Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-23-2013, 05:21 PM   #361
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminrussell View Post
It is a perfect fit, but not sure I like the way the cover flips back, kind of defeats the purpose of the shape of the back of the device as it is now covered when I am reading.
Looking at the pictures on Kobo's site I suspected that would be a problem for some. The flat surface (cover) folded back now covers the ridged surface (back) when reading.

Apparently no way to detach the front cover while reading then re-attach when you want to put in a bag or carry around?
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:22 PM   #362
Willa
Davidfor's friend 😊
Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertheglobe View Post
In Kobo's defence, it can be seen in some of the pics on their site.
Ahhh . . have not seen those . . as I am in the UK and they direct me to the UK retailer.
Willa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2013, 06:40 PM   #363
jiminrussell
JimInRussell
jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.jiminrussell is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: kobo Aura One, Forma, Elipsa, Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
Looking at the pictures on Kobo's site I suspected that would be a problem for some. The flat surface (cover) folded back now covers the ridged surface (back) when reading.

Apparently no way to detach the front cover while reading then re-attach when you want to put in a bag or carry around?
No way to detach it that I can see. I can however hold the cover between my pinky and ring fingers so that I can then keep 3 fingers on the ridged back and my thumb on the bezel and use my thumb to page forward.

The way the cover is made I think it would work for lefties as well, I haven't tired putting it on that way but does look like it would work fine with the hinged side of the cover on the right side rather than the left side.
Edit: on second thought, it won't work that way because the center crease on the back is not in the center from top to bottom.

Last edited by jiminrussell; 04-23-2013 at 11:27 PM.
jiminrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:43 PM   #364
RZetlin
Addict
RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura HD (RIP)
Does anybody know how long the Aura will be in production?

One reviewer believes the Aura won't last until the end of the year.

Given the responses on this forum, the Aura is popular - I wonder if Kobo will change it's mind on a limited run.
RZetlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:05 PM   #365
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
It might well be beyond their control; remember one suggestion has been that the supplier of the eInk screens had 300,000 become available, and Kobo acquired the entire batch.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2013, 07:26 PM   #366
RZetlin
Addict
RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RZetlin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
It might well be beyond their control; remember one suggestion has been that the supplier of the eInk screens had 300,000 become available, and Kobo acquired the entire batch.
Well, Kobo can try and produce more units can't they?
Old 04-23-2013, 08:10 PM   #367
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
IIRC there was also comment there that the 300,000 was the initial run, so in theory they could get more. One of the Kobo bigwigs in an interview video from the British Book show (?) also seemed to hint that it was possible they might think about doing another batch if it was a runaway success. Time will tell.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:34 PM   #368
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZetlin View Post
Does anybody know how long the Aura will be in production?

One reviewer believes the Aura won't last until the end of the year.

Given the responses on this forum, the Aura is popular - I wonder if Kobo will change it's mind on a limited run.
This forum is the target audience of the Aura HD, drawing any conclusions from the response here would be foolish. The less avid readers in the rest of the population may prefer smaller readers with less bells and whistles and a lower price point.

That said, "special edition" niche eReaders could be a great way for Kobo to differentiate themselves in the market, they already are the only current supplier of 5" readers.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:33 PM   #369
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
I wonder, has any other manufacturer even hinted at a larger screen ereader with a screen the size of the Aura? While we're at it where are those flexible e-ink screens? I don't know about the rest of you, but I didn't even know there was a considerably higher resolution 6.8" screen out there until the Kobo announcement.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:09 PM   #370
Kozzi
Enthusiast
Kozzi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Aura H2O
Well there is Ectaco jetbook color 2 with 1600x1200 9.7" color eink screen. The price is about 500$ though.
Kozzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:18 AM   #371
david8866
Zealot
david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Aura HD vs Kindle PW
Photos are not mine. Link to original

david8866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:55 AM   #372
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Kozzi,

I was aware of the Ectaco, but hadn't really considered it as the color technology sort of puts it into a whole different category. Frankly, I didn't recall that it had that high a resolution either. Pity they're so expensive, but maybe that'll change like most other cutting edge display tech. Though, in order for that to happen, they'll have to actually sell a bunch... I wonder if anyone has actually seen how they compare with the familiar grayscale e-ink screen? I recall reading that the contrast wasn't as good and that they may have been troubled by glare?
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:26 AM   #373
RZetlin
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
I wonder, has any other manufacturer even hinted at a larger screen ereader with a screen the size of the Aura? While we're at it where are those flexible e-ink screens? I don't know about the rest of you, but I didn't even know there was a considerably higher resolution 6.8" screen out there until the Kobo announcement.
There are two that I know of:

Amazon Kindle DX - $235.00
ECTACO JetBook Color 2 -$499.95

The problem both of these eReaders are over $200. Too expensive for the average consumer who can easily get an Android tablet that can do more.

Aura is the only eReader that seems to be in the Goldilocks zone. The reader is not too expensive (sub $200) and the same time the screen is large enough to separate it from the competition.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:59 AM   #374
lioslaith
Zealot
lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505, Kindle, Kobo Vox/Glo, Nook
I noticed that the Ivory is back up for pre-order at WHSmiths today. Also my order has updated from Awaiting Stock to Ready to Send this morning.
lioslaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:05 AM   #375
Willa
Davidfor's friend 😊
Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra 2
Stalk the postie time!
Willa is offline   Reply With Quote