Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-01-2009, 06:54 AM   #1
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
My red 600 is here at last

My PRS-600 arrived yesterday! It was quite an adventure to get one at all, if possible a red one. The first one ordered on amazon.fr (in black) was never shipped, the second one (in red) got lost in San Francisco, the third one (in red) made it safely here in 2 days (thanks to the seller and Fedex).

My first impression was that Sony should really do something about the box, I can't seem to be able to open it without ruining it. Nevermind, I won't use it that much, but if one day I want to sell the Reader it is annoying. Next: the reader itself. I was told the red of the 600 is not exactly the same as the red of the 505, and it is true for the 2 specimens I have. The 600 red is as lovely as the 505 red, but has a touch of blue instead of the orangy streak there is in the 505 (I hope I'm describing it properly). It is a richer red I would say. The feeling of it is different too. The 505 feels very metally and due to this a bit cold, the 600 feels softer, a bit like velvet. I don't know which kind of coating it is, but it is definitely different. Of course there is no case, just a cheap neoprene black sleeve which I will probably never use.

I then turned it on and had I not been prepared, I might have been disappointed by the display quality, it is indeed milkier as the 505. But, thanks to mobileread, when I decided to order it despite some critics I read here, it was because of the specs and knowing the display quality was not as good, so I won't comment further on that, there are plenty of other threads on this subject.

I connected the 600 to my laptop and installed the new version of the ebook Store without any problem. The authorization went smoothly, which was not the case two weeks ago with my 300. I also transferred all the books (epub, pdf, lrf) I wanted from calibre to the SD card in the reader, as well as the few lrx I have on the ebook Store library.

The menu is really easy to follow and 505 users will find their way around without any problem.

The touchscreen does not always react immediately, or did not always yesterday, but I had read one needs to get the feeling for it so I experimented a bit and it went much better today. I changed the direction of the page change and that made a huge difference, plus I am not scared of touching the screen stronger as I would for my iphone. I love that I can bookmark by tapping twice in the right corner.

I have plenty of books on my SD card, so a search function was one feature I missed a lot on the 505. It is brilliant on the 600, whether searching a book or an author or searching a word in a book. It works perfectly well and fast. I also love the dictionary, even though some definitions cannot be found, but most can.

I still have to experiment a bit more with the notes, haven't done that much until now.

I used my mighty bright travelflex with my new 600 yesterday evening and had no reflection problem at all, I orientated the LED exactly as I do when using my 505.

Last but not least, I will be using a medge cover, probably the green one I have, I do not mind the red-green combination as much as I thought. I even kind of like it now, and my 505 is already in the red medge. Purple would be an alternative, but that will make a great present from DH for Xmas.

Last edited by aceflor; 10-01-2009 at 06:57 AM.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 07:07 AM   #2
dax123
Connoisseur
dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dax123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Silver PRS 600, Red PRS 650, Kindle 3 WiFi (Keyboard), Kindle 4 basic
Sounds great. I'm trying to make up my mind if I'll buy the 600 too. I have a pink 300 right now, but after playing with a 600 in a store for a while I'm really tempted to buy it, just too bad they are only selling the silver. I'm kind of hesitant ordering a different color online after I noticed some dust under screen of the the test 600, just a speck but it was noticable. I think I would rather buy it in a store so I can check the screen before actually buying it.

And of course trying to think of an excuse to spend another 300 Euro's on a machine I don't really need since I have the 300 already. :P

But I did like how it felt and I liked the bookmarking too and I thought swiping the right bottom corner to turn a page felt much nicer and more natural then pressing a button to turn the page.

So I'm going to give it some more thought and see what color I want. The silver was nice that I held in my hand, I know that at the online store the red is out of stock right now, black is available..so going to think hard. LOL
dax123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 08:25 AM   #3
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
I'm glad it finally arrived- and that you like it! I agree, the coating in the back is special.

(I had forgotten about the darn box, I spent more time opening it than actually setting up the Reader- screen calibration and all, not ebooks transfer, of course!)

Have a nice vacation!
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 09:16 PM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
congratulations !!!! i'm so glad it arrived in time for your vacation !! enjoy it !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 04:36 PM   #5
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
Great description - thanks!

I really want the red one, but that doesn't appear to be an option in the UK. If I buy in the USA, can I select UK English to get the UK dictionary?

Thanks!

amjb
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 07:44 PM   #6
300com
Zealot
300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.300com ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
That's a good question amjbrown.
300com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 07:49 PM   #7
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amjbrown View Post
Great description - thanks!

I really want the red one, but that doesn't appear to be an option in the UK. If I buy in the USA, can I select UK English to get the UK dictionary?

Thanks!

amjb
hi amjb, i have a red 600 from b&h in new york. the answer to your question is yes. the dictionary is automatically selected according to the keyboard layout if you choose an american or british keyboard, however you can manually select the dictionary yourself in the options (and therefore switch back and forth depending on your book). i use a french keyboard and i'm currently using the british dictionary.
Old 10-04-2009, 01:17 PM   #8
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
hi amjb, i have a red 600 from b&h in new york. the answer to your question is yes. the dictionary is automatically selected according to the keyboard layout if you choose an american or british keyboard, however you can manually select the dictionary yourself in the options (and therefore switch back and forth depending on your book). i use a french keyboard and i'm currently using the british dictionary.
Thanks!

Expect to be in US sometime over next month. Think I'll be asking for some shop tips!
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 01:21 PM   #9
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by amjbrown View Post
Thanks!

Expect to be in US sometime over next month. Think I'll be asking for some shop tips!
glad to help ! if you're going to new york, i recommend b&h, however they don't sell the covers.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:35 AM   #10
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
I wanted to report after almost one week of heavy using. Well, I really really love it. I have not had any glare problems yet, or let's say I've had the same problems with the 505, which were very seldom and only if the light source is directly in front of the display. Just changing slightly the orientation of the reader solves the problem for me. I use mostly indirect light, no neons or so, but for this use mostly at home or in the car (on those magical moments for him where DH is allowed to drive my car ), so no problem really.

I end up using the dictionary a lot, which makes me realise that I was just lazy before and did not want to go through the hassle, but could have needed it.

The battery does not last as long as in the 505, but I've just had to charge it again yesterday, and it was only down to a half. I think the notes feature uses more power, and I have been using it a lot.

I use a m-edge cover, and that works fine except for the volume button pressure, so I'll cut a tiny piece of the bottom right corner out, probably today. That may also have been a reason for the battery to go down. I cannot for the life of me understand what Sony thinks, delivering the 600 without a cover. It is really not as if the standard cover was that expensive, considering the material they use is crap, so really they could make the effort.

I had some friends over last weekend, she is european and he is chinese, and I made a demo of the 600 since he had heard about it and was thinking of getting one. He was so amazed he wanted to take mine with him home (I had a second one I just sold last night on ebay), the only thing was that he reads often in chinese and I did not know whether that would work out. He is a gadget freak, has had many toys in his hands through the years, and he was very impressed with the 600. I also showed him my 505, which he liked, but not as much as the 600.

I do not care so much for the touchscreen in the normal reading modus, but it makes the dictionary feature so nice. And I do not dislike the touchscreen in the reading modus, it's just as good as the buttons on the 505, but not better.

As a conclusion, I'll definitely keep my 600 and my 505. I'll probably sell my 300, I haven't used it at all last week, and you can get a good price for them in Europe. It is really not much smaller than the 505, so I end up taking the 505 around.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote