log had no references to OTA or update. Thanks for your quick and informative replies. I am going to drop this for the time and only look further if I see further issues. Have a great day!
Old 03-01-2017, 01:35 PM   #1482
gocho8
gocho8 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 3 (5.8.5 JB)
Quote:
Maybe.
Depends on the firmware / device model combination that is trying to make the attempt.
Not all combinations have been tested and users have not been reporting the results of attempts.

There are a lot of steps in that phrase: "attempt to load" -
if any fail, then the whole attempt fails.

Dump the system messages log, search it for messages about "OTA" or "update".
That should give you some information about what your model/firmware combination is trying to do.
In the main screen, the search function, search for:
;dm
the semicolon is part of the command.
That will create from 1 to 4 new documents on the Kindle.
Thanks for ur efforts at maintaining this jb community, instructions are so clear and u are answering (some silly) questions here. Thanks.
gocho8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 07:25 AM   #1483
radamo
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocho8 View Post
Thanks for ur efforts at maintaining this jb community, instructions are so clear and u are answering (some silly) questions here. Thanks.
I guess they are silly to you... but I appreciate the help in understanding how this device operates.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:59 AM   #1484
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by radamo View Post
Interesting command.
That is not the only search bar command that Amazon provides.

For KT3 and KOA owners, our extension(s) to Amazon's search bar commands are the only way to install new (mr) packages.

Also, our search bar extension can have additional commands added by the user.

Eight months and nobody has offered any such extension commands, so don't hold your breath for any additions.
(Plus, the current extension system for the search bar commands needs a bit of work, currently it is only a working prototype. Since no one has posted any questions or change requests for it, it is pretty certain that no one is working on additions.)
Old 03-03-2017, 01:02 AM   #1485
graay
graay began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 3
I am trying to jailbreak my device and I am not sure if it worked...

It's running 5.7.4 and is a PW3 (G090G1). I installed the factory firmware package and then tried the jailbreaking html package. When I enter ;installHtml in the search bar the kindle resets but I am not finding the text file that says that the kindle is jailbroken after it does. As it's a newer version I know that I can't hotfix it so I tried putting on the KUAL and MKK on the device, but when I open KUAL it says "this item is not signed by an authorized developer. Please contact the developer." I'm wondering if the jailbreak didn't stick and what I'm doing wrong.

Thank you for any help.
graay is offline   Reply With Quote