Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-26-2014, 04:36 PM   #19366
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Currently reading "Astoria: John Jacob Astor and Thomas Jefferson's Lost Pacific Empire: A Story of Wealth, Ambition, and Survival" by Peter Stark. A great true-adventure story about the first attempt to settle the Columbia basin, just a few years after the Lewis and Clark expedition.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:38 PM   #19367
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Quote:
Originally Posted by covingtoncat73 View Post
Oh, cool. I love stories about lost in the wilderness (whether it be the forest, an island, or space). I've enjoyed everything in that way from Robinson Crusoe and the Tarzan Books to A Brief History of the Dead and the movie Gravity. I'll have to look The Martian up.
You won't regret it. A great story of courage and resourcefullness.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:46 PM   #19368
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
You won't regret it. A great story of courage and resourcefullness.
I love the blurb from Amazon, which reads, in part:

Quote:
...After a dust storm nearly kills him and forces his crew to evacuate while thinking him dead, Mark finds himself stranded and completely alone with no way to even signal Earth that he’s alive—and even if he could get word out, his supplies would be gone long before a rescue could arrive.

Chances are, though, he won't have time to starve to death. The damaged machinery, unforgiving environment, or plain-old "human error" are much more likely to kill him first.

But Mark isn't ready to give up yet....

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 03-26-2014 at 04:49 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 05:46 PM   #19369
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by covingtoncat73 View Post
Oh, cool. I love stories about lost in the wilderness (whether it be the forest, an island, or space). I've enjoyed everything in that way from Robinson Crusoe and the Tarzan Books to A Brief History of the Dead and the movie Gravity. I'll have to look The Martian up.
If you liked Gravity, you'll be VERY pleased with The Martian
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 06:24 PM   #19370
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
I did enjoy The Martian, but maybe not as much as some. I just couldn't get past the fact that he was just too ingenious. I know I should have been suspending my disbelief, but after about the fifth "horrible thing happens, Mark finds a way of getting around it" I was starting to get a bit bored of it. I guess it was fun finding out what the ingenious solutions were, but I'm not sure I'd ever believe one person would come up with them all.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 06:47 PM   #19371
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Just finished reading Mad Ship by Robin Hobb and a I am moving immediately into Ship of Destiny to finish the trilogy. Very good stuff.

(even got ship of destiny with part of my amazon ebook-price fixing refund)
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:48 PM   #19372
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
I did enjoy The Martian, but maybe not as much as some. I just couldn't get past the fact that he was just too ingenious. I know I should have been suspending my disbelief, but after about the fifth "horrible thing happens, Mark finds a way of getting around it" I was starting to get a bit bored of it. I guess it was fun finding out what the ingenious solutions were, but I'm not sure I'd ever believe one person would come up with them all.
If I over-thought it too much I would be concerned that more wasn't made of the danger from gamma radiation overdose from all those EVAs he made on the Martian surface protected by only his spacesuit. But hey, it's a story!

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 03-26-2014 at 07:50 PM. Reason: typo.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:08 PM   #19373
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Today, I completed Thus Was Adonis Murdered by Sarah Caudwell. Purchased last year from Kobo for 79 cents. Very engaging cozy murder mystery. The author displays tremendous skill crafting each sentence. Many synonymous sidebars along with its large vocabulary, including Latin, make this especially pleasing to those readers looking for something with a higher grade level than many typical of its genre. However, she did use a technique I find unpleasant in the final reveal.
Overall, it was well done. I consider it a good read whenever I have to grab my Latin dictionary off the shelf. Rated B [4 stars].

Next will be something in the Star Wars universe.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:39 PM   #19374
bert501
Connoisseur
bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bert501 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I want to hate this book! Based on the attitudes and musing of his main character, Conrad Stargard, Leo Frankowski seems to have been a misogynistic racist! (Women are bitches when they don't do as asked and American Blacks lack a sense of self worth). [Excuse Me!?!]

Yet, I'm halfway through the book, and the author's [insert expletive here] views aside, I am finding this story to be fascinating! The descriptions of daily living, the engineering challenges, even the simple science and mathematical lessons are all interesting. As much as I want slap Conrad upside his head, his unassuming knight routine is quite charming.

The time travel aspects have been kept in the background so far - addressed in interludes, cleverly and purposely pointing out the conceit presented throughout the book.
I agree with everything you said! This is one of my favorite books (and series) but I would like to shake some sense into Conrad at least once in every chapter. Lots of offensive things to skim over while appreciating the story crafting. Frankowski was an interesting guy but oh, my his views? philosophies? politics? yikes! A perfect example of an author I would not have wanted to meet or know but I do enjoy his books.
bert501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:43 AM   #19375
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I want to hate this book! Based on the attitudes and musing of his main character, Conrad Stargard, Leo Frankowski seems to have been a misogynistic racist! (Women are bitches when they don't do as asked and American Blacks lack a sense of self worth). [Excuse Me!?!]

Yet, I'm halfway through the book, and the author's [insert expletive here] views aside, I am finding this story to be fascinating! The descriptions of daily living, the engineering challenges, even the simple science and mathematical lessons are all interesting. As much as I want slap Conrad upside his head, his unassuming knight routine is quite charming.

The time travel aspects have been kept in the background so far - addressed in interludes, cleverly and purposely pointing out the conceit presented throughout the book.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bert501 View Post
I agree with everything you said! This is one of my favorite books (and series) but I would like to shake some sense into Conrad at least once in every chapter. Lots of offensive things to skim over while appreciating the story crafting. Frankowski was an interesting guy but oh, my his views? philosophies? politics? yikes! A perfect example of an author I would not have wanted to meet or know but I do enjoy his books.
Yes. Although, I sometimes find it difficult to separate an author from their work. I'm glad I didn't know about his views ahead of time - I don't know that I would have read the book.

I finished this this evening and my post basically became my review over on GoodReads. I did end up liking the story as a whole, and gave this a rating of 3 (which for me equals "Its ok/ I liked it"). I do plan to continue the series, especially since my husband already owns the entire set.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 03:42 AM   #19376
orangedotgreen
Enthusiast
orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.orangedotgreen can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-fi
This week I finished Second Foundation by Isaac Asimov and The Code Book by Simon Singh.

Quote:
Simon Singh offers the first sweeping history of encryption, tracing its evolution and revealing the dramatic effects codes have had on wars, nations, and individual lives. From Mary, Queen of Scots, trapped by her own code, to the Navajo Code Talkers who helped the Allies win World War II, to the incredible (and incredibly simple) logisitical breakthrough that made Internet commerce secure, The Code Book tells the story of the most powerful intellectual weapon ever known: secrecy.
The book was written in 1999, so some parts of the last chapters are outdated, but the book is very interesting. The concerns for privacy are discussed as a worry for the future and it was interesting for me to see what the views were back then (I had my first computer in 1999 and had a dial-up connection 3 or 4 years later ).

Now I'm reading The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith.
orangedotgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 03:58 AM   #19377
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
The last book I finished was Poppy Done to Death by Charlaine Harris, the final book in the Aurora Teagarden series. Enjoyable enough and on par with the rest of the series, but nothing particularly outstanding.

I'm currently reading The School for Good and Evil by Soman Chainani - not entirely sure yet how I feel about it (as far as the plot goes), but it's a fairly well written and at times very amusing middle grade book.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 05:51 AM   #19378
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
I guess you've never been in the Peace Corps or lived the expat life in a Third World country. While our 'fixes' don't usually repair life-or-death problems, we're constantly working out ingenious solutions to every-day problem situations that would never arise were we still living back in the First World. Little things like figuring out how to make Italian sausages (because we couldn't buy them where we were living,) or filtering water and mud out of a bottle of gasoline bought in a jungle 'general store' because we're too far from a real gas station. A few days ago we helped a friend build a portable 'air conditioner' for his van, so that he could travel south with his dogs without too much heat build up when stopping. A Styrofoam cooler chest, two 3" PVC elbows leading out and a 12v-powered fan blowing in did the trick. A chestload of ice lasted almost 8 hours of constant cold air blowing out into the back of the van! He could leave the dogs in the van when he and the family got out for sight seeing or meals without worry that they'd be too hot! Yesterday another friend wanted help building a still to make distilled water for a hydrogen generator he's working on. It's hard to find a place that sells it here. Easy enough to rig up... Any moonshiner can tell ya how! Such is the life in Third World Countries... or Mars.

Stitchawl
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Koh-Chang11.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	233.8 KB
ID:	120861  
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:27 AM   #19379
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
My reaction was similar to Stitchawl's. After numerous backpacking trips and 4-wheel-drive backcountry adventures, I know that you either find a solution to problems (and there are always problems) or die feeling stupid. The problems require less ingenuity, perhaps, than survival on Mars - such as how to remove a fish hook from a shoulder without causing more damage or how to get the truck out of the sand or the ever-popular power and cooling problems, but they seem critical at the time. Need is the greatest catalyst for ingenuity.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:32 AM   #19380
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
I'm with both Stitchawl and BelleZora. These are astronauts, after all, and they have to be pretty damned near the top of the tree to get that job.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote